Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hmm first of all alexa toolbar is not accurate traffic rankings, and my traffic rank went down by nearly 15,000 based on alexa, however my webhost stats say different Traffic is increasing.. and I'm quite sure alexa.com is having technical issues... Anyway looks like I might get a new record in sales this month! So I'm sure alexa is full of ****!

<a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=548608979&f=179600589&m=5876081315&p=2"target="_blank">Affiliate goals<a>

Together as a team we can make a difference!
    Spend your life lifting people up, not putting people down. --Unknown

alexa is a joke...as is google and dmoz.

From what I understand, the alexa ranking is based on people with the alexa toolbar on their browsers. And of course not everybody has an alexa toolbar.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    Surprised? This is a spyware tool bar, for crying out loud. It only pretends to be an important tool to try and maintain a respectable image and recruit users.

Wayne

Chuck it Jason,many moons ago it may have been worth something but not anymore.

Rely on your own stats

Alexa can only give an estimate of traffic. For lower-traffic sites (i.e. pretty much everyone) it's not terribly accurate. It's pretty good for spotting long-term trends on merchant and competitor sites though.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I also think that Alexa is having technical difficulties as my stats within Alexa has been all over the place recently.

I have also found another website that ranks sites.

This site is called Ranking.com

I checked my sites ranking within Ranking.com and I found that I had a totally different ranking than what Alexa gives. But then again, they do rank sites differently.

Affiliate Programs Directory
    Pay Per Click Search Engines Directory - listing over 200 search engines
    Webmaster Tools & Resources Directory

We also noticed that the stats on MarketLeap also took a dive. Anyone know how they work and if they are accurate?

Victor Caballero
    victor@realtytrac.com
    Residual Revenue Affiliate Program: www.realtytrac.com/affiliates

Somebody please tell me I am seeing things!!! I just took a look at that rankings.com site and up at the top with a trustguage of 10 are 180s0luti0ns.com

Please tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me.
    One day parasites and their ilk will be made illegal, I bet a few Lawyers will be pissed off when the day comes.
    Mr. Spitzer is fetching it nearer

YouTrek

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So what was the consensus? Does Alexa work?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Alexa can only track computers that have the Alexa toolbar download. If a computer doesn't have it, Alexa has no idea which sites people go to.

Personally, I can't think of anyone who has the Alexa toolbar, so I'm not sure what Alexa's demographics are. If it's more popular with one segment of the population, certain sites of interest to that segment are likely to rank higher at Alexa, but that is not necessarily indicative of everyone else.

So the bottom line is to use Alexa as a "for what it's worth," which may not be much.

Andy

Ranking.com trust gauge is solely based on criteria information used to identify the company as being "truly registered" and has "substantial information & contact resources provided" as stated here.

Our service only ranks a 6 on the trust gauge because we refuse to release additional information and/or purchase their seal service. So take their gauge for whatever you think it's worth.
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I have two sites, one shopping one news and comments. The second one gets at least 4-5 times more people yet it's ranking is 3 times lower on Alexa. Why?

My guess is that users of the other site are younger and more educated when it comes to spyware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jasonco12:
    hmm first of all alexa toolbar is not accurate traffic rankings, and my traffic rank went down by nearly 15,000 based on alexa, however my webhost stats say different Traffic is increasing.. and I'm quite sure alexa.com is having technical issues... Anyway looks like I might get a new record in sales this month! So I'm sure alexa is full of ****!

&lt;a href="http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?q=Y&a=tpc&s=548608979&f=179600589&m=5876081315&p=2"target="_blank"&gt;Affiliate goals&lt;a&gt;

Together as a team we can make a difference!
    Spend your life lifting people up, not putting people down. --Unknown
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(1) "Alexa is a joke...as is google and dmoz" Interesting remark. Maybe when your website is worth X billion then I'll take your comments about three of the internet's best services more seriously.

(2) Alexa is not accurate, but it's the best we've got. Or has one its critics here created something better?

(3) Surely it's a bit strong to classify the Alexa toolbar in the same category as the nasty spyware/scumware out there. I don't understand why people have such a problem with Alexa. What does Alexa do with the data it collects? (I visited Hisbollah's website last week. Will it tell the CIA, who will then come knocking on my door?)

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Alexa is a very useful tool for affiliate managers.

All they need to do is keep a eye on Alexa's Top 100 and "movers and shakers" reports - if one of their affiliates appears in those lists, and isn't a "well known" website, there's a very good chance they're using parasitic software.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Alexa's Top 100 and "movers and shakers" reports - if one of their affiliates appears in those lists, and isn't a "well known" website, there's a very good chance they're using parasitic software.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How? I thought parasitewarez usually didn't generate traffic to the parasite's actual site...

On another note, a site could become a "mover and shaker" by getting slashdotted or something of that nature.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I like traffic lights
    Don't believe me?

let's do a "for instance"

Currently on alexa movers and shakers page:

wildwabbit.com has jumped into spot 17927 from 459969. Checking the main page, it's full of ads for CJ merchants, including eharmony, 123inkjets, planetloan.com, spillsbury.com, hobbytron.com and ebay.com

Do a whois - owner is hiding their details using GoDaddy's "domains by proxy" service.

Domain has no links to it from Google.

Oh, and they offer free games.

Suspicious yet? Those AM's should be.

I like traffic lights
    &gt;How? I thought parasitewarez usually didn't
    &gt;generate traffic to the parasite's actual
    &gt;site...

Look at Alexa's top 100.

IP 165.254.12.202 is ranked #45.

I believe that's Alexa picking up the Hotbar parasite making contact with the mothership.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Azam.com:
    (1) I'll take your comments about three of the internet's best services more seriously.

(2) Alexa is not accurate, but it's the best we've got.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Three of the internets best services? Of the three, only one qualifies the other two are completely dead.

It's the best we've got for what? If the information it provides is bogus and it is completely bogus then it doesn't matter if there isn't a replacement. If the info isn't right it's wrong.

I have to agree that Alexa is not a good indicator of site popularity or site traffic. I have one site that has gone from 101,000 something to 599,000 something at Alexa, yet AWStats and all other server statistics show an increase in uniques as well as page views.

It doesn't make sense that the server is busier and Alexa is showing a huge decline at the same time. I can also tell there's more traffic by the number of E-mails the site is generating. It just doesn't compute.

Andy

Rule #2 of webmastering/affiliate marketing. Alexa is meaningless.

I like traffic lights
    &gt;I have one site that has gone from 101,000
    &gt;something to 599,000 something at Alexa, yet
    &gt;AWStats and all other server statistics show
    &gt;an increase in uniques as well as page views.

Easily explained by your site increasing it's traffic by 5% while 498,000 other sites just below you have increased theirs by ~8%, thus overtaking you in the rankings.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    @ Drewbert-- Yeah, what you describe is suspicious-looking considering those other factors...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by limey:
    Rule #2 of webmastering/affiliate marketing. Alexa is meaningless. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Share the rest of the list...

Alexa.com

One site had its traffic double while its Alexa rank dropped by 100%.

I have read some posts at Associate Programs about how people have boosted their alexa rank by installing the toolbar and making home page the default.

Oh Ya. There is also a reason that all the spyware removal programs find Alexa. Read their terms of use!
    <b><a href="http://5startravelgroup.com" rel="nofollow">5 Star Travel Group</a> - Luxury Travel Memberships</b>
    Lifetime membership pays <b>$1000 commission on two levels</b>
    Very easy to sell, unbelievably lucrative! <a href="http://5startravelgroup.com/contact.php">Contact me</a> for more information.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast