I am new to the affiliate manager position. I have been involved with it for a few months, but I feel that I have barely skimmed the surface of what it is all about. I would appreciate any insight and advice on the art of building affiliates. Any recommendations on books, sites, etc. where I could read and learn would be appreciated. I know this takes time and hard work to learn, but it would be helpful to be pointed in different directions to learn new things.

I got one for you, how about you give your affiliates some kind of notice when you are switching your program. I received your email about moving to directrack and the old links no longer functioning the day it was supposed to happen. If you can email me that day, surely you can email me a month in advance and let me know it's happening.

Yep ... I did that. My bosses suggestion but in his defense, the old tracking is live and active. We simply did that for the people who won't change until the last minute.

My fault for letting it go out that way ...

Sorry about that. Let me know if you need help switching over.

Affiliate Manager
    As an affiliate manager the biggest thing I can say is be available- phone, im, etc.

Follow up and be honest

Sounds simple but following up can be difficult because you cover so many different areas and I'm sure need to aquire help from many different people.

Keeping your affiliates informed - perfect example of the switch.

Always do the right thing vs. the legal thing.

I'd agree with the information above. You want to have an account manager that is going to take care of any issues that you might have and someone that will offer you the latest updates, limited tech support, consulting abilities and more.

I found this book to be helpful - Successful Affiliate Marketing for Merchants
    by Shawn Collins.

I feel a lot of empathy Kelly, I have been in your situation and I am now again as my second job of affiliate manager in a new company after one year out of the business.

I will tell you part of what I know (I do not share all knowledge unless I see profit, it's also a lesson I learned):

Be confident in yourself. Don't let yourself be discouraged, accept criticism, yes, but also remember, you have abilities from other things you may have done in the past that even experienced aff. man.'s don't have. Put those abilities into use. Your personallity counts here! At least IMHO.

You must learn how to deal with your boss and not only with the affiliates; you know better than him after a few months the affiliate's needs. One of the hardest things for me is to convince the system I work in to make changes, especially if I am new and inexperienced in the area.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread