URL Redirect - Deep Linking
    Is the URL redirect for links in Commission Junction simply turned on and off for each link by the A/M? Is it as simple as checking a checkbox for each link that allows URL redirection?

I'm wondering becuase I want to make sure when using a URL Redirect (as an affiliate) that my customer's cookie applies to any page on the advertisers website if they leave and then come back to the site not just to the page I redirected them to initially.

I just want to make sure it's not a process that the A/M can get wrong when they set up the link. It would be very difficult for me to know if it's set up incorrectly and I'm losing sales.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In CJ the AM has two choices, to allow URL redirects or not. Either way when the consumer lands on the merchant's site the cookie is set.

Yeah, what Chuck says, any page will set a cookie for the site.

If you do a lot of deep linking, make sure you check to see that it's working everyday. I've had AMs "accidentally" uncheck that box while making some changes and all my links either led to a 404 or their main index page.

Caleb - thanks for the advice. I will be checking my links.

My A/M is having a hard time getting the links set up right to allow me to link to a page other than their homepage. He opened a ticket with CJ and they told him that he already had URL redirect turned on and shouldn't be a problem.

However, none of the links show the "Destination URL" box that allows me to paste in a new URL and generate a new link. I know it's set up by link because other programs that I'm promoting have it displayed on some text links but not others.

What causes the "Destination URL" field to show or not show on the link? Does the A/m have to populate the Destination URL on the link (rather than leave it blank) in order for it to show up on the link screen that I use as an affiliate?

Its a check box titled "Allow link destination changes ". Its either on or off.

Post the merchant or contact me and I will test the program. Tell me what link ID you want checked.

Chuck, thanks for the response. The link_id is 10757699. The advertiser is eFoodsdirect.com.

You should see a this slot toward the bottom of the Get HTML window: Destination URL

I don't see that for link_id is 10757699 which leads me to believe they have not enabled Allow link destination changes.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread