How do you find Publishers instead of Publishers finding you?
    As an advertiser, I manage a lead based program. I am looking for any advice to help "jump-start" my program. I have already paid CJ to send an email out to target publishers in my specific category, but is there anything else I can do to partner with the 'right' publishers? I feel like I am just waiting around for publishers to apply to my program, but how can I be proactive in finding publishers and partnering with them instead of waiting around?

Anything will help, thank you all!

2. Thanks From:

You should look for publishers on your own, outside of the network - most affiliates have a contact form on their site, and you can reach out and invite them to apply.

Just use google search.. the first few pages should give you a good list to start with. I don't know if this works the same way for lead-based programs, I'm speaking as a sales-based affiliate.

From an affiliate standpoint, adding a new merchant isn't as easy as putting up a few banners, and being done with it. But if a merchant gets in touch directly via my own contact form, I will pay more attention..

Thanks for the reply. In regard to the contacting websites, do you contact them all or only the ones you know are on an affiliate network?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do what teezone said!
    Use a backlink tool like Yahoo site search to find sites pointing to competitors.
    Setup a 14 day trial with brandverity to search for paid search affiliates for your competitor.
    Run a paid announcement on ABestWeb.

When you have exhausted all of those post back to let us know how you did.

do you contact them all or only the ones you know are on an affiliate network
    When I suggested you use google to search for affilates, it was for those already promoting competing programs. Those websites will already members of the network.. sorry if that wasn't clear!

Thank you.

Do you guys have a go-to backlink checker tool or have any recommendations on a good tool to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin_C View Post
    Thank you.

Do you guys have a go-to backlink checker tool or have any recommendations on a good tool to use?
    These kind of backlink checker tools can not find you affiliates instead they will find you only link partners and that is not going to help you. The only way to do it is to manually visit each site and analyze it on various parameters like target audiance, competitors being promoted, traffic etc. and then choose them. I've been doing this from last 8 years and still I rely on manually visiting and analysing each affiliate site. I know this a lot of hard work and therefore if you want here is our website [link removed] that can provide you with solution to your exact problem.

You can either ask for a list of qualified affiliates and contact them yourself OR you can outsource complete affiliate recruitment task.

Amit Singh
    Last edited by teezone; October 22nd, 2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: link drop - please read rules of posting

10. Thanks From:

If contacting affiliates via email, I suggest you come up with some concrete ideas that show that you have actually looked at their website. Most successful affiliates get a lot of these emails and are less likely to respond if the email looks at all spammy.

12. Thanks From:

Amit, I use a combination of backlink and keyword search. You have to have sufficient skills to differentiate an affiliate from a drop shipper or a merchant. It is not easy!

Affiliate Manager
    What search terms are the best to find affiliate sites?
    [URL="http://www.stevendevhomeprotection.com/afa"]Stevendevhomeprotection.com Affiliate Program[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/stevendev-home-protection"]Facebook[/URL]|[URL="http://www.twitter.com/stevendevenport"]Twitter[/URL]|[URL="http://www.stevendevhomeprotection.com/blog"]Blog[/URL]|[URL="http://www.linkedin.com/pub/steven-devenport/33/aa6/aa7"]Linkedin[/URL]|[URL="mailto:info@stevendevhomeprotection.com"]Email[/URL]|T: (806)416-2532
    Established 1997

Unless you are looking for couponers you use keywords that represent your niche. You are trying to find existing affiliates that market competitors or potential content sites that would make good affiliates. Be careful with big commercial sites as they want you to pay for advertising which is an alternative.

As an aside, thank you for somewhat validating that blindly contacting publishers via CJ doesn't pay. My inbox on there is flooded with offers from companies I would really have no interest in dealing with, to the point where I just ignore the inbox altogether, even emails from merchants I already have relationships with.

There's only one merchant who ever issued me an offer via CJ that I took and I tend to think their invitation may have more to do with my performance now vs when I was first denied by them after first applying.

I contact directly when I have a relationship with them. Name recognition goes a long way and I made that on ABW!

18. Thanks From:

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread