I just joined up with discoverystore a few weeks ago, just visted them to get the links updated and run some new stuff, when I saw this:

--------------------------
    Please congratulate WHENU.COM on becoming our Featured Partner of the Month. This partner has risen to become the 2nd highest revenue generator for the month of May after only being part of our program for a short time! What are they doing right? Visit them and see for yourself. Even with a monthly subscription fee for membership their shopping club has produced great traffic and conversion for our site.

------------------------------
    This is not good, correct? Should I leave this merchant fast?

ABW Ambassador
    Maybe somebody here who produces substantial sales for them could email them with a wake-up call. (Mike maybe?)

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Whenu.com/ShopNow were the first hijackers to come to ABW's attention. It started the Parasiteware project. The Discoverystore , Museum Shop, Disney and anyone else just after eyeballs jump on the sales pitch of the scum lords.

So if I understand all this correctly, discovery.com has signed them up for...ah...like a ppc? or an affiliate or merchant partner.

Would you say then (I might be answering my own thinking) that it is best to dump discovery?

ABW Ambassador
    Kinda looks that way ...

ABW Ambassador
    The impression that I get is that when a visitor goes to the home page of the merchant site, there is a popup offering a "discount right now" or "free shipping now", or something of that sort to entice the visitor to click on the popup. The popup contains an affiliate link, so YOUR cookie gets overwritten. At least this is my understanding of what Mike says, though his posts are a bit cryptic, which is pretty understandable considering how pissed off he must be about this link highjacking business.

I went to Discovery store today, and there was no popup. Maybe I'm missing something, or maybe they made a change.

Hey you gals/guys,
    yes, it is hard to read between the lines and such, and deelz you made it more clear.
    I'll watch them for a bit, wont' promote them much yet either.

Yes they had a popup, then it was gone.
    hmm

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    ShopNow/Whenu.com like Gator are desktop applications that have to be downloaded to perform the popups that hijack our traffic. Without the program overtaking your browser and getting triggered by a database of keywords or domains you will not see the popups. They try to interlope on the shoppers choice of merchants by displaying competitors or that merchant's coupons or incent offers after they leave our sites.

Programs like AdaWare treat them like the viruses they are ..and remove them!!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Mike - that cleared a lot up for me [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Ditto bump ^ ^ they are outta here!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread