What software? Where to begin?
    I am new to blogging/creating a website. I spent the last few weeks creating the first 20 articles which I want to post as well as ideas for the upcoming articles.

Where I am lost is what software to use? Am I a blog or a website? My goal is to create a site with indepth explanations on the services I am recommending. I will, once I figure this portion out as well, begin to do affiliate marketing on the site. However I would like to get the site up and running first as I imagine I will have some creative changes along the way.

Most everyone recommends WordPress for the blogging. My plan is to have a site which is privately owned/registered (not mysite.wordpress.com), has the ability for viewers to comment on each article either through my their own login or gmail/facebook is fine, and is easy to manage as I have no programming experience at all. Initially I would be looking about about 25 pages in total (20 articles, 5 other pages).

One of my biggest concerns is what if this takes off? How quickly am I out growing wordpress and is it easy to upgrade to additional features through them or export out to another company down the road?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    One of my biggest concerns is what if this takes off? How quickly am I out growing wordpress and is it easy to upgrade to additional features through them or export out to another company down the road?
    Paralysis of Analysis!

You aren't talking about enough pages to make a difference at this stage. Jump in and don't be a perfectionist. You are better able to know what you need when you have something to work with. Find a WP theme you like, put it on a domain and add your articles. You have bigger fish to fry like figuring how you are going to get traffic to your site.

Quote Originally Posted by Resource212 View Post
    Most everyone recommends WordPress for the blogging. My plan is to have a site which is privately owned/registered (not mysite.wordpress.com), has the ability for viewers to comment on each article either through my their own login or gmail/facebook is fine, and is easy to manage as I have no programming experience at all. Initially I would be looking about about 25 pages in total (20 articles, 5 other pages).
    You appear to be confusing the blogging software WordPress with the website wordpress.com.

WordPress the blogging software is something you download from wordpress.org and install on a server with your unique domain name and webhosting account (or dedicated server).

Wordpress.com is a site running that wordpress software which lets you create a blog that they host.

You want the self-hosted wordpress software from wordpress.org, NOT wordpress.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Resource212 View Post
    There's little likelihood you'll "outgrow" wordpress blogging software. I personally know someone who has a wordpress site that's one of the leading sites in the astronomy industry and has something more than 100,000 posts. He's doing just fine (actually makes, the last I heard, something like $10,000+ per month on it and is a leading source of astronomical news on the web).

Chuck's right. Just get yourself a domain name, a webhosting account, download wordpress, install it, and go! You can always redesign/reconfigure things as you go along.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy View Post
    You appear to be confusing the blogging software WordPress with the website wordpress.com.

WordPress the blogging software is something you download from wordpress.org and install on a server with your unique domain name and webhosting account (or dedicated server).

Wordpress.com is a site running that wordpress software which lets you create a blog that they host.

You want the self-hosted wordpress software from wordpress.org, NOT wordpress.com.

There's little likelihood you'll "outgrow" wordpress blogging software. I personally know someone who has a wordpress site that's one of the leading sites in the astronomy industry and has something more than 100,000 posts. He's doing just fine (actually makes, the last I heard, something like $10,000+ per month on it and is a leading source of astronomical news on the web).

Chuck's right. Just get yourself a domain name, a webhosting account, download wordpress, install it, and go! You can always redesign/reconfigure things as you go along.

Gary
    I have the domain and hosting through Go Daddy. They have an additional monthly wordpress feature which I purchased and waiting for the site to go live so I can begin experimenting with it. Hopefully this is what I need.

I think you answered my questions with regards to outgrowing it. A final question I would have is whether there are firms similar to web design companies that would work strictly on wordpress? I have no experience at all in design and while I do expect to be able to pick it up at some point it would be nice to have an experienced designer for creative input.

Thanks for the help so far.

You will find extensive resources that support & develop Wordpress... just do a search for "wordpress theme designer".

There is no shortage of professional expertise, design & otherwise ... it's one of the most popular platforms out there.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread