Flash based blog software?
    I'm thinking of adding a small blog to a website that I am still working on and I came across Flash Blogger by coffee cup software. It is very easy to use and to update also, that's why I wanna use it. However, would that affect the SEO of my site because the content would be in flash format? Or does anybody else know any simple blog software that allows you to just paste a smalll code into your html page, as this flash one does?

I really liked that software when I tested it a couple of years ago.. unfortunately, anything Flash should be avoided at all costs now, especially now that Adobe announced they will no longer be developing Flash for mobile devices (seems Steve Jobs had the last laugh after all).

ZDNet: Adobe's no longer developing Flash for mobile devices (Updated) | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

When it comes to blogging, you won't find a better platform than Wordpress. The install is easy, and it has SEO benefits.

I would avoid flash blogs and everything related to flash as some people use flash blockers to save laptop power.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Flash isn't terrible but it has no SEO value. If you write content and use some Flash images or video to enhance the content you would be OK. Just don't overload the site. Look at your pages through a text browser to see what gets indexed.

Just keep in mind that those flash images/video will NOT be seen by people browsing on the millions of iPhones and iPads out there. (Unless, that is, you can detect the device and replace those flash displays with viewable images on the fly.)
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

All that aside. I never heard of this myself and took to Google to find it and I had a heck of a time at that. Once I did find it, the first hit was the support forum which holds an important sticky:

Important Announcement Concerning CoffeeCup Flash Blogger | CoffeeCup Software

it's a dead product to start with. they replaced it with some service-based thing.

Ahh, that's a shame.. it was actually a terrific product...

Flash was a difficult platform to learn, but it could produce some pretty magical effects (I'm speaking in past tense as I haven't woked with it for a couple of years!).

As for blogging software, Wordpress is the obvious choice, as there are tons of resources out there (both for learning and community support).

Use your own skills and word in blogs and then you will will have a nice article for you blog.

I would prevent display weblogs and everything relevant to display as some people use display blockers to spend less notebook computer power.

learn HTML5 , thats working on everything now I believe. I hear people say, lets go mobile, I have a Droid, I can already see everything on the net. But for those that don't, I'm looking at boilerplate
    [url]http://deathchallenge.com[/url]

Dislike flash format because it requires more pc resources for processing. Yes it is nice and cool to look at but I prefer old-school stuff.

After producing the flash slide show with our flash tool. You will get two output ... Upload Flash slideshow for Blogger - flash based blog

But you know that how to optimized flash blogs? Its a very hard optimize of flash blogs.

Flash will slower your site which is not good for your site to be ranked in search engine.

I suggest you choose based on what will make your site look best AND give good user experience. I've found that sites that have good balance between text and Flash content provide better user experience than all flash or all text ones. Below is Google Webmaster's help page on Flash content:

Flash and other rich media files - Webmaster Tools Help

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

I suggest you choose based on what will make your site look best AND give good user experience.
    I have to disagree here.. a few months ago Adobe announced they were discontinuing flash for mobile devices. Not to mention, you can't see Flash on iPhones or iPads.

It doesn't matter how pretty the effects are, no one should be spending time building sites using stale technology. Skip flash altogether, and build special effects using more widely-accepted platforms like jquery, etc.

If you value people with iPads and iPhones who won't be able to access the Flash content on your website, then find a way to deliver your content through other means. Regardless of what you choose to use in your site or to build it with, it is best to keep in mind how your site would look and how it would affect user experience.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

Sorry, I have to disagree again..
    If you value people with iPads and iPhones who won't be able to access the Flash content on your website
    Why would you even consider excluding millions of potential readers??

Flash looks good to those who can see it, but that doesn't change the fact that it's on it's way out. My recommendation stands - use Jquery or some alternative.

Do not waste time deploying Flash on websites..

If you value people with iPads and iPhones who won't be able to access the Flash content on your website, then find a way to deliver your content through other means.
    is what I said and not just what you quoted. My point is to give value to user experience when building websites be it on whatever application.

Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

My point is to give value to user experience when building websites be it on whatever application
    The question was whether or not the OP should use flash-based blog software, not about the user experience - this isn't about applications in general. Of course the user experience is important, but that doesn't answer the question.

The answer is no, flash should not be used as blog software - the site won't be SEO friendly, and millions of users won't be able to see it.

I don't recommend flash based blogs. It is true that now Google is indexing flash content but in flash you don't have any opportunity to insert links. I mean in flash content you are not able to use HTML tags so you can't get any benefits of external/internal links.

If you want to create just an attractive blog and don't want any SEO purpose in it then only you have to use Flash otherwise it is not worthy to use Flash in any part of website or in a blog.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread