The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    Am I the only one who watched the finale of Friends last night??

The first commercial (60 seconds @ $4 million) was an AOL commercial telling all their members to sign up with U Promise: Free to sign up!!

Edited "WhenU" to U Promise ~Leader

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Am I the only one who watched the finale of Friends last night??
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Probably! Shows get cancelled for a reason...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The first commercial (60 seconds @ $4 million) was an AOL commercial telling all their members to sign up with WhenU: Free to sign up!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ack! Hopefully a lot of people took a pee break and missed it, or just didn't pay attention...

Time-Warner does have affiliate programs so maybe those programs should be made aware! Although T-W is well-known for having departments that step all over each other...and despite recent noises about trying to change that culture, I doubt that there will be any real difference in that attitude.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    You sure about that?

About what? Is that directed at me or Billy?

ABW Ambassador
    At Billy, i can't see AOL pushing WhenU, did a search on it and found nothing.

If you're asking me (Billy) - I'm SURE because I WATCHED it!

It was odd seeing WhenU mentioned outside ABW!

The only thing I'm not sure of is how many people saw it. One newspaper said NBC expected 45 million viewers (2nd only behind the super bowl), another paper said could go high as 80 million viewers!

Trust - it was UPromise!!!

Great! How do I change the title of this thread!!!

Leader - do you have any white out???

ABW Ambassador
    It is UPromise and they are not only advertising on TV but to every new subscriber as I recently pointed out here.

http://abw.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tp...43&m=172102754

ABW Ambassador
    And?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Leader - do you have any white out??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Great! How do I change the title of this thread!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If it's within the editable time, just click the icon with the eraser and folder (lower right of each post) and then put the title you want in place of the old one. Of course, this only works when you've started the thread.

I've edited the title of this thread already...

ABW Ambassador
    @Trust ....... And?

I don't know how good your model is but I doubt very seriously it's good enough to compete long term with an application with that has backing from AOL, Citibank, Coke, McDonalds, grocery stores including bi-lo, piggly wiggly and many others and then there is RemindU that will be picking off your sales as well.

And all you have to say is........ And?

I know your position well but the facts are that as companies like gator, 180 solutions get investment capital and you have AOL advertising UPromise on TV and on their website, it's not a good indication IMO that affiliates will be able to effectively compete against these models long term as they become more emblazed in the publics eye. Sure you will be able to get some sales but to really prosper long term will likely be another completely different story as these software providers gain capital and acceptance in the marketplace.

I know you think that longhorn, the FTC and more educated consumers will eventually solve these issues but - I personally don't!

Most affiliates wont drop a merchant when they have a lousy $2.00 earned with a merchant that requires a $25.00 payout even when the terms are changed to be terrible and they know they're getting ripped off. Do you think that consumers who have earned $100's in college tuition for their children will drop them quickly? Ugggh, I don't think so!

Small timers and even larger sized affiliates who are looking at affiliate marketing and expecting long term results with traditional based models should consider this carefully IMO and better be putting lots of money aside.

Thats my "and" for folks to consider.

ABW Ambassador

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Trust,

uReminder is a TopMoxie product like Ebates, MyPoints, etc.

Any popups/redirects which may occur will happen on the click thru to the merchant's site. That is, it is the merchant's URL that triggers the software action. Whether this happens on an affiliate click thru is variable. Some TopMoxie programs seem to be more "compliant" than others. How an affiliates site is coded can effect this also. How "compliant" the company licensing the TopMoxie program seems to be factor also.

It's been awhile since I've tested uReminder app, so I'm not sure what they are currently doing. In the not so distant past, I was still seeing some redirects on affiliate links.

From your post that you linked to, I have a question though. It's ok with you if the redirects happen as long as the end user agreed to the download?? Just curious. Or was your question regarding consent aimed at whether or not UPromise is downing bundling and/or drive-bys?

ABW Ambassador
    It's not ok with me if advertising is popped on/off my site or on/off my traffic on the initial click thru to the merchant, whether the user agreed to dl the shopping application or not. If something on my site (keywords, text) triggers an application to launch advertising i consider that parasitic. From what i read the TopMoxie clients used to do this but are not now from the links we pick up from the network and when they did, it was called a glitch. And when people posted videos (igive), weren't they posting this happening (glitches)? If no popping is happening around my site or at the merchant site from the click from my site, then i'm ok with that. And i consider the TopMoxie clients different from the others like 180, Gator, WhenU that will pop on my site and off my clicks.

Basically no popping advertising over my site or from the initial click from my site to the merchants. I consider that parasitic.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread