What should I consider when creating a first Blog
    I know a lot of ABW members have Blogs for their affiliate sites. I been at this for 8+ years now and have never setup a Blog. I know HTML, ASP, PHP & MYSQL but know very little about setting up a Blog.

So what advice are you willing to give me about setting up my first Blog??

Thank you
    Kevin.........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Quote Originally Posted by kse View Post
    I know a lot of ABW members have Blogs for their affiliate sites. I been at this for 8+ years now and have never setup a Blog. I know HTML, ASP, PHP & MYSQL but know very little about setting up a Blog.

So what advice are you willing to give me about setting up my first Blog??

Thank you
    Kevin.........
    Your first consideration must be to ask yourself "Why am I setting up this Blog", your reasons for creating the blog will determine the direction you take.

Be a bit more specific about why you are setting up a blog and I'm sure some help will be forthcoming

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    Your first consideration must be to ask yourself "Why am I setting up this Blog", your reasons for creating the blog will determine the direction you take.

Be a bit more specific about why you are setting up a blog and I'm sure some help will be forthcoming
    I plan on keeping the site up for about 15 month only. I plan on promoting a different product each day or each week. I also plan on posting current offers or deals as they come available. Also from time to time I will include an original article that relates to the sites topic.
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

Perfect use for Wordpress - once installed on your domain, you can add posts in minutes!

If your host provides you with CPanel, you can install Wordpress in a few clicks. If you don't have CPanel, just download the complete installation package directly from their site:
    WordPress › Download

I'm guessing you will add a link to the blog from your main site - your biggest challenge won't be the content/posts, it will be tweaking the Wordpress Theme to match the look & feel of your site.

Once you install the software, it sounds like you have the right skill set to figure it all out... as for the formatting side of things, there have been recent threads here on WP Themes (free vs paid).

Hope this helps!

5. Thanks From:
    kse

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    I'm guessing you will add a link to the blog from your main site - your biggest challenge won't be the content/posts, it will be tweaking the Wordpress Theme to match the look & feel of your site.
    I was thinking of keeping them separate.

Do you mean you would create a blog on a second domain.. ? Not sure I understand why.. it would take a few months to just get indexed, unless you already have a name in place.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    Do you mean you would create a blog on a second domain.. ? Not sure I understand why.. it would take a few months to just get indexed, unless you already have a name in place.
    Yes it is a new domain name "New Site" / "New Project"

"What am I going to enjoy writing about long term".

To me, that outweighs any technical decision in the process. Anything can be monetized.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

If your host provides you with CPanel, you can install Wordpress in a few clicks. If you don't have CPanel, just download the complete installation package directly from their site:
    WordPress › Download
    My same advice applies...

If it's a new site, it will be easy to work with a theme - just choose one, and start posting immediately.

11. Thanks From:
    kse

Ok, just to keep this going:

>> I should use WordPress
    >> Install from Host/CPanel if available

?? I guessing my host Account must have PHP/MYSQL
    ?? Where do I find good Themes (and how to install) Do I have to buy Themes
    ?? What PlugIns should I install & where do I find them & Do I have to pay for them
    ?? What about SEO, what do I need to do
    ?? Do I have to keep patching WordPress or does my host keep it patched
    ?? Do I need to do Backups
    ?? What else am I missing

Thanks
    Kevin.......

?? I guessing my host Account must have PHP/MYSQL

Yup. It sure does. And PHP5 is almost a must now.

Careful with this one. Initially, from your Wordpress install, I'd look at the Featured themes. Almost guaranteed safe.

?? What PlugIns should I install & where do I find them & Do I have to pay for them

I use Ultimate SEO. After that, depends on your needs. Most are free, or have free versiosn. Again, be careful. Every piece of additional code can be a vulnerability. Look at one called WP-Security too.

?? What about SEO, what do I need to do

Be original, be creative, share on Social Media, allow others to share on Social Media, and write GREAT meta data. Don't always use the post titles and snippets.

?? Do I have to keep patching WordPress or does my host keep it patched

Your Wordpress install will alert you on the dashboard, and give you the option to download or update automatically.

?? Do I need to do Backups

I would. There are a couple of good plugins for that too.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

14. Thanks From:

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    kse I wrote this article not too long ago on setting up wordpress for Affiliate marketing.. hope you find it helpful:

It’s Not Brain Science- Build a Niche Affiliate Site

16. Thanks From:

I plan on promoting a different product each day or each week. I also plan on posting current offers or deals as they come available. Also from time to time I will include an original article that relates to the sites topic.
    The products you propose promoting are they in the same market e.g. day 1 lose weight, day 2 lose tummy fat, day 3 lose bum fat. Or day 1 lose weight, day two improve golf, day 3 play the guitar.

If it is the latter it won't work because you will not have the site optimised for such a wide range of products.

Also if you are promoting 1 product a day for 15 months your site will be so crammed full of offers it could look messy and put off your visitors.

Think this one through again, I believe you should be concentrating on a limited range of products make that work then set up another WP site for another range.

Once you have set up one WP site you can set up another in 30 mins max.

18. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by daiarian View Post
    The products you propose promoting are they in the same market e.g. day 1 lose weight, day 2 lose tummy fat, day 3 lose bum fat. Or day 1 lose weight, day two improve golf, day 3 play the guitar.
    Same Market, I would expect I would post Weekly most of the time. It may increase or decrease depending on the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink View Post
    kse I wrote this article not too long ago on setting up wordpress for Affiliate marketing.. hope you find it helpful:

It’s Not Brain Science- Build a Niche Affiliate Site
    Thanks!!! You have a lot of great info their.

21. Thanks From:

Yeah wordpress. Very easy to set up with hostgator. Research on page Seo as well as off page. Are you targeting specific keywords?

Setting the first blog may be an exciting experience. I would suggest to get a blog in some community sites, forums, so you will have readers in the moment you write a first post.

SEO, templates, counters, AdWords - all this stuff can wait till you understand the power of discussion given by the blog. Technical details are not so important, but the content is certainly.

Another question:

I was thinking of turning off the "Leave a comment" option. Is this a bad idea??

I will be posting product/merchant reviews.

Thanks
    Kevin........
    Last edited by kse; November 15th, 2011 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added more info

Another question:

What is the best way to add a Privacy Statement to my Wordpress Blog??

Kevin........

Easy privacy policy plug in

Another question:

What is the best way to add a Privacy Statement to my Wordpress Blog??

Kevin........
    I ended up creating a page in WordPress and then I linked to it from the right side menu. Now that was Easy!!!!

Ok, just to keep this going:
    I won't include a link to avoid any appearance of spam, but I'd suggest looking up "Woo Themes" - they sell themes, but they offer a number of free ones as well to try to bring in customers. I use one of their free themes and have never felt the need to get a paid one. Their branding on the theme is at the bottom and very unobtrusive, and they include some nice built in options for SEO which is quite useful as well.

29. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread