Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    I found out today that WhenU is popping up on Connie's site. I am posting these screenshots per her request. I'm spitting mad, and it's not even my site. I'm sure Connie will have more to say about this.

Keep Your Hands Off My Cookies

I am trying to get ahold of a few people, but evidently they are "out".
    Seems it is not enough that they target merchants, they are targeting affiliates now too.
    Will let everyone know what I find out if anyone ever takes my calls.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

This is maddening -- and ENOUGH!! These people have to be stopped and soon. Thanks to BLFH for spotting this.

So I can keep my eye open if this is popping on any other ABW'ers sites -- may I ask how you're:

1) Seeing these WhenU items? Is there something
    you installed on your 'puter?

2) How do you get those awesome screen shots?
    I was making an eBates digital video, which ultimately my hard drive totally crashed with and I lost the video - but would love to learn how to capture such shots.

Thanks a mil!!

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Ok BLFH see if www.ecomcity.com is getting the WhenU treatment. My traffic and page views are up 40% from last year and sales commissions down by 60%. Only consistant performer is TigerDirect.

WebMaster Mike

Liz,

You have to have the savenow software downloaded on your computer. That's the free version of WhenU. I'm certainly not going to pay for this stuff. I *think* you can get the free version from whenu's site. I got mine through a bundled software download. Just went to CNET and searched for savenow.

I haven't installed any graphic software on this new computer yet. All that is on an iMac I have. Anyway all I do, lacking appropriate software, is hit the print scrn button above the insert key. You won't see anything happen but it's saved to your clipboard. Then I copy it into a Word document. I just do this because Word will let me resize the picture to whatever I want. Once I resize it, I copy it again from Word, then paste it into Paint. From paint I save it as a jpg.

Mike,

Your site is not in their database. I'll keep a lookout as the db updates itself. You may need remind me occassionally, as I'm getting just a *few* requests. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nevermind, I'm going to go start a list right now of sites to keep an eye on.

BLFH,

Can you tell us where and how you openned the database file for whenU? I am going to install it on a spare box I have and want to keep an eye on it myself.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Coming soon
    Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Coldwater Creek, OverStock.com, Buy.com, TigerDirect and more.....
    Email me for more information.

BLFH,

Great work!

=============

Connie,

Remember when I said Smart bargains was the biggest POS merchant? ... This is why! They actively support all parasites and now by targeting an affiliate site I think even less of them!

FWIW - Half.com is a constant customer of all the parasites also!

I would call them and give them an earful, to start [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Chris,

It will be in a SaveNow folder in your Program Files. It's called savenow.db

I opened it with notepad. But a couple of other people have had trouble opening it. Not sure why. They got that binary code gibberish.

Thanks for the info. Will look at it shortly.

Chris

----------------------------
    Scriptsforyoursite.com - Coming soon
    Featuring datafeed import scripts for Art.com, Coldwater Creek, OverStock.com, Buy.com, TigerDirect and more.....
    Email me for more information.

ABW Ambassador
    BLFH, Haiko - How the hell are we supposed to stop these F'ers if you all keep posting out in the open like this? Use your heads for Christ's sake. Now one more opportunity to catch the beast has been squandered.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Deelz,

Nothing has been squandered.

We are actively moving forward on many fronts, not just one that anyone can read with wordpad [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko - this has nothing to do with software, programming, etc. It has everything to do with not letting parasites know which bush we will be hiding behind, waiting to pounce.

If Ross-Simons had not dropped a parasitic affiliate so quickly - AS A RESULT OF INFORMATION BEING POSTED ON A PUBLIC FORUM - we may have had an opportunity to deliver a potentially fatal blow to Whenu.

I understand what you are saying but I also feel it was necessary to make public the fact that affiliate sites have become targets. It directly affects people here who may have become targets and would have never known without these posts.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Do you tell your enemies when and how you plan to ambush them?

if you do you will lose any advantages you had.

Think about it.

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

Deelz,

We are moving forward to get the managers to drop the parasites, that is our only impetus and end result. If that is NOT congruent with others plans, they better act *NOW* or get the Hell out of the way ... because there the steam engine is of truth coming through!

</font></p>

I would respond to the concerns, but in order to do so adequately I would probably have to divulge information that should not be given in public. I'll just have to leave it at that.

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko - listen to what Gordon said. Silence is golden. ABW has been the official "alarm system" for thieving parasites. As long as you keep flapping your trap, you are working for the parasites, wittingly or not.

How many merchants must you convince to drop parasitic affiliates? 1,000? 10,000? Good luck.

After the parasitic account is deactivated, they can simply create a new dummy site and account to get approved with, then add sub-accounts on their own without further merchant approval. I am not divulging sensitive information here; you and I and everybody elso knows they can do this.

So getting a LS or CJ merchant to drop them amounts to nothing, they can be back at it in a matter of days (or hours, most likely).

My goal is to either get the NETWORKS to drop the parasites, or to stop their activity altogether.

BLFH - Thank you!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> BLFH - Thank you!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO! That will teach me to try my hand at sarcasm.

Take a deep breath Deelz. Nothing sensitive has been said in this thread. WhenU is popping up on an affiliate's site. A very prominent affiliate whose site is known by many other affiliates. An affiliate who has been very vocal regarding this issue. I will go out on a limb here and guess that WhenU knew someone was going to notice. And just *maybe* that was their intention. Or *maybe* they just don't care. No master plan has been given away. If anything all this thread has done is call attention to the fact that there are things going on behind the scenes and make them more industrious in trying to find out. If it's even a concern to them.

Haiko said nothing in this thread prior to your comment except his thoughts about smartbargains.com and half.com How does that comprise anything.

Connie was given the information privately. She wanted it made known to the community at large. Her request was honored, pure and simple.

What has happened to Connie's site and what happened with Ross-Simons is what WhenU's business model is based on. It's not a big secret to anyone. WhenU openly market's the concept on their web site. The pop ups on Connie's site and on Mondera's site, courtsey of WhenU, happens 2 Billion times a month for over 200 online advertisers (information from WhenU's homepage). To say that someone posting the Ross Simons incident publicly has caused a "potentially fatal blow" to WhenU to not happen is a far stretch. 2 Billion times a month, the exact same thing that happened with Ross Simon's happens involving other parties. If Ross Simons was a potentially fatal blow, than there are 2 Billion more of them happening every month. So if you know how that could have been a fatal blow (and please don't say what it was publicly), then know yourself out. You have a couple billion more opportunities just waiting for you.

And I won't be goaded into saying something publicly that could be harmful, just to try and justify why the information here was posted.

Thanks BLFH -- you're a wealth of info!!!

And before we all get nasty about public debate on this topic with regards to the boards -- I'm just as guilty for not shutting up. But do promise to do so from hereon. I agree with the fact that in order to "plan an ambush" it needs to be done so privately without prying eyes.

But Haiko -- I don't know where I'd be without these boards -- they have educated me beyond belief! Keep up the great work with them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

With my best,

Liz
    http://Styleforfree.com

Deelz,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My goal is to either get the NETWORKS to drop the parasites, or to stop their activity altogether.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The networks will not stop their activity, there is toooo much money at risk here! The only ones who will stop it are educated merchants ... We *will* see what happens [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] !

=========

Liz,

We are a good community and I am happy that you are a part of it!

</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    Haiko I am not going to argue with you, but I will say this:

Have you been thrown off the scent? Or are you one of the ones who are doing the throwing? Your constant interjections in defense of Morpheus make me wonder.

El Posse de los Babosos Locos is obviously getting nowhere with this.

That is just sad. Connie.. you must be quite upset on this? I'm in the process of feeding this parasite and spyware schemes to over 100,000+ consumers :0).

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

My understanding had been that these programs work universally, acting equally against any web page that comes up on an infected computer. I thought they looked for "key action" words and/or the link-to url in the browser to determine what and where to redirect or pop up overlay ads.

Is the activity on Connie's site indicative of a new approach, targeting specific sites based on knowledge of their target audience?

If so, it would confirm trends that I have seen on one of my sites.

L4

Can somebody post a link to where I can download the savenow.db file, I don't want to install the WhenU software on my system. Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast