Okay I'll explain what I experienced and if anyone would check into it with your own investigations that would be awesome.

Here goes, I was at a website that had a banner served by bfast. I clicked the banner and entered the lendingtree site, noted the affiliate ID url above in my browser.

Strangely the page refreshes and a nice little message says "sorry because you have been inactive for 30 minutes your session has expired. Please click here to continue.

So I do and do you think the affiliate ID was still there? Try no noway nota zip!

Now just to make it clear I had not even been there for the thirty minutes. In fact it was less then three minutes.

Very suspicous if it isn't out right fraud.

BTW I backed my browser to see if the affiliate ID would continue from the start page if I clicked links and it does but not if they can throw in a 3:30am refresh tag that eliminates user sessions and affiliate ID's

A point I need to add to this is that this does not mean lending tree is doing these things on purpose. But um well (BS) I just don't want to get sued [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Speculation along those last lines (them not doing it on purpose):

I HATE to play Devil's Advocate--but you said this happened after about 3 minutes. It's real easy to type 3 instead of 30 into the code by mistake (dropping a digit is a common error), especially if their programmer is typical--ie, doing it at 4 AM while totally jacked on Jolt Cola!!

So they MAY (and that's a big "may") have intended a 30-minute session.

Of course, that leaves the question of why on Earth they would CUT OFF A CUSTOMER BEFORE HE/SHE COULD BUY even if it took them 10 years to make the decision!!!

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Leader ]

Yes that is true, it could just have been a simple code mistake.

I like your second part better though.

Why would they even have a limit to time on a site before it needs to reset.

I never heard of that before. All I can say is I'm not going to promote them on my site with that going on.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread