Sales but No Clicks? Network Quality Inquiry
    Hello everyone,

I am a 5-bar publisher with Commission Junction. I have a situation where I am being investigated by Network Quality for “suspicious activity”. Obviously I’m concerned but I’m not flipping out too hard (yet) because as far as I can tell, I’ve done nothing wrong.

I have an advertiser with whom I’d been doing well earlier in the year, making a couple grand a month in commissions while maintaining a high EPC. They changed their terms on July 26th so that I could no longer profit, so I stopped my campaigns at that time.

Well, come August and September I’m still making substantial earnings (averaging 1600 for both months, about 70% of what I was making before). The advertiser has a 120-day referral period, so I am thinking these are some unexpectedly nice cookie sales (after all, my landing page converted very well).

Now in CJ’s system during this time, the sales are showing up in the performance reports, but without the accompanying clicks. I naturally assume that this is because I have not been promoting the advertiser since July. So last week here comes Network Quality, wondering how in the heck I am getting these commissions without reported clicks. They say that cookie clicks within the 120-day referral period should still show in the reports. So if I’m making cookie sales, I should be getting additional clicks as well even though these are repeat visitors.

My first question is, has anyone had this happen to them before? When they stop promoting an advertiser for whatever reason, then get cookie-based sales without clicks?

Also, what would this look like to Network Quality? My site is above-board (I showed it to NQ), with encrypted links. I use php-based redirect pages within the site to hide the affiliate link for the visitor, and to guard against commission theft. Are they thinking I am hijacking other affiliate’s links? And if that’s the case, wouldn’t the click show up in the reports? Just wanted to prepared at the worst they might throw at me. Although I have a strong hunch this is just some kind of reporting error.

Here is a landing page I was using for this advertiser (all the LP’s are essentially the same)

{"Link Removed"}

Additional info: the commissions have tapered off so far for Oct, with only $160 thru the 13th.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Nabz; October 14th, 2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Link drop.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    You're a 5 Bar but are you a CJP?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    You're a 5 Bar but are you a CJP?
    I was, but now a mid-tier pub. I have my own rep and have been going through her, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience...

That's why I asked to see if you had a network rep. Network Quality is a dark group that response when they fell like it. Best route is to work the system but try and get someone on the phone.

So if I’m making cookie sales, I should be getting additional clicks as well even though these are repeat visitors.
    That doesn't make any sense...
    If I click through your affiliate link and go to the merchant's website and bookmark THEIR website how would that register as a click for you when I go directly back to their website to buy again xx days later?

The consumer wold have to go back to your affiliate site and click a link/banner to register as a click in the affiliate reports. If they bookmark or type-in and return 20 times before making a purchase it would not count as a click.

depends on how clicks can be accounted for I guess. if a merchant is able to recognize and support an affiliate cookie, they could theoretically report the visit to CJ to register as a click. I wouldn't know if this is the case, but it's possible.

but then if cookie clicks weren't being registered/reported, that would be a concern with the merchant.

i'm just clueless as to what the point is. what are they looking for? if the merchant is reporting sales and paying commissions, what's it to them? unless the merchant is questioning it.

A click will only be registered if someone clicks your affiliate link. Cookie has nothing to do with it, its just there to track your sale. In other words, A click places a cookie on computer, Opening a site directly with tracking cookie in place will never register a click.

Easy way to check this: go to the Commission Detail page, and use the export feature on the bottom right of the table.

On the file, one of the columns is click date. I had clicks going back a few weeks before the sale.

nadavs

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread