I received this spam email from an affiliate:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    To: <deleted>
    Subject: My Family Discount
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"
    Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:46:24

Dear Family and Friends,

Please use the following link to get my Amazon.com employee discount. Don't give out my employee link to every Tom, Dick, and Harry!

Just copy and paste.
    http://www.geocities.com/brianboyle63040/Index.html

Take Care,

Brian
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The site includes what looks like an affiliate link to Amazon.com - i.e. it's possibly a fraud as well. The spammer is possibly trying to get commission under false pretenses. (In case you're wondering, the affilate ID is myhomepage0af-20)

It really p*sses me off frankly to struggle to get visitors to Amazon.com to scrape my 5% to see this sort of abuse going on.

Hey, that sucks!

I don't know if Amazon will care, but you might mention it to them. They probably don't want to be blamed for spamming just because of one dumb guy!

Trinity

Yeah I reported to Amazon and also the ISP. I guess he's planning on removing the link as soon as he gets the orders so to cover his tracks.

What gets me is the fraud aspect that he's pretending you get a discount, whereas he's just ripping off the 5% and legging it.

ABW Ambassador
    Well, even though Amazon has been wretched with responses on the WhenU issue, when I reported a spammer using Amazon affiliate links, I received a response within a week that the spammer had been deactivated.

ABW Ambassador
    Hey don't worry about it. Amazon likes Whenu and probably any other kind of pathetic scheme to get sales.

They are also very busy coming up with new ways to avoid paying affiliates for sales (Circuit City, "buy it used now", "seller usually ships within 24-hours", and all the other non-Amazon stuff they try to get people to buy after we refer them).

It was genius.

amazon.com in general has a reputation of being ruthless about their business in general. I know, because I live in the area where there are physical amazon.com employees, based upon a local newspaper article, they run a sweat shop with the book orders, the factory settings have been less then ideal when it comes to how they treat their lower employees. My suggestion, go through another supplier, I won't do business with a company that treats their people this way and neither should you.

In case you wanted to do some research further into it, contact The Tacoma News Tribune, as well as just about any Media company in the Puget Sound area, they will back me up here. The facts speak for themselves.

Something else to keep in mind, they have been in the red for quite a while, I don't see a long term future with that company simply based upon the capitol they generate verses the debt.

I hear working for Amazon in Lexington is pretty odious, too.

I have a personal soapbox page with geocities and I was pretty sure no one could sell anything "unapproved"... Before I went and quoted their policy and suggest you or I should turn him in I found that his geocities page is already gone...

Boo hoo for him [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Actually the thread got resurrected from a month ago, the I reported it via SpamCop and to Amazon who acted pretty quickly.

It's an object lesson though in what NEVER to do to try to make money - it was clearly a complete (and illegal) fraud.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread