I'm at a friends and trying to remove WhenU from her system. I ran Adaware and it didn't detect it. I went into Add/Remove programs, and it is not listed. I went in and tried to delete the file folder, and it wouldn't let me delete it because the program was running. How to you kill this parasite?

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tracy try this free spyware/adware removal tool.
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp

Spybot Search & Destroy is an impressive one-man effort. Its large and frequently-updated database targets premium-rate dialers as well as adware and spyware; it can also remove usage records and keyloggers.

This one searches your hard drive for so-called spy- or adbots; little modules that are responsible for the ads many programs display. But many of these modules also transmit information about your surfing behaviour and more to the net.
    If SpyBot-S&D finds such modules, it can remove them. In most cases, the host program still runs fine after removing the bot.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

I'm in the same boat. I just got a new Dell computer and after 3 days of use, somehow WhenU installed itself. Don't ask how because I have no clue. I've been trying day and night trying to remove this thing. Adware doesnt do the trick. Thanks Ecom.

I have a computer that WhenU pops up on from time to time, even after I've convinced myself I've deleted it. It will go for a long time without any sign, then start popping up like crazy.

I believe WhenU turns it on and off remotely.

I hate WhenU.

They suck.

They really do.

Andy

MERCHANTS! Ask yourselves: "What's in my affiliate program that makes it worthwhile to publishers?" Hint: if you have one day cookies, or if the cookie is deleted after the first sale, or if you reverse legitimate transactions, you have nothing to offer.

I think that WHEN-U blow up your computer it will go away. Until then, WHen-u annoy-u. HA HA HA!

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Would disabling activeX stop WhenU in its tracks?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    Unfortunately, Ad-aware did not uninstall the when-u application on my machine as well. This worked for me.

1) Run adaware. This will remove the registry keys.
    2) Open up the task manager on your machine. (right click on the main toolbar and select "task manager" for windows 2000 and XP) Then look under the processes tab for an entry called "save.exe". do not worry if you do not have one, Ad-Aware may have stopped it. If it does exist, right-click save.exe and select "end process". Confirm the application end process confirmation pop-up generated by that action. If it does NOT exist, continue on to step 3.

3) go to Start-> Find. Search for a file named "save.exe" This is generally located in the c:/Program Files/Save/Save.exe Rename this file something without an exe extension. I renamed mine "save.exexxx"

Please note... This worked for me. It may not work for you.

IamJaloppy

ABW Ambassador
    By the way, you may want to start with a fresh boot.

IamJaloppy

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    And possibly putting an empty file in it's place called "save.exe" with the read-only attribute set, will prevent WhenU from reinstalling itself in a later drive-by?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Drewbert:
    And possibly putting an empty file in it's place called "save.exe" with the read-only attribute set, will prevent WhenU from reinstalling itself in a later drive-by?

Jimmy James Inc. fan club membership # 3312<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not know, but I know if you delete it, it comes back at times. Doing what you suggest above, you may have issues and/or program errors if something local (or remote) tries to access it.

IamJaloppy

Just wanted to say thank you for all the help. I went back over to my friend's house Sunday afternoon and finally ... after an hour of fighting with the system ... I was able to get the Save! program off.

It was IamJaloppy's tip that did it. What a nightmare! What gets me is when you open the text file they claim that all you have to do is go to add/remove programs to remove it. LIARS!

My friend had no idea that she had downloaded this stuff on her computer. So much for their claim that people request and appreciate their service.

---

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>It was IamJaloppy's tip that did it. What a nightmare! What gets me is when you open the text file they claim that all you have to do is go to add/remove programs to remove it. LIARS!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad I helped. I also did not download it. It was bundled with another application I trusted.

IamJaloppy

So tonight I went over to a friend's house to teach him Excel for a project he is working on.

Very first thing, I sit down to his computer and there is a pop-up banner on the screen. He said he had just turned on the computer and not open a browser. I thought, uh-oh. I immediately opened a browser window and went to my site. I spent the entire weekend installing the script on every page of my site that warns people that they have parasites on their computer (see Fighting Parasites). EIGHT! There were EIGHT on the list. And of course, topping the list was WhenU/SaveNow.

And boy was his computer dragging! First thing we did was download adaware and get that crap off. Thank goodness I knew what to do this time.

This is two instances, in as many weeks, that I've visited a friend and found this crap. And neither knew they had downloaded it. I hope all the merchants who associate with this scum realize how much havoc they are inflicting on unsuspecting people. These parasites are not providing a valuable service! A great many of the people they attack can barely navigate the Internet. This is lower than low.

Meanwhile, I'm warning every person who comes near my site if they have parasites on their computer. I implore everybody to do the same. Add the script to your pages. It is very easy. Just cut and paste. If we believe that these scumware spreaders are operating unethically, then don't we have the ethical obligation to make people aware? If we don't tell them that they've been attacked, who will? KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. Spread the knowledge!!! Inform so people will know to get this stuff off their computers. If every ethical webmaster did this, the word would spread much faster than if only a few do it.

---

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Tracy you are absolutely correct. Last year 42% of all computer warranty repairs were traced to BHO hidden installs. Crashing systems is their favorite passtime as they compete for the hidden backdoors and popup space.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Mike,

Why aren't more webmasters making the time to put the script on their sites? It seems to me that they would not only be offering their visitors a valuable service, but also building goodwill and trust for their site.

I see a lot of complaining about stolen commissions, and yet not a whole lot of enthusiasm to add the script as much and as often as possible.

In my case, one of the reasons I put it off was because I thought it would be complicated to do. But once I saw that all this talk about downloading and editing the script, etc., wasn't necessary, and that the easiest thing to do was a simple copy and paste the script, I didn't hesitate. I immediately put it on all 600+ pages of my main site.

This certainly seems to be one positive way we can all work together in the fight against parasites.

Tracy

---

Hi Tracy. Thanks for the post. Our company has been around since 1978 and been on the web for 10 or so years. I have to say that I have been clueless regarding this type of problem. Yes, I have heard about it, but really never paid much attention to it. Haiko just informed me that it is happening to us now. I am trying to educate myself as quick as possible and all the post on ABW has been very helpful. Would you mind telling me your website address so I can see how the script looks in action. Does it only pop up if I have WhenU on my PC? I need to convince our webmaster to put this all over our site but of course they are going to need to know all the details before doing so. We are a large company so I would like to think that we can help make a difference in this fight.

Thanks for your help!

Susan

Susan Shadburn
    Elliott Wave International
    www.elliottwave.com/affiliates

mailto:susans@elliottwave.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread