FYI - Twice this past week, WeatherCast has installed itself on my computer when I viewed news stories on Yahoo! news pages. In neither case did I get any notice that this was happening (and it certainly never asked for permission). If it wasn't for my firewall alerting me to attempts by "Weather" to access the Internet, I would never have known that an install was even in progress.

Fortunately, the uninstall seemed to work, but when I was done, there was this great big window with a big WhenU logo asking if I uninstalled by misktake (that takes some real kahunas).

I lodged an official complaint (by survey form) with Yahoo!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    WhenU and gator represent everything evil in affiliate marketing. Why would so many class action law suits be active against them unless they refuse to play by anyone elses rules. The fact that the networks still allow the to make commissions by using their hidden installed theftware speaks volumes.

The merchant AM's who knowingly allow their programs to monitize drive-by hidden installs should be fired. Networks that allow the likes of Weather.com to rape their visitors with a hidden installs of theftwarez should just come clean with us and say they could give a crap that commission con-men are their wave of the future.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I had real fun trying to get all the remains of weather and save bundled together off my machine on a drive by the other night.
    The adaware program got rid of mst, BUT it also leaves an Activex component on your computer you must remove. See http://www.doxdesk.com/ which if it still detects any of it still there will give instructions to remove.
    I am getting so pissed offed that sites can't be visited and used without crap like this goin on. I was on a local fishing forum the other day when I got hit.
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.
    Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he spends the day drinking beer in the boat.

Seems that they are really pushing this new WhenU WeatherCast self installer program hardcore. I am finding it all over the place lately as I check sites for compliance to our affiliate program with our service. I follow some links from pages I visit and our firewall gets a hardcore workout... shameful.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    Let me guess..... Any time they want to overwrite a cookie they have an instant "weather alert" - LOL. Just kidding of course.... The next person who gets the thing I'd appreciate them looking at how it does impact cookies on affiliate links though as I haven't seen what impact it does to them if anything at all.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread