Affiliate Program Options
    Wow, it would have been nice to find this place earlier! There are a few questions I've developed while reading around this board.

First a tiny bit of background. At the moment, our only product is some web marketing software used for content creation and spinning. When we first started out we used PayDotCom and Paypal, but due to some massive issues with Paypal, we had a few days to get a new affiliate program running as we had no way of accepting payments. The fastest and seemingly most effective to use was Clickbank, and we scrambled to get it online.

Offering discounts, coupons and having any kind of control over your products kind of sucks in Clickbank. On top of that, they won't allow yearly subscription options as they apparently cause higher rates of chargebacks and refunds. So, we've been looking at launching a new affiliate program.

We haven't yet been able to decide between using a hosted all in one product delivery and affiliate solution like Nanacast, or just using a self hosted script like Post Affiliate Pro (PAP) for a complete in-house solution.

On this forum, there is a lot of talk that in house solutions are not anywhere near as attractive to new affiliates unless you already have a name. I wouldn't say we are a nobody, as we are now getting mentions on the various IM forums fairly regularly. People know it is a great product, it gets good conversions and has a super low refund rate by Clickbank standards. However we still aren't a big name.

Using a self hosted program also means that we can start offering 2nd tier comissions to people very easily, as it is built into PAP. Clickbank now have a JV option, but creating a new partnership and product link for each 2nd tier affiliate would be a massive pain.

So, looking at our requirements:
    - Discount options for specific affiliates* (integration partners)
    - Second tier/JV system for attracting more affiliates
    - Recurring billing capable
    - Good control over creatives/links/products

*With Clickbank, you can give certain affiliates a different link, but it doesn't lock the price for them, anyone could just use the link.

Coupons would be a nice to have, but this can be done down the track by implementing PrestaShop or something similar which integrates with PAP.

Clickbank *works*, but it sucks in that you have no way of communicating with your affiliates unless they sign up to a list, you have to stick all your creatives and links on a webpage and creating new products sucks. Something like PAP gives you complete control over evertyhing and puts it all in one place. BUT, it sounds like self hosted isn't always a good idea. E-junkie would have been the ideal alternative with an existing network, coupons and low fees, but unfortunately they don't have any support for recurring based payments whatsoever.

Having read this, what would you recommend - self hosted, stay with Clickbank, or even some other network? Is using the 2 tier approach a good idea to attract more affiliates?

Cheers guys

I'm in a fairly similar position (slightly established software company with an in-house affiliate system), and I've sometimes wondered as well about whether switching over to an established affiliate network would be worthwhile. But, I can say from experience that it is possible to get a decent sized affiliate network with a self-hosted system- we're up to just over 600 affiliates now, and I get 1-3 applications a day. Not sure how that compares to the numbers you're hoping for from your own program, but it is comfortable for us, even though we'd like to grow even further, of course.

Having 2nd tier commissions is definitely attractive, and that seems to help offset some of the concerns that may lie around an in-house program. We've even had more experience affiliate marketers sign up for our program with the sole intent of promoting it to other affiliates and getting 2nd tier commissions, and I'm totally okay with that and think it's pretty useful, really.

The big challenge with in-house programs seems to be establishing credibility and trust- I know for us, the simply act of responding promptly to questions and concerns that we do get has been a good practice in that regard, but I wish I had more ideas on this front myself. Maybe some others here can chime in with what has worked for them.

Cheers for the response Aaron.

I've decided to move to an in house system. I think it will be better in the long run when we have a series of products.

Clickbank makes it so easy for people to buy through their own links and we are losing a LOT of money because of this at the moment. That's one of the main reasons I'm switching, as well as just having more control over giving specific affiliates more commissions and discounts. I know there are some networks that let you do this, but none of them tick all the boxes.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Have you looked at HasOffers?

Just had a look. It looks like has similar features to Post Affiliate Pro but way more expensive. What does HasOffers do differently?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    They have a supporting network you can pitch your offers to.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread