Google Testing for 2012?
    I read that Google is testing changes to it's rankings. If I understand what I read Google will look at content above the fold and lower rankings for sites that have a higher portion ads to article content.

I'm wondering what that will do to coupon/deal sites whose content is predominantly ad bases (Text or banner)?

Anyone have any ideas?

superCool read that Google has purchased an infinite number of monkeys to hand edit their rankings. they're still working on getting it right, but someday they probably will.

3. Thanks From:

That put a on my face.

Once again, superCool gets it just right!

I've experienced the weirdest google results this evening (not my own site results). Searched for coding help, and the top spot was iTunes... completely unrelated. I found what I was looking for 3-4 pages in..

Must have been temporary as I can't replicate it now..

I read something about Google in an article on the internet, so it must be true.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

7. Thanks From:

OOPS - read the article again.... google "hired" the infinite number of monkeys. They did not "purchase" them (superCool's bad - sorry ). This is good news though, since google will have the option to lay off some of the monkeys when they get the rankings fixed. What would a company do with an infinite number of monkeys who have nothing to do? What a mess that would be!

teezone - sounds like you need to find a new search engine that provides better results

Quote Originally Posted by davidh View Post
    I read something about Google in an article on the internet, so it must be true.
    The article appeared on WebProNews and referenced a session provided by Googles Matt Cutts and Amit Singhal at PubCon Las Vegas. According to WebProNews, Matt Cutts and Singhal were the ones who mentioned this.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Read that as well - leaves plenty of questions:

What screen size? Desktops, cell phones, tablets?

What is too many?

There was also a good comment on that article:

Avoid depending on google AT ALL COSTS, consider google trafic as a bonus, not a reliable source because it is not.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

What is considered an "ad" anyway?

12. Thanks From:

I just read the article.. not sure I'm taking away anything new, as I always assumed ad-to-content ratio was key (and that would include above the fold).

However, I have seen enough sites with 10-15 ads per page that will definitely be impacted..

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Just purchase a year-long agreement from the new Google SEO Services and they guarantee you get top ranking, its called adwords or something like that, only a dozen dollars a click.

They did say that Google is not counting links it doesn't consider backlinks like affiliate links. We had a speakers enclave which was mostly SEOs and when asked by Brett Tabke if they thought buy back links was black hat all said no. Just buy for the right reasons and they consider it more of a traffic generator.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    They did say that Google is not counting links it doesn't consider backlinks like affiliate links. We had a speakers enclave which was mostly SEOs and when asked by Brett Tabke if they thought buy back links was black hat all said no. Just buy for the right reasons and they consider it more of a traffic generator.
    Lost me on that one, Chuck...

There was an example given where a site had 10,000 backlinks so should have had tremendous ranking in the SERPs. The SEO said that not all were considered as counted backlinks as affiliate links are seen as advertising links. So its still a crap shoot as to what Google considers in their ranking algorithm which is the way they want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    There was an example given where a site had 10,000 backlinks so should have had tremendous ranking in the SERPs. The SEO said that not all were considered as counted backlinks as affiliate links are seen as advertising links. So its still a crap shoot as to what Google considers in their ranking algorithm which is the way they want it.
    But what does backlinks have to do with "ads above the fold"?

It was a general discussion on Google ranking, can remove as off topic if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    The article appeared on WebProNews and referenced a session provided by Google’s Matt Cutts and Amit Singhal at PubCon Las Vegas. According to WebProNews, Matt Cutts and Singhal were the ones who mentioned this.
    Matt Cutts' job is to confuse and frustrate search-engine-optimizers.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

20. Thanks From:

I have to agree with davidh on that one

With all the changes - past, present & future - it's common sense to to build a site for readers.. who among us wants to see 10 ads before content is presented?

Yesterday - and for the first time - I clicked "block all results from..". It seemed to be a decent reference site for coding, but the content was buried within too many ads. So it makes sense that I should avoid showing too many ads on my own sites.

Update regularly, good unique content, genuine relevant backlinks is the message as I understand it.

I have thought about what G is trying to do and it is rewarding the type of sites from which I will benefit as an interested visitor, so I guess I will follow suit.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread