ABW Ambassador
    Searching google just now, SaveNow pops up with 3 listing from Findwhat.

This is starting to resemble the Ezula thing where they gave results from several Pay per click searches. It is like deja vu all over again (and again ...)

ABW Ambassador
    I have spent a lot of money with FindWhat but no more for a while. I just sent a letter to FindWhat:

"I have just learned that the scumware program called "WhenU" is displaying FindWhat links in popup windows that appear uninvited when users are surfing other websites.

I am absolutely NOT willing to have my site associated with this form of parasitic link placement, and I am NOT willing to pay for traffic from such a source. I will be turning off my listings until I hear from you folks that you are no longer associated with this or any other form of predatory advertising."

Anyone who wants to borrow/adapt this to write their own letters, feel free to do so.

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    ugh.

Just took all my search terms offline. Just notified FindWhat that I did so.

(thanks for the starting point for my own letter, Elisabeth)

I sent an email to FindWhat after Elisabeth did. Pete Neumann, V.P. Business Development
    responded quickly and requested a screenshot of WhenU being used this way. If anyone has screenshot, please post it.

Or if you'd rather, email to to Mr. Neumann at: PeteN@findwhat.com

Use the one on the first post of the topic "Todd" in the CJ thread LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: SSanf ]

It needs to be one of the Findwhat links.

ABW Ambassador
    Great job Haiko, you beat me to it.

The links are clearly Findwhat (they contain "http://....findhwat.dll...."

My account will hit zero tonight and will not be refunded until this is cleared up.

Thanks, Haiko. It's been sent along.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I pulled 4 clients listing at FindWhat and also Knoodle who seem to also support scumware vendors. These guys all are like street corner drug dealers popping out of no where to hijack a commission. Screen shots are effective and we need a section to alert sleeping merchants thta their own sites get trageted too from competitors.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>and also Knoodle who seem to also support scumware vendors.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have proof of this? "seem to" is not good enough, I don't think, to either take action or make accusations.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh my goodness - why can't we all just get along!!! Why do things have to keep changing - I don't have the energy nor time to pull listings. The hell with it.

A big Bah! Humbug! from Findwhat.

I sent the screenshot that Haiko posted to Pete Newmann of FindWhat. He wrote back, saying that the screenshot "clearly defines our relationship with WhenU." In other words, FindWhat is intentionally stealing traffic from Google and other SEs, including those affiliates who happen to also use Google Adwords or pay for Inktomi inclusion.

FindWhat is officially off our Christmas list. Like GoTo--who also doesn't "get it"--they've seen the last dime from us.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ABW Ambassador
    I have not yet received any response from FindWhat regarding my concerns.

THAT is starting to annoy me too!

Elisabeth Archambault

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> why can't we all just get along!!! Why do things have to keep changing - I don't have the energy nor time to pull listings. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope that I will always have the time, energy, and desire to protect the integrity of my site. I've spent a lifetime building a reputation as an ethical person both in business and in my personal life and I absolutely refuse to have that sullied by an organization as inconsequential as FindWhat.

If FindWhat is required to make a living as an affiliate marketer, so be it. I'll go back to the Office.

Elisabeth, try sending the email to the person who approves your keywords. That's what I did, and they wrote back quickly.

ABW Ambassador
    I sent my original note through the Contact form within my account.

I have since written to a couple of other addresses, resending my original note and adding some growls about the lack of response.

I also wrote to LookSmart about their partnership with Ezula/TopText. I had been weighing whether a LookSmart listing would be worthwhile, but when I realised how they were cooperating wtih Ezula I decided, not just now, thanks. And I told them so.

Cedric, I value your comments about integrity. It's hard to sort out where to draw the lines here, but a big issue is that if I don't want others conniving to place parasitic links on my sites, I must not knowingly be part of something that would result in my links being parasited onto someone else's site!

(and for those who think "parasite" is not a verb, it is now!!)

Elisabeth Archambault

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread