Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    PayPerCall Q&A with RingRevenue.com
    Today we are doing an interactive Question and Answer with Lorelei Curt
    Account Manager at RingRevenue.com (RR). RingRevenue.com is the tracking system used for pay-per-call with most networks. Members are welcome to post questions or relate their experiences with pay-per-call.

Lorelei tell us a little about yourself and how long you have been at RR?

What is your position at RR?

Vendor
    Thanks for putting this together, Chuck! My background is in advertising & marketing, mostly on the client and agency-side of the business. I've been at RingRevenue for a year-and-a-half as an account manager. I think I was the 10th employee here and we've more than doubled in size since then. So I've had my hands in a lot of pots.

But basically, I work directly with our affiliate network partners, their advertisers and publishers to get call-based campaigns set up and optimized. I'm here to help answer any questions on how to get started and grow with call performance marketing.

3. Thanks From:

Great, sounds like you are a resource for both sides of the fence.

I have to admit that I have been very interested in Pay-Per-Call since it has started to be offered several years ago. Have talked to several successful affiliates who use it to their advantage. There seems to be some confusion on both the affiliate and merchant side as to how it works.

Starting with the affiliate, how does a commission get paid? What are the various types of commission?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Am interested in the ability to remove merchants without contacting the network. Will this be feasible/possible at some point?
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Vendor
    Pay-per-call can sound complicated when online affiliates are used to talking in terms of clicks and online sales. I'm here to help explain it and encourage more people to try it! With phone call campaigns, there's usually call-based criteria that must be met for a call to be commissionable. Typically, advertisers only want phone calls during their call center hours, and only want to commission sales calls, not customer service calls. So commission is usually tied to these types of actions.

Advertisers also like to set up criteria about how long the call lasts. We call that duration. So if the phone call is during hours, if the consumer called to ask about or purchase a product/service, and if the duration criteria was met, it would be commissionable. Each advertiser knows their target consumer best so they specify the criteria that needs to be met for commission to be paid. But most campaigns payout within 45 seconds - 2 minutes, depending on which vertical they are in.

7. Thanks From:

Vendor
    Each network has integrated with RingRevenue differently. Some networks allow you to manage your merchant view directly, while others require some manual intervention. We like to see this type of feedback because it helps us help our network partners on their integration. Thanks!

So what are the methods that affiliates can use to promote?

Vendor
    Regarding how affiliates get paid, it really depends on the terms of the campaign they are promoting. Each advertiser sets their own criteria that must be must for commission to be paid. Affiliates get paid for each phone call that meets the advertiser's criteria.

Common criteria includes: Is the call during the call center's hours? Is it a sales call or a service call? Is the consumer calling from the advertiser's geo-targeted region? Also, advertisers tend to commission based on duration. The longer the sales call, the better for the advertiser. So affiliates are frequently bonused for longer durations.

Vendor
    Advertisers specify any promotional method restrictions tied to their campaign. So affiliates should follow the guidelines posted in each campaign they are considering promoting. But phone numbers can be promoted through coupon sites, content sites, display, search and loyalty sites online. In fact, click-through-rates increase by 5-30% when a phone number is included in the ads. Must be because it gives the consumer increased confidence in the offer.

The beautiful thing about pay-per-call is it allows publishers to try offline promotions also. Publishers are promoting offline via print, direct mail, even TV or radio that they can access on a performance basis.

12. Thanks From:

So through the network interface for a particular merchant an affiliate can get a dedicated 800 number that only credits to them?

What about the merchant, isn't there a system where the site triggers a unique 800 number when the traffic is referred by a particular affiliate?

Vendor
    Affiliates get a toll free phone number which they promote online or offline. Think of that phone number as a unique tracking link in the online affiliate network. It is unique to the advertiser campaign they are promoting. When a consumer calls that number, the call is connected to the advertiser's campaign.

Merchants can also get their own unique toll free phone numbers to track phone calls generated by their own marketing & advertising placements. The pay-per-call platform tracks and reports on all phone calls.

If the merchant's website or landing page is web integrated, then the consumer sees the unique phone number tied to that promotion. This way, whether the consumer clicks or calls, the network reports the action accordingly.

15. Thanks From:

Can you provide a javascript to the merchant so the affiliate link triggers the unique toll free number from their referring link?

Vendor
    Many merchants have phone numbers on their sites. Merchants who value both online sales/leads and phone calls place the pay-per-call javascript on their website so that the affiliate's promotional phone number is displayed to the traffic they drive online. We call this a web integrated merchant.

Traditional affiliates can easily participate in pay-per-call by swapping out existing creative and links for pay-per-call creative and links on web integrated campaigns. If the consumer transacts online, that's tracked as usual via the affiliate network. And if the consumer picks up the phone and calls the phone number they see, the call is tracked through the pay-per-call platform. Letting the consumer choose whether to click or call is a proven win-win experience for all parties involved and leads to incremental lift in sales.

Even if a merchant isn't web integrated, affiliates can still promote their call campaign. This is where offline promotions become effective. You can promote a phone number via mobile, radio, print, etc. without driving traffic to the merchant's site.

Putting numbers up to call as a javascript would work, it wouldn't get harvested as easily. Wonder how many people would make phone calls from a number on a webpage?

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendzilla View Post
    Putting numbers up to call as a javascript would work, it wouldn't get harvested as easily. Wonder how many people would make phone calls from a number on a webpage?
    Many. We use PayPerCall via Shareasale and are very happy with it...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Vendor
    I don't know stats about how many people make calls from a number on a webpage, but I do know people click-to-call from their mobile device all the time. In fact, by adding phone numbers to their search marketing, one affiliate increased their mobile CTR by 250%.

Pay-per-call works great for verticals like EDU, home services (cable, security, insurance), financial services and high-end retail. Think about how consumers need a few extra questions answered, or a human interaction before they purchase or convert. Turns out phone calls convert 30-50% of the time and generally have a higher average order size. So while these are the types of categories that do best in pay-per-call, any merchant can participate by contacting their affiliate network.

So one of the most difficult things to answer pitching this to a merchant is how much is it going to cost. Lorelei I know we have discussed this and the actual cost is dependent on the network the merchant is working with. Are you able to give average costs per call?

Reliable phone list merchants....
    So recently we decided to bring Pay Per Call offers into the network but we wanted to do some testing before hand. We have bought "opt-in" lists from a few different suppliers and they have all turned out to be garbage.

Any recommendations?

Vendor
    We use a formula to help advertisers calculate the going rate on pay-per-call commission.
    >>> (Call Center Average Order Value) x (Call Center Conversion Rate %) X (Affiliate Program Payout) <<<
    So if a merchant's call center has an AOV of $300 and a call center conversion of 50% and pays out 10% through their affiliate program, that would work out to a $15 commission paid on calls that meet the criteria they specify. That criteria can include the things previously mentioned, like time of day, geography of the caller, whether they called for sales or customer service, and the duration of the call.

Merchants can work with RingRevenue or their affiliate network to find out if they're qualified and to learn about the competitive payouts in their category. While pay-per-call is free to publishers, some networks charge the merchants a fee for the pay-per-call service.

Great, that's what I was looking for and have a merchant who is interested. We are waiting for them to add agents to their call center then can employ a test with a few known pay-per-call affiliates.

Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by ConduciveShane View Post
    So recently we decided to bring Pay Per Call offers into the network but we wanted to do some testing before hand. We have bought "opt-in" lists from a few different suppliers and they have all turned out to be garbage.

Any recommendations?
    While some merchants may purchase lists to test outdial blasts to consumers, I wouldn't recommend publishers try lists without doing extensive testing. Instead, work with your advertisers to make a call-based offer available to approved affiliates. These campaigns typically have an offer that is relevant and compelling to the consumers who respond.

Content publishers post reviews on sites with phone numbers. Couponers get coupon codes unique to phone orders. Search publishers get higher click through rates by including phone numbers. Mobile publishers reach massive amounts of click-to-call smartphone users. Loyalty publishers drive highly targeted traffic to like-groups of consumers. These promotional methods and more are all available in the call performance marketing space!

I understand everything that your saying and agree with you. Im aware that the best way to do anything is to generate organic traffic of your own but for the sake of just testing out an offer internally I wanted to obtain one maybe two thousand leads.

For example, we bought 5k "opted in" BizOpp leads. Out of the whole batch there were only 239 actual contacts. The rest of businesses, disconnects, or the wrong number. Obviously they were not fresh opted in leads and we wasted money.

So basically I was asking if you knew of any decent lead suppliers. Again, this is simply for testing purposes and my publishers mainly generate organic leads and will not be using this method

Shane, seems to be a disconnect here. The consumer has to call the toll free number to qualify for a sale commission or lead commission. Buying opt-in leads would have nothing to do with pay-per-call.

28. Thanks From:

I apologize. After re-reading everything I realize that my brain was on a completely different topic. I was thinking of call center work not pay per call. Sorry about that

30. Thanks From:

i have no answer to one thing is
    if affiliate program in affiliate network - rejected
    and PPCall program - accepted

can i still run the PPCall program and earn commission from call program alone ?
    or i still have to get approved by both ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast