I received this email from one of my site's visitors this morning:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN, I RECEIVED MY MASTERCARD BILL TODAY AND NOTICED A CHARGE TO WHENU.COM FOR 29.95,IT IS MY UNDERSTANDING THAT WE HAVE NEVER PURCHASED ANYTHING THROUGH THIS SERVICE AND I'M NOT EXACTALLY SURE HOW YOU GOT MY INFORMATION. I SPOKE WITH MY DAUGHTER AND SHE THINKS THAT ON THIS DATE SHE WAS ORDERING ON THE INTERNET AND A POP-UP CAME UP AS SHE WAS PUTTING IN MY CREDIT CARD # AND SHE THOUGHT IT WAS FOR THE PLACE SHE WAS ORDERING FROM AND THEN REALIZED LATER THAT IT WAS NOT BUT, WAS NOT SURE WHAT SHE HAD DONE . I NEED THIS TO BE CANCELED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO I AM NOT CHARGED FOR IT AGAIN. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF I NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE TO CANCEL. THANK YOU XXXXXX <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I replied and asked them to reveal which merchant's site produced the WhenU pop-up. I also explained the whole parasite issue and recommended they use Ad-Aware to clean up their machine. I'll be digging into this and will post any new info as I get it. I've not encountered this before. Has anyone else seen this?

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ABW Ambassador
    Send them THIS LINK and do keep us informed.

Big Daddy Smokes
    Real American Tobacco
    FAST Shipping
    Residual Income
    Lifetime Accounts
    http://www.bigdaddysmokes.com/recruit2.html
    affmgr@bigdaddysmokes.com

Yes, thats the amount Whenu charges for their 'service'.

I have an idea to really really mess with Whenu, but I don't want to discuss it in public.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ernie,

The attached pic is probably what they experienced. This particular pic is from my ecommerce shopping cart. It's very confusing to the consumer I'm sure. It makes it appear that they can get a discount on the purchase they are about to make. Clicking the pop up takes you to whenu's paid service. The cost? 29.95/year billed in one installment http://www.whenu.com/products.html

You would really think the FTC would be all over this from the consumer stand point and truth in advertising.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Tell your site visitor to do a charge back and detail the events to the credit card company.

That is misleading, I imagine whenu gets plenty of chargebacks, at some point the CC companies and others have to step up to the plate and say this is just fraud.

Chet

Thanks BLFH. I suspected this is what happened. I don't have WhenU installed so I couldn't check it out. When I find out which merchant's site this popped up on I'll let them know. I had no idea WhenU was popping up at the point of purchase now. This give a whole new meaning to "secure checkout". I did advise the customer to contact their CC company and do a charge back. I also referred them to this board. I'll email them with a link to this thread in order to help them to keep informed.

Ernie

It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    See the progression of a BHO cancer as it seeks to take over it's host. A Small tumor carefully inserted in a network node posing as a harmless lead paying merchant progresses into a full blown commission killer. They dupe everyone and deserve to be labeled DUPERS. Master plan is to attack every source of traffic and sales on the internet in any way possible to suck off commissions.

Amazing the commission payers are the most duped since they offer these BHO's increased commissions to rob them again and again at the point of sale. Are AM's so stupid they don't see BHO sales are all "incented" decreasing the profit per sale. Also no BHO performs the basic task of pre-sell, brand exposure, pushing specific inventories and streamling the eCashregister check out process. All BHO's interupt the checkout process with an extra step ....swapping their commisison cookie with the actual referral or adding one to the merchant's normally non-commissionable links.

If you feel you were deceived when you installed a program that creates pop-ups, you may want to take action. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) handles complaints about deceptive or unfair business practices. To file a complaint, visit: http://www.ftc.gov/ and click on "File a Complaint Online", call 1-877-FTC-HELP, or write to:

Federal Trade Commission
    CRC-240
    Washington, D.C. 20580

If your complaint is against a company in another country, please file it at http://www.econsumer.gov/.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Mike has a great point. File with the FTC. I filed over those guaranteed govt grant spams, and was part of the settlement, I got mailed $49 - from the spammer. Woohoo.

Chet

Mike,

Thanks for the FTC info. I was just about to look it up. I'm wondering if this pop up is triggered when entering a secure check out page or if it's time delayed from the point of entry on the merchant's site. It appears this is not related to WhenU being a merchant's affiliate, but could pop up anywhere. I've been dumping merchants associated with WhenU for some time now. Either I missed dropping one of them, the visitor clicked a link on an old cached page or something else is happening to non-WhenU affiliated merchants.

Ernie

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    I may be mistaken, but doesn't Whenu work like Gator? If you take the affiliate issue out of the picture - I don't think a mercahnt needs to be associated with Whenu to pop up. Don't they do contextual advertising and competitive advertising? Meaning they could pop up on TigerDirect - even though Tiger is parasite free. They pop up on Tigers site because XYZcomputers bought advertising to target computer sites or sites containing certain keywords.

Linda Buquet :: Affiliate Management Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit ABW Forum
    <FONT COLOR=red size="1">EveryTicket Sports/Concert Tickets :: Irv's Luggage Warehouse :: Executive Essentials Office & Gifts:
    DentalPlans :: HealthPlans :: Avid Hosting :: IntellicontactPro :: zZounds Music :: Roadloans :: MORE!
    </font>

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Worse then that Linda. Both WhenU and Gator, after recruiting affiliate traffic posing as a network merchant, decided to play the advertising mindset game to the max in a lawless online world. Entire ebiz plan was to push the merchant's "greed button" by popping up on their competitions web sites and within their shopping cart checkout process.

Scrapping off privacy information for resell to direct marketers and spammers played into the mix from day one as most lead merchants always do. Some reports of a Gator?WhenU extortion/protection fee have been bantered about here from time to time should a merchant decide to cleanup their own act and bolt from this form of Gorrilla advertising..

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Ok some points to clarify.

1. The merchant does not have to be associated with Whenu. I'm NOT associated with Whenu and that happens on my shopping cart. This particular situation has nothing to do with the merchant's interaction with whenu at all. Whenu targets (and has done so for quite awhile..that pic I posted was captured last year) about every payment system out there. It was the fact I landed on the url for my shopping cart which triggered the pop up.

2. I have watched very closely, and to date I have not seen them popping up on a shopping cart once the secure area (https) has been accessed.

3. Linda, if you ever see a whenu popup on TD, get a screenshot and forward it to Andy. I'm sure he would provide a bounty for that. Because of TD's lawsuit against whenu, TD is on whenu's exclusion list.

4. To know if a merchant is truly associated with whenu or just a victem themselves, you need to click on the whenu pop and see what kind of link you get..and aff link or a link indicating an ad campaign will let you know that the merchant is actively participating with whenu. This is not always the case however.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread