Question Black Friday/Cyber Monday Best Practices
    I was wondering if any program managers/merchants have any suggestions for affiliate promos during Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Do certain types of promos tend to work better than others? For example, a buy 2 get 1 Free as opposed to
    "Spend x amount to receive a $10 Gift Card". I know this may be an impossible question to answer - depending on the product - but just wanted to hear experiences from others.

Specifically, I am looking to launch a promo for a digital product. Not a lot of overhead so there's flexibility with this one.

Here's one for merchants:

DO NOT SEND ME YOUR BLACK FRIDAY DEALS ON THANKSGIVING IF YOU WOULD ACTUALLY LIKE THEM POSTED!!

Every year more merchants than I can count decide that between 4PM and 11PM on Thanksgiving is a good time to send out their Black Friday deals to affiliates; it's not. I understand their need for secrecy, but the fact that they've already leaked it on Facebook kinda negates that.

I spend Thanksgiving with my family. I have no intention of interrupting my dinner because merchants either 1). don't plan well, 2). don't trust their affiliates, 3). think that they're the ONLY merchant that I promote or 4). just don't get it.

So merchants, if I don't have your deal by Monday 11/21, there's a good chance that you'll have zero placement on my site (and possibly hundreds of affiliate sites).

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

3. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    GreenAffMan, if you generally offer a 10% discount double it. If shipping is expensive, make it free.

rematt is right but its tough on our end too. I put a Black Friday link in CJ for their Black Friday newsletter and it was posted by several affiliates. Merchant was upset even though the link was stagged. Next time will only make it available to my private account and flip it at midnight Thanksgiving. Its a Catch-22 but I agree its ridiculous to pimp on social then restrict from affiliates.

5. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    What rematt said. Some wait till the last minute, then it's a flood of deals coming in, and it hurts your chance of getting up.

"I put a Black Friday link in CJ for their Black Friday newsletter and it was posted by several affiliates. Merchant was upset even though the link was stagged."

I never really understood merchants getting upset because their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals get posted early. It's good for shoppers so they can plan their purchases. Even the major companies are releasing them early nowadays.

I never really understood merchants getting upset because their Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals get posted early. It's good for shoppers so they can plan their purchases. Even the major companies are releasing them early nowadays.
    I agree but in this case the affiliate channel is given a special 20% deal versus the standard 10%. And its not offered to dealers who direct sell. The merchant knows he is going to get flack but is giving affiliates a competitive advantage.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Get the promo announced early and offer at least double the standard promo. Those are some great ground rules. Chuck, your idea about flipping it at Midnight on Thanksgiving is a great one. Luckily, this merchant isn't doing business with any direct dealers, so I think I'll be safe to make the announcement ahead of time.

My only other dilemma is offering too good of a promo (if there is such a thing). While it's feasible to offer a "Spend $20 get $10 Off", could we feasibly get just as many conversions with a "Spend $20 get $5 Off"??? The product is pretty niche and there is not a lot of competition out there, but there still is competition nonetheless and I don't know what the other guys are going to come out with.

Depends on the competition, interest in your product and competition. Why not test the best offer you can make then decide. If you go too cheap and get a poor response you don't gain a thing. If you go high and clean out inventory then you something to gauge against.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust View Post
    Sometimes the reason may be contractual (between retailer/vendor). Others may be due to pricing concerns. If you "know" you're going to have the lowest price on a product, why would you want it leaked before it's live where it may be potentially replicated by others?

I pick and choose who I release details to, especially when I don't want to to be leaked to the consumer level. I've had affiliates leak info before a promotion/sale is live and link to a bad page or somewhere the customer isn't going to see a deal. It's a terrible customer experience and can end up driving customer care contacts, which can cost a bit of money, or just upset the customer to the point where they won't want to shop our sites. I do see and understand your point, though.
    [SIZE="2"][COLOR="DimGray"][B]Online Marketing Manager[/B] (tom.featherstone at surlatable dot com)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="1"]Sur La Table - The Art and Soul of Cooking[/COLOR][/SIZE]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread