New Merchant Seeking Affiliate Advice...
    Howdy all!

Okay, so I've recently received stock on a niche product that has been selling well already with no advertising and very little seo to date.

My gut tells me finding affiliates might be a really solid route for this niche/product.

That being said, as a newbie, it's quite overwhelming knowing where to begin.

Here's the question I suppose: I'm semi-savvy and could feasibly install my own affiliate tracking software. Or I could partner with an affiliate program.

Figuring out the affiliate program to join seems to be what's overwhelming at this point. Perhaps I'm seeking some direction from folks as to where to begin my research.

I've found this list of programs, but it gets a touch overwhelming trying to make the right choice:

Affiliate Future
    AvantLink
    Commission Junction
    Digital River
    Link Connector
    Linkshare
    Pepperjam
    Shareasale
    Webgains

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by postalball; November 10th, 2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: misspell

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Have you researched your competition? "Birds of feather flock together".

Find out what network your competition is on and that's where the affiliates will roost...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    Find out what network your competition is on and that's where the affiliates will roost...
    I have researched, but my mind actually went the opposite direction so you've made me think:

Is my reasoning incorrect to think that an affiliate doesn't want to dilute his/her message? The "roosting" affiliate(s) have already partnered with competitors. Why would they partner with me?

My thought was to go a different direction because of this. But I'm open to learn here. I'm new...

thanks for the response!

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Also contact their sale rep and ask for a list of merchants in the same category. The more difficult it is to get the information should be an indication of how well they will work with you.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by postalball View Post
    I have researched, but my mind actually went the opposite direction so you've made me think:

Is my reasoning incorrect to think that an affiliate doesn't want to dilute his/her message? The "roosting" affiliate(s) have already partnered with competitors. Why would they partner with me?
    Because there are x amount of merchants in one vertical doesn't mean an affiliate is promoting more than one at a time. We build niche sites based on ONE merchant. Affiliates have been known to swap out merchants for a number of reasons, ie: better commission rates, better conversions, better datafeeds, better promotional materials, better support - more money...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I have been working in gambling business some time ago. You may seem it strange, but all the merchants were the same in all competitor's websites. Also all of them were trying to get higher in the list, better reviewed, more ads displayed etc.

Try experimenting with different affiliate networks and producs. In some time you will see what is more profitable.

I recommend going with a strong network. You recruit within and outside the network. There are several good networks out there. Be sure to be honest with yourself. How much revenue do you expect in the first year, can I meet the minimum requirements, does the ROI work. On a niche site, these questions alone will narrow things down for you.

8. Thanks From:

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread