Affiliate marketing + sitting = way out of shape!
    Being self-employed and single with all my work being computer-based (affiliate marketing and web design), I of course do way too much sitting and am having a hard time finding a healthy balance between work and play (or exercise or any kind of movement).

What are your tips to finding the right balance? I seem to have zero stamina and tire very quickly and would love to build that up. Any suggestions?

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Affiliate Manager
    Have you tried a treadmill desk? Here's one at Amazon - Amazon.com: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk: Sports & Outdoors

Bob

Ha, ha. Good idea ... in theory. I don't think I could create graphics and do other things while moving.

Affiliate Manager
    Probably not but if you use it for email, research, etc, you could probably get in a good hour or two a day I would think. I've never used one myself so can't say how distracting it would be to do various tasks.

Bob

Schedule time in your day to step away from the cpu. I have been doing 2-3 miles walking a day and have found that having a decent digital pedometer really helps me in keeping track of my daily activity. For me the recommended 10000 steps a day has been a great goal and I find that with the scheduled walk its decently achievable.
    J. Duffield Affiliate Manager at Snow Consulting
    Let's Connect-PassTheSEO|#GSEG|Twitter|LinkedIn|Blog "Knowledge is Power."

Get away from the PC, get out of the house (or office) you must first take a physical break fro your work place.

To get the most benefit I sincerely believe you must sweat and experience pain, no pain no gain is a great mantra.

Some people hate the gym but it does instill a discipline and you are encouraged (or forced ) to work out. Going for a walk is great but you will never push yourself enough.

Go to the gym, start slowly if you are not used to the regime and begin to push yourself on cardio vascular equipment going for a PB each visit and go at least 3 times a week. Gradually introduce some weight bearing exercises to tone your body and build bone density.

If you are not knackered after each session you haven't put enough in, so work harder next time.

Apart from improving your health the release of endorphins will produce a wonderful feel good factor.

I am 68 go to the gym twice a week and beat myself up every time, it may not increase the time I live but it certainly does improve my quality of life.

START TODAY

Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Drumm View Post
    Have you tried a treadmill desk? Here's one at Amazon - Amazon.com: TrekDesk Treadmill Desk: Sports & Outdoors

Bob
    I have one right beside my office table, so that it would remind me that I need to workout, I have used it 3 times in 2 months. This job have made me lazy to the core. lol
    You need strong motivation to workout, which I lack. I have my home office on 1st floor, therefore have to use stairs more than two dozen times a day. Exercise without motivation

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Move to a resort town in the mountains and feel guilty while all the people around you are in shape. I walk, hike and ski but still carry 25 pounds more than I wish.

Another thing is diet. Every chance I get I buy organic. Funny thing is people see the food as expensive and smaller portioned. In reality it has more nutrient and food density than anything sold at Wal-mart. Plus the extra chemicals in processed foods and additives are not good for you. There was a medical study in the last year that showed that processed foods added 30% more weight to people because it takes 30% less energy to digest. Add to that the bulk from the fillers and you know why the U.S. has an obesity problem.

9. Thanks From:

If you want to follow Chuck's advice and eat organic then for a "double bonus" effect take up gardening.

It is great exercise, you gulp loads of fresh air and digging up and eating your home grown potatoes, carrots, onions etc, etc is a joy worth all the effort.

11. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by paavan123 View Post
    If a person drink water up to 6 lit per day. Then he gradually loses weight. Immunity will be improved, memory will be improved, skin do not look dull, cell will be regenerated, maintain the body temperature.
    You cannot generalise in this fashion we are all different and so our bodily requirements differ. Claims that we should drink 8 or even 6 litres a day should be ignored, a male at 6ft 4ins weighing 17 stone would require a lot more than a petite lady.

Be sensible with your fluid intake a "little and often" is the best policy and remember if you are thirsty you are well on the way to dehydration.

Dieting is a decision. It takes alot of discipline. when I spend alot of time behind the computer, I will do push-ups through out the day, stretch and run in place as well. But the good thing is, I don't tend eat much when on the computer, now TV can be a different story lol. Good luck in your exercise, dieting venture.

Drink Guinness it may not be good for your diet but it is the Ambrosia from the Emerald Isle

15. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Guinness is actually good for the digestion which I learned in Dublin.

17. Thanks From:

Everyday, around 10 am, I stop and go for an hour or more walk with the dog. It actually makes me feel better. You just have to "do it". In your instance, start out at 30 mins, twice a day.

I've tried treadmills but I enjoy the outdoors to much. When I exercise, its a chance to rest and rejuve the brain too.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks everyone for the many good suggestions. Part of my problem is I live in the desert southwest and for months at a time it's too hot to go out and walk - even very early in the morning. Many days it's so hot that I don't even want to get into my car and go someplace, like the gym, because it's miserable going back to the car when the seats and steering wheel burn your skin. (guess I need to work on my goal of moving to a higher elevation)

Okay, off to get a glass of water to have within reach!

I like the idea of doing push-ups during the work day. Maybe I'll set a timer on my phone for regular reminders.

Quote Originally Posted by joyaz View Post
    Thanks everyone for the many good suggestions. Part of my problem is I live in the desert southwest and for months at a time it's too hot to go out and walk - even very early in the morning. Many days it's so hot that I don't even want to get into my car and go someplace, like the gym, because it's miserable going back to the car when the seats and steering wheel burn your skin. (guess I need to work on my goal of moving to a higher elevation)

Okay, off to get a glass of water to have within reach!

I like the idea of doing push-ups during the work day. Maybe I'll set a timer on my phone for regular reminders.

Don't blame where you live

I lived in Bahrain for 11 years so had heat and humidity to cope with but still ran on a regular basis. Usually this was when the sun had set but the temperature could still be in the 30's and on a few occasions 100% humidity. Start slowly with a jog or brisk walk for about 1k and gradually increase, you will be amazed how quickly you get to be running 3k to 4k on a regular basis.

When you have built yourself up a bit try running at midday, the experience one you are unlikely to forget but it gave me immense satisfaction (n.b. I only did it once!!!!)

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread