4 pretty general questions
    Hi,

so first of all good evening to you all in this forums

Ok, so first of all something about me that you get my problem:
    I live in Germany, go to the 13th grade and aiming to study buuut have to get the money from somewhere.

So the plan for me is to work for a year or two and save the money living with my parents and then go studying. But I live in a very rural area where there are very few jobs you can do without training, so I was thinking about the WWW.
    After researching a bit about how to make money online the last week I stumbled across various "get rich in 2 minutes per day" sites but I really don't belief thos so I eventually landed here with the, as I hope, realistic guys.

So now to my questions:
    1. Can I earn 2000€+ per month with a standard 40 hours per week "work time" and how much money would be enough to start with? How much "setup-time" would I need to accomplish such a income?

2. Does it make sense to create a Social site when you are just starting out or are empty forums, blogs etc etc more of a obstacle

3. Does it make sense for me to go for the english market or should I stay in my native German? (I think I am capable of the language, as I hope you can see in my post )
    As far as I see it I know about this field by now It is important to get a niche that has as small a competition as possible which would be easier if I stayed in the German market. On the other hand I don't know how many customers I loose, so I need your tips here

4. One Site or a zillion?

So thanks now for reading this not so short post and helping me out here
    Mat
    Last edited by Mouseff; October 24th, 2011 at 05:10 PM.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    1. Can I earn 2000€+ per month with a standard 40 hours per week
    Maybe after a few years!

2. Does it make sense to create a Social site when you are just starting out or are empty forums, blogs etc etc more of a obstacle
    What is an empty forum?

ok so it builds up with time when I stay active, sounds reasonable.

an empty forum is one, unlike this one, where you have about 50 members, 200 posts and nothing really useful
    What I ment by that is if it gets you anywhere to found a forum/social dependant site right at the beginning.

If I understand your question, you are asking if you should create a Social site that will be empty when you first launch..

Attracting membership is very challenging.. unless you have enough people lined up to make it look active at the beginning (or some fantastic new idea like Twitter!), it will be very difficult to build. I would spend the time & effort on a site that you can update yourself (and not expect others to help build it).

There are so many software clones out there ('build your own social network'), but without active membership, it can become a wasted exercise. I built a Digg clone a few years ago - all it did was attract spammers. Eventually closed it down.

As for your income expectations, it's possible, but there is no timeline or cost that will guarantee that level of revenue. There are success stories out there, but many work the same hours (at least!) and never get close...

ok, so goodbye to the social idea.

As a German, I was educated to think that I'm better than the rest so the question is more likely "how long does it take to get there?"

so now two questions remain:
    1. It makes more sense to build one quality site in the beginning and not a bunch of half hearted blogs, right?

2. Should I go for the international market or stay local and build up a German page?

You can use social networking but Facebook will not let you post affiliate links so you will have to have an affiliate site to point to.

Rather than trying to find a way to market why not start with your passions? What interests you and have you looked to see if there are affiliate programs around those themes?

Should I go for the international market or stay local and build up a German page?
    You really need to evaluate the marketing opportunity. When I ran the HomeExchange.com program we had a German language program but it was difficult to find German affiliates. It was through CJ's German network so I don't know if it was a lack of interest or lack of adverting. Recommend finding all German affiliate networks and see what programs they have to offer. Do your research and don't look for a magic pill that will make you a bunch of money quickly. If you start a new business you are luck if you open the doors and 100's come running in to buy everything.

my passions are kinda nerdy, so I don't really know if that is such a great idea
    Cardistry is basically doing just about everything with cards. Like juggling, only waaaaay more beautiful, elegant, .....

Reading on the other hand... thats not really going to be an affiliate core market, is it?

An idea I had some days ago is to basically write an anonymous diary that is about a typical teenage day and with this trying to get traffic from the age group 14-20 or something like that and then putting some banners on the site.
    What do you think about that btw?

The thing I would like about that is that I really think alot about how the world works, how everyone/thing is playing its part and so on so I could bring my thoughts in on this Idea. (I actually considered that before I was aware of the affiliate marketing, but I dont really know, how that is profitable. Also the question about German or English comes up again, because I don't know if I can "produce" enough quality in a foreign language.
    Also there are good posibilities for Facebook/twitter... pages with this.

Cardistry, have you done any research on that? Are there any sites advertising it with affiliate programs?

An idea I had some days ago is to basically write an anonymous diary that is about a typical teenage day and with this trying to get traffic from the age group 14-20 or something like that and then putting some banners on the site.
    What do you think about that btw?
    I doubt that 14-20 spends much on line and why would you write an anonymous diary. Write a blog on that subject and advertise what 14-20 year olds spend their money on. At minimum you can use AdSense to monetize it.

ABW Ambassador
    Wie gehts. Your English is better than most Americans

11. Thanks From:

That's because he did not go to school here in U.S.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

13. Thanks From:

Hi guys,

I think I can relate since I am in a similar situation (the whole German - English dilemma) and which topic to choose.

I have researched some topics and did not find a lot of information in either language. I would love to do everything in both languages but I am not sure whether to "connect" them, i.e. just offer a translation or have them as seperate sites and not mention that they are both mine.

Any experience with that?

Best, Conni

I don't think there is an affiliate marketing network in cardistry. There are only about two sites in the whole world that meet all the demand, so why should they use affiliate programs?

The problem diary problem:
    Adsense or something like that would probably be wiser, yes.
    Why an anonymous diary?
    first of all: Privacy. I would not just give mine away, but also those of all the people I'm interacting with, family, friends, etc which I just don't want to. Also of course it's easier to be completely honest when the people you are talking about don't know who you are or that you are talking about them at all... So if I just change some names and let some details unanswered, there will be no things in that area.
    A third point is that if you make the whole thing anonymous, the audience can fantasise about the story and who you are, and if you are maybe going to the same school as them or living in the same town, if you know what I mean? They can identify themselves much better when they don't know that you are half a country, continent or half the world away....
    Furthermore I would probably start the whole thing bilinungal and watch the traffic, but enough said to that one

I researched a bit further and if I get it right, the "main" topics like weight loss, make money online, ... are pretty much unlikely to get a decent position in google/yahoo so it makes no sense to try those, right? So I need some sort of nich stuff, that is a preferably new release so I am there right from the beginning, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouseff View Post
    Why an anonymous diary?
    first of all: Privacy. I would not just give mine away, but also those of all the people I'm interacting with, family, friends, etc which I just don't want to. Also of course it's easier to be completely honest when the people you are talking about don't know who you are or that you are talking about them at all... So if I just change some names and let some details unanswered, there will be no things in that area.
    A third point is that if you make the whole thing anonymous, the audience can fantasise about the story and who you are, and if you are maybe going to the same school as them or living in the same town, if you know what I mean? They can identify themselves much better when they don't know that you are half a country, continent or half the world away....

I do get your whole diary thing but I am not sure whether people are going to take the time and read it. Diary posts are usually quite long etc. Moreover, yes, it is good for people to "fantasise" so they come back for more but I don't think there really is an audience. My guess is that many people would simply think "stop whining and get on with your life". just my feeling. then again, i am new to this aswell and do not have that much experience with personal blogs, so my feeling might be completely wrong.

The problem diary problem:...
    The bigger problem would be attracting the interest of "buyers". If you are looking to "make a living", you may want to take a more direct approach; in other words, be a salesman rather than a story teller.... or a story-telling salesman.

And try to choose a product line that will sell. Of course small niches/specialties are the easiest road to SE rankings and other forms of online exposure, but also consider that the scope of demand is a limitation to sales volume potential. Try to find a balance between high demand and limited availability; something that is highly desirable but hard to find is the easiest thing to sell.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

18. Thanks From:

We have eco parks in Mexico and most of our visitors are Mexicans, but we also have thousands of international visitors every month. We have our website in several languages and we work with affiliates in English and Spanish. We have creatives in Spanish and English for our affiliates to use, but it seems like the creatives in English work better no matter the language of the visitor. So you may have your website in both languages: German and English and see which one works better.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread