Lightbulb Cloaked Pages
    Hi!
    I'm new to the affiliating world. I have three questions.

First, I have affiliated with a few places, and I'm offered a cloaked page to put into my site, so that my affiliate ID can't be stripped.
    I don't understand this at all. I don't know how to get it on my page (I use Wordpress-a template was installed for me and I've edited the template from there). I see that it has the option to download the cloaked page in html, php or java and I have downloaded them to try to figure out what they're about, but still don't "get it". I'm assuming it's the better way to go about things. I have a friend who has a very successful affiliate site (whom I've asked millions of questions to, and don't want to continually bother) and noticed his links are www.(hissite).com/to/(affiliatesite).html I'm assuming this means he's using the cloaked pages.

Can someone explain this concept with me and how to implement it, including how I'd be able to link to certain products through this method, as well?

Second question is really basic and may come off as ridiculous. I notice that with the affiliate links I have posted, when they are clicked on, it will bring me to that store, with my affiliate ID at the top of the page. When I click off of the main page to explore a product, click back to explore more and to put something in my cart, etc, I notice that the affiliate ID is gone (it's gone from the first time I leave the main page). I'm assuming it doesn't matter, and that as long as the user got to the home page via my link, anything they buy is going to be commissioned to me. Is this so? Now, say they like the product and want to go back for more in a month... how am I able to continue to make money from that customer? It's likely that they'd just go directly to the website of the online store... This is what I find might be a setback, since I'm not affiliating with services or anything like that.

Third question: Generally, is it ok to change the text links that the websites provide? Say I want to link to a certain product and they have provided text links, but the anchor text in the links is a bit lengthy or generic and just wouldn't fit properly with my site (for one affiliate, the text links have the name of the product in the link, as well as a description..all clickable-it looks terrible and the description is very "blah").

Thanks so much guys, and I apologize for what, I'm sure, are questions that I should already know the answer to. I was referred to this site by the aforementioned affiliate, and he let me know that he wouldn't have been able to do it without this forum, so I'm thinking this is the best place to go. Thanks again.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; October 28th, 2011 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Unlinked

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Hello, you may not be able to run a cloaking script in a Wordpress blog. Use the search tool bar on the forum and search for cloaking as we have had many conversations over the years.

to answer your second question affiliate programs largely use cookie tracking. When the consumer is referred to the merchant site the server sees the affiliate ID in the referring link. It then sets a cookie which tracks the visitor. So it would change when you navigate to another page. Also, don't just send everyone to the home page if you are promoting a particular product. Send them to the product page for higher conversion.

Yes it is OK to change the copy on the the text link and is part of your job as an affiliate. that's why some affiliate rank better than the merchant because they tweak the page copy as needed.

Tell your affiliate friend to not be shy and contribute here as well.

3. Thanks From:

if you have a self-hosted wordpress blog, there are quite a few link cloaking plug-ins available.

I use the free one here and it's been working quite well: Free Link Cloaking Plugin for WordPress | W-Shadow.com

5. Thanks From:

Awesome, thank you. So, because the cookie is set, does this mean that I will also receive commission if they return to the website of my affiliate, to purchase again, without going through my site (unless the buyer deletes their cookies)?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Yes

Thank you sir, very big help.

+ unless they click on someone else's link since, I believe.

10. Thanks From:

I see. Good to know. I'm looking at my affiliates or future affiliates and seeing that most offer a 60 day+ cookie. I'm assuming this means that those who go through my site, receive a cookie for 60 days.

Yes - unless they go to another affiliate site and click through after yours. If they do the other affiliate's cookie will replace yours.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

13. Thanks From:

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread