I just went to WhenU's website and read their posting about their Code of Conduct ... What a joke!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WhenU is encouraged that the affiliate program providers have come together to release common standards. WhenU has always abided by the key elements of the Code of Conduct and looks forward to continue abiding by those elements and working with the affiliate program providers. WhenU’s SaveNow technology
    - is clearly disclosed to consumers upon installation,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I recently went over to a friend's house. She had just purchased a new computer and was complaining about all the pop-ups. Turns out that without realizing what happened Save! had been downloaded on to her computer.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>- is easy to opt-out of and uninstall if so desired,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    It took us hours to figure out how to get it off her computer, and we wouldn't have been able to do it without asking for help here! What are computer neophytes supposed to do to get it off their computers? And aren't the majority of end-users neophytes when it comes to this kind of stuff?

My friend had no idea why the pop-ups were happening. When she asked her son-in-law, the IT Professional who set up the computer for her, even he just assumed that pop-ups were something you had to live with on the Internet.

The only reason I even suspected that she was being attacked by the Save! software is because I'm an affiliate marketer and had been reading the posts here at ABW.

Who are they kidding? Seems to me that the only people interested in believing this pack of lies are the merchants in order to justify their continued association with companies like WhenU. After the nightmare I went through last week trying to remove their software from a computer, it is certainly obvious that their claims to be adhering to the Code of Conduct are just empty promises designed to pacify merchants.

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Seems the COC is interpreted very loosely. IMO, it's very lax to begin with. But there is the clause in it regarding unauthorized pop ups on other's sites. But I guess that part of the COC isn't going to be enforced??

Of course, there is that clause in there for the out for the networks. Each network gets to interpret the COC as they see fit. Guess we are seeing how they interpret it.

And which network is the one who has stepped up to the plate regarding WhenU's practices? Oh yeah, that would be LS....the network who felt the COC wasn't adequate and refused to participate in that little folly.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

Tracy,

Have you ever heard the saying, "Do as I say, not as I do?"

The Parasites present themselves to the public as upstanding internet businesses, and they are thrilled to give a part of their commission to people who purchase through their links - because they're so nice. Yet they install their software bundled so that the average user doesn't know what they're in for. Can we say drive-by installation??? This software also is next to impossible to remove, even when using the remove facility provided.

Then the pop-ups start. And the frozen/slow computers. And the theft of honest affiliate commissions. There's the speculation that they spy on users, and sell the information to others. Nice, very nice.

I have a friend who repairs computers for a living. He said the first thing he does when people bring one in is to check for these software programs. Once he gets rid of them, most of the problems are normally fixed.

Yes, upstanding internet citizens is what these folks are. Yes indeed.

Unfortunately, some of the networks and merchants don't have the ethics to realize this is detrimental to overall internet marketing. They are going to go where the money is, regardless of the final cost.

The final cost is people who do not trust online retailers, because of the dirty tactics. There's already a backlash to the pop-ups and spam, I predict the drive-by software downloads are about to become the next thing that angers internet users.

So it really isn't surprising that their published Code of Conduct is false, as it would have to expose all the negatives about using their software.

Andy

"If you were born to be shot, you'll never be hung." -Unknown

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread