Does Linkshare now limit datafeed download speed?
    Just noticed it took my server 10 minutes to download a 7MB gzip file from Linkshare... and what used to take 10-15 minutes (to download all files), is now up to 35 minutes, and still not finished.

Has there been some kind of FTP throttle installed?

It's not my server, as files were downloaded from 3 other networks at the same speed - it's also unrelated to my home ISP, this is server-to-server download.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi teezone,

I don't believe we have set limitations on download speeds to our publishers. Do you have an approximate time of when your server was downloading the files?

--Ranae

I'm noticing significantly slower download speeds today too.
    Your Ad Here.

Do you have an approximate time of when your server was downloading the files?
    Yesterday around 1pm.

As a basis of comparison, my server downloaded 70 MB from 2 other networks in 5 minutes. Then the Linkshare download took 1 hour & 45 minutes for 100 MB - it was running at approx 1MB per minute, which is very slow.

When I review my logs for the automatic download, it was the same slow speed at 7pm. It definitely feels like there is a throttle in place - I can test now if you like..

Hi All,

I do have an update for everyone, there will be intermittent slowness in download speeds for a few days as we are doing basic maintenance to our systems. We expect to have everything resolved by the end of the week.

--Ranae

I want to re-open this issue..

Linkshare download speeds have been very slow again - I had to halt cron jobs two days in a row. It just took 3 minutes to download a 3MB gzip file!

A comparable script on another network downloads 100MB in minutes, which is what I would expect.

Is there a throttle in place..? If so, it needs to be removed..

Hi teezone,

There currently are no limits or throttles in place. Our technology team is looking into why you are experiencing slower download speeds and to see if we can improve it.

--Ranae

Hi teezone,

We've made some enhancements to improve download speeds for our product data feeds. You should be seeing much more improved download speeds.

--Ranae

9. Thanks From:

I see a real improvement in the speed it takes to complete the CRON job.

Thanks for addressing..

Linkshare download speeds have slowed down drastically again.

2MB per minute is simply unacceptable in this day & age.. especially when you have merchants that distribute gzipped XML files that exceed 100MB in size.

This needs to be addressed - I'm trying to use fresh datafeeds, but it makes if difficult when the CRON jobs takes hours to complete.

Update: The download speed is very unpredictable right now - a couple of files just downloaded at a good speed, but it's dragging again.

This morning, starting at 9am, 400MB took 4+ hours to complete.

LS really needs to address this - perhaps servers are at capacity.

Agreed. It takes 9 hours to grab 7.67GB. I can grab 33GB from Amazon in 2 hours 45 minutes. I can grab 2GB from CJ in 1 hour.

I think they need to fundamentally rethink their datafeed architecture. It is obvious that their current approach is very flawed.

I can't emphasize this enough. Slow datafeed downloads adversely affect sales with LinkShare's largest affiliates. If Wal-mart runs a special but I don't get it posted until the offer is expired, it is a double whammy. Barnes & Noble might have the best price now, but I'm still driving traffic to a wal-mart offer that has expired... Its a mess.
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

14. Thanks From:

Hi teezone and isellstuff,

Thank you for your feedback - I do hear your complaints and understand your frustration. We are processing an unprecedented volume of products, clicks, and transactions in the Rakuten LinkShare Network this holiday season and that is why you are experiencing the slowness. We are working to improve our data feed solution.

--Ranae

Ranae, the fact that you a processing a record number of transactions is immaterial. It is the job of any good IT person to predict traffic spikes and plan accordingly.

If I told my website visitors that I'm sorry they can't access my site because I was getting a record number of visitors, then I would be out of business. That's why my hardware setup can handle 3x - 4x the typical traffic peak, with the ability to add a hot spare to boost traffic handling to 8x in a matter of minutes and also add x-infinity new servers in a few hours. AND I HAVE MONITORING THAT ALERTS ME TO PROBLEMS SO THAT I MAY TAKE ACTION!

BTW, all of your competitors did a remarkable job of capacity planning this year.

That being said, I suspect Linkshare's datafeed problems go deeper than a lack of servers/load balancing/network capacity. (although more hardware would help)
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

17. Thanks From:

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread