These bloody scumbags are popping up on my site now. No wonder sales are down this month and last month. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yes, file a COC Violation Complaint through Ask A Question at CJ...if that's a CJ links on your page it's popping up on. Got them off my site..... They were gone in less than a day.

Be sure to include the screen shot.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Does that just them off YOUR site of off everyones.

How does someone like me, who doesn't have a PC with Windows, and hence can't load Whenu and test my sites?

Who should I sue, here?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

Drewbert,

Just off your site apparently if they are found to be out of compliance. All I can say is that not long after the 60 day timeframe was up, per CJ's instruction, I filed a compliance complaint regarding popups by whenu on my site. The popups soon disappeared, but I was never informed by CJ as to the actions taken regarding my complaint. I followed up requesting this information from CJ. It seems that it is against CJ's policy to let the person who files the complaint the resolution of the issue. As a matter of fact, I believe that particular ticket still shows as open. The most you will hear is that it is being forwarded to the Compliance Team for review.

So it seems that these companies being out of compliance with the COC only means that they may have to correct for that particular incident.

The real food for thought here is that this meant that my site was basically put on an "exclusion" list, and that this was done very quickly by whenu. Fair to all affiliates...of course not.

As far as your site and not being on a Mac. The only thing I can suggest is that you can have someone who operates windows do testing for you. Again is this fair....of course not.

I have said this many times in the past, and I will say it again. ANY website can potentially have whenu pop up on it. Yes they do target particular sites in the database. My site was not listed. The also will target based off the content of your pages. Which appears to have been the situation in my case. BTW, they still pop up on another of my sites, which is not affiliate related. Yep, right on the front page of my shopping cart.

As far as who to sue...talk to Andy. He's been repeatedly answering that question.

BLFH, you said:"The real food for thought here is that this meant that my site was basically put on an "exclusion" list, and that this was done very quickly by whenu. Fair to all affiliates...of course not"

Does this mean there was an 'exclusion' list?

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

ABW Ambassador
    I just saw this on the "scumbags" site -

WhenU ranks 8th on Nielsen//Netratings for week ending April 27, 2003

Wow

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>mousejockey said:
    BLFH, you said:"The real food for thought here is that this meant that my site was basically put on an "exclusion" list, and that this was done very quickly by whenu. Fair to all affiliates...of course not"

Does this mean there was an 'exclusion' list?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WhenU has had an exclusion list built into their programming. In the db that is installed on the end users computer there is a very short list of domains on which the software is not to operate. This seems to be a legal necessity for Whenu. For example, TigerDirect is on that short list. Now, when they stopped popping on my site, my URL did not show that exclusion list. Nor did Connie's site show when they stopped popping up on her site (even though her site remained in their database on the end user's computer as something to trigger the software). If the software doesn't rear it's head on a particular domain, that says to me that there is some type of exclusion list somewhere letting the program no not to operate on specific real estates on the Internet.

This is NOT an exclusion list as was discussed here on ABW by Haiko that everyone got into should an uproar about because they didn't want their domains known. I stated repeatedly then that there were already exclusion lists being used and that these companies already had access to our URL's if they wanted them by virtue of how their software operates (http referrer info being transmitted).

This type of exclusion list is a much more selective list where only those who b*tch receive some degree of protection, not the aff community as a whole. What it does tell me is that the technology by the software IS there to stay completely away from affiliate domains if they wanted to. Seems logical to me that if they can stay off of 20 domains, they can stay off of all of them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>WhenU ranks 8th on Nielsen//Netratings for week ending April 27, 2003
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, they love posting that one. Seems they've moved up in the Nielsen Ratings since I've been to their site. I wonder though if that's all the sites in their network.

From the COC:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Altering another Publisher's site. Publishers may not alter, change, substitute or modify the content of or appearance to an End-User of another Publisher's Web pages, use that Publisher's content to obtain an End-User referral, or obstruct access to another Publisher's Web pages (regardless of receiving permission from the End-User).
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This has always been the business model of WhanU to do this. It was prior to the COC, after the COC, after the 60 day grace period, and after the Amendment to the COC!!!!

WHEN ARE THE NETWORKS GOING TO ENFORCE THEIR OWN COC?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>COC states:
    The Service Providers involved in drafting this Code recognize that consistent enforcement of the Code is critical to its adoption and acceptance as an industry standard, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When are we going to see you do that?? Oh wait...sorry I just read a bit further and saw this......

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Each Service Provider has committed to enforcing the Code through means consistent with its own business operations and practices, and to communicating and cooperating with its customers regarding enforcement and interpretation of the Code. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's the answer for affiliates who are having WhenU pop on their site!!!!!!!!!

Come on CJ, BF, and Performics. Wake up and smell the cafe au lait. Why did you even waste the space on a piece of paper for the COC on the section regarding Altering Another Publisher's Site? You might as well have deleted that paragraph on Feb 10th when you updated the COC with the bs Definitions and gave them the loophole to stay in your networks with the afsrc stuff.

Now which network has given WhenU the boot? Oh yeah that would be LINKSHARE!

[This message was edited by BLFH on May 11, 2003 at 11:10 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    BLFH (aka the Cajun Queen) .."This type of exclusion list is a much more selective list where only those who b*tch receive some degree of protection, not the aff community as a whole." Well I'm the biggest b*tcher in the group and these WhenU "scumbags (love dat word) so why do they popup on 3 of my sites. I never have ever programmed a advertising popup at EcomCity. Who do I b*tch to at CJ and BeFree to get on that list?

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Mike it's all in who you b*tch to it would seem. See my first post in this thread for the answer to your question.

You got me excited there for a moment B, thought there was a magic bullet!

8,000 aff's filing COC Violation Complaints through Ask A Question at CJ,now that would be interesting

"I haven't failed, I've just found 10,000 reasons why it doesn't work"
    Thomas Edison

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread