Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I've posted in the past that I was having trouble getting paid by Walmart.com. Here is a recap of what has happened to me and an update of the situation. I strongly urge everyone ot stay away from Walmart.com because I am literally in Walmart Hell!

I participate in the Walmart.com affiliate program through Linkshare. The terms are simple;

-they pay 3% on all goods if your monthly sales are under $5,000.01. 4% of your sales are $5,000.01 to $15,000 and 5% your monthly sales are over $15,000.

-The monthly threshold is only $10.

-Commission payments are paid the month after they are earned.

-Linkshare guidelines consider a payment to be timely as long as it is mailed within 35 days of the day it was due.

The good part...

I joined this program in October in anticipation of the holiday season. The product selection was so-so, but the Walmart name seemed to be a major appeal that could give one of my gift sites a "big-league" look.

The really good part (so I thought)...

Just as I predicted, Walmart was a huge hit on my site. I didn't realize that my loyal customers were also huge Walmart fans. It was a perfect marriage. During the months of November and December, I sold over 3,000 products for just over $100,000 in gross sales. As a result, Walmart owes me just over $5,000.

Now the bad news...

The 35 day "overdue" date for November's check passed without any payment. Then, a few days later, Linkshare's payment report showed that Walmart reported to them that all November checks were mailed on 1/11/01. When the 20th came and I still did not have a check, I e-mailed both Walmart.com and Linkshare to tell them that I feared that the November check was lost in the mail.

Linkshare responded right away and told me that Walmart informed them that my check was not mailed because I never supplied them with a completed W9 form (this didn't sound right, but I went along with it). I completed a new W9 and confirmed that Linkshare would send it to Walmart. On 1/24/02, Walmart reported that all December checks were mailed.

Now I just spent the entire month of Febuary e-mailing linkshare and Walmart to ask them where my checks were. Not once during the whole month did anyone at either company return my e-mails. On Friday I sent them my "FINAL NOTICE" letting them know that if I did not receive a valid response from either company I was going to go to my local U.S. District attorney or one of the big New York city TV stations to report possible internet fraud.

It pissed me off even more that five days later they STILL did not respond so I spent the day on the phone. I called the Walmart.com headquarters in CA. The receptionist refused to transfer my call to their affiliate department. She stated that they are not taking any phone calls because they are getting bombarded with calls. :mad: She refused to say for sure, but she hinted that EVERYONE was calling looking for their $$$$$$$.

I thought I would try a back door so I called back and asked for the I/S department. I spoke to a tech and gave him the e-mail address that is listed on Linkshare for the Walmart.com affiliates program. He told me that the e-mail address was invalid and DOES NOT EXIST in their mail system!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I was really pissed so I called Linkshare. They refused to help me because it is their policy that affiliates deal directly with merchants when the merchants control the payments. They didn't seem to care that they didn't have a valid e-mail address for Walmart.

I was left with a merchant who has an invalid e-mail address and is refusing calls and Linkshare who could care less.

Now I just received an e-mail from the account executive at Linkshare who opened the Walmart account. Here is part of it...

We thank you for your business and support during the holiday season. As you can imagine, the holiday season is just as big for us as it is for you and payment processing takes much longer for this time of year as we have many more affiliates to pay. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience. We will follow up with you when payment has been sent, but we expect it to be sent next week.

And another response from Linkshare...

I am concerned that you are not receiving the emails that I have sent to you. This is the most recent correspondence, sent today, on behalf of Walmart.com. They have delays in processing the commissions from the holidays. I have confirmed that you are in the queue to be paid next week. I will notify you when I receive confirmation that your check has been sent.

So basically, Walmart.com are a bunch of liars! There was never any problem with my W9 form. They also LIED when they posted on Linkshare's site that both the November and December checks were mailed. I checked around today and I couldn't find a single Walmart.com affiliate who was paid!!

I'll let you know next week if those checks ever do arrive. For the time being, STAY AWAY FROM WALMART.COM unless you too want to go to WALMART HELL!

[ 03-14-2002: Message edited by: seaslug44 ]

I think going into a Walmart is hell in and of itself.

I hope you get your check. What a mess. I'd be over the edge if someone owed me $5,000 and didn't pay on time.

ABW Ambassador
    SeaSlug44,

It may be time to fire off a call to good old Bentonville, AR and talk to someone at the WalMart headquarters. Getting the caca rolling downhill might just get you paid.

If that doesn't work, then I would definitely call the local media. If one of the local TV stations has a local cunsumer reporter that "fights back" you might get them involved.

Or Hell, better yet, just file a lien on WalMart. You may not ever own WalMart but I bet you sure get their attention.

Mike [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Heck, just go with the local media, and make sure they mention your URL half a dozen times.... Might as well get some sales outta the deal, right?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    "Or Hell, better yet, just file a lien on WalMart. You may not ever own WalMart but I bet you sure get their attention.~Dr. Evil"

Yeah, do it! It'd serve them right!!! And definitely get it onto as much TV as possible, too!

So the "payment report" is just what the lying, deadbeat merchant TELLS sNare... <sarcasm> oooohhh...THAT'S real reliable... :rolleyes: </sarcasm>

Hmph!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We will follow up with you when payment has been sent, but we expect it to be sent next week.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, from reading thru the entire thing, ignoring the unsubstatiated inuedo about some big rip-off conspiracy, I have to conclude that there was some sort of screw up with your check, possibly lost in the mail or an oversight on Walmart or Linkshare's part, but you are expected to get a check cut next week.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Uh...you're ignoring a lot of other things they said, Jimbo...

For instance:

"Linkshare responded right away and told me that Walmart informed them that my check was not mailed because I never supplied them with a completed W9 form (this didn't sound right, but I went along with it). I completed a new W9 and confirmed that Linkshare would send it to Walmart. On 1/24/02, Walmart reported that all December checks were mailed."

That was their answer to Seaslug's FIRST complaint--what makes you think their last answer is any more legit?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Walmart's affiliate program is run by the advertising department who are NOT responsible for sales results...just hits. Walmart requires every single vendor who sells to them to use EDI/EFT paperless vouchers and payments. So getting anyone there to address cutting paper checks, other than payroll ( most likey an outside service bureau for those) is an exception not a rule. All other distributor/vendors get paid with 15 seconds of posting the shipping notice to garner in the lowest prices. Uncle Sam adopted this same policy for everything purchased under $250,000 price tag ( as if someone would shaft the US Gov't. by not shipping) and created the first surplus by lowering costs by 1/3rd.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have to conclude that there was some sort of screw up with your check, possibly lost in the mail or an oversight on Walmart or Linkshare's part<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Jimbo this is not correct. There is no evidence that Walmart is paying ANY of their affiliates.

As of today, 3/14/02, it's been 104 days since the November Commission was earned, making the November checks 69 days overdue and the December checks 31 days overdue. As of midnight tonight, the January checks will be officially overdue.

You tell me how that is an <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>unsubstatiated inuedo about some big rip-off conspiracy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>???

Walmart is THREE checks behind on all of their affiliate commission checks, they knowingly informed Linkshare TWICE that checks were mailed to affiliates (when they knew that they were not), they supplied Linkshare affiliates with an Invalid e-mail address and they are refusing to accept any phone calls from affiliates.

How much more do they have to do???

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Walmart is THREE checks behind on all of their affiliate commission checks, they knowingly informed Linkshare TWICE that checks were mailed to affiliates (when they knew that they were not), they supplied Linkshare affiliates with an Invalid e-mail address....
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is absolutely an untrue statement

You have no basis to accuse Walmart.com of not paying any affiliates.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You have no basis to accuse Walmart.com of not paying any affiliates. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jimbo, you did not read my original post. I am not accusing them, they ADMIT IT!!!

This is a quote from the Linkshare e-mail that I originally posted;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>This is the most recent correspondence, sent today, on behalf of Walmart.com. They have delays in processing the commissions from the holidays. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And this is the excuse from Walmart as to why they never sent the checks;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As you can imagine, the holiday season is just as big for us as it is for you and payment processing takes much longer for this time of year as we have many more affiliates to pay. We thank you for your patience and apologize for any inconvenience. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

>They didn't seem to care that they didn't have a valid e-mail address for Walmart.

'Contractually, we are not responsible' said Steve Messner, forgetting about liability in negligence.

We all know how *proud* he is of his Big Names. I'm sure that he'll soon sort it all out.

I

Jimbo,

Is there a reason that we don't know about that is driving you to go out of your way to support Walmart.com?

In the Linkshare posting section you just wrote;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In fact I have gotten paid on time by Walmart.com every single month since I started. In my experience they are great people to work with.
    I am very happy to participate in Walmart.com's affiliate program. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So are you stating that you received checks for November, December and January? Also, Walmart.com has openly admitted that it is their policy to have ZERO contact with affiliate world. The only contact method Linkshare provided to any of their affiliates was an e-mail address that Walmart acknowledges is INVALID. You claim that <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>In my experience they are great people to work with<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>, How on earth can that be?

By what means are you claiming that Walmart.com has worked with you?

How did they contact you?

How did you contact them?

The phone number for the affiliate marketing department is 650-837-5000. Call and speak to the receptionist. Hear for yourself how it is not their policy to converse with affiliates.

I question what your motive is to bash my warnings and then speak so highly about the Walmart.com program. Are we talking about the same program?

I did get an e-mail from Walmart regarding having to fax them a completed IRS W-9 or 1099 form before they would pay back last December. I figured I'd wait on all the hassle over this due to the fact that 8122 clicks to them produced on 17.40 in commissions. Now I see where even if that amount ever got to 5000.00 I'd best send in the tax liability information.

They sure don't want the bad PR and your commissions have to make you a top affiliate. They should bend over backwards for your efforts and call you immediately with a apology and place the check in a FEDX overnight delivery envelope. Me ..I'll wait and see what happens before I take the time to collect 20.00 from Walmart.

Leader, babe of babes...thanks a billion for the Lien idea.

I forgot all about filing the lien trip as a weapon in the Snare Merchant War.

Going to be spending Saturday at the library checking out all the ways I can use the liens to get our money and make life hell for Sanre and Company.

Slugo - welcome the Snare. And you thought my MLM idea was bad.

You ain't seen nothin yet. Just keep trying to collect and here's what you will here from Meesermouse - NOTHING. Nor will Snare help you in any way.

Walmart will no doubt never answer you. And I will bet you a FREE entry in the new MLM that they will one day soon your account with Snare will vanish.

Make sure you have screen prints of all your reports and print out any emails.

If you do not get a check by next Friday.

Write a letter demanding payment to the President of Walmart in Bentonville, Ark.
    give them 5 to 10 days to send you a check and a similar letter to Snare. Send them
    registered mail.

If you do not have a check in your hand by noon of day 11. Truck on down to your local court house and file a small claim action against Linkshare and Walmart. You need to include Snare because they provide you with tracking and reports and by their own agreement should have suspended Walmart and assisted in the collection. You were defrauded by Snare because they sent you the email about payment and they are an accomplice in the non-payment.

Pay the service and show up on the appointed court day. Present you case and ask for court costs.

You WILL win. As soon as you win write up a
    press release that you have won a judgement against Snare and Walmart and send it out thru PRWeb to the world. In the PR piece don't forget to include how you sold over $100k for Walmart.

I should have done exactly that when we were jacked out of $100k from Snare and their merchants. Sue each merchant separately and include Snare in each action.

I was one of the first people to be INVITED by Walmart to their program. I sent them 3,500 visitors and got zip. I KNOW THEY SANDBAGGED ORDERS because some people I know ordered thru my link.

And the war continues.

ABW Ambassador
    Not everyone is a foolish as Fred concerning libelous statements and threats of lawsuits. I just read this, and think I know the issue. It's that darned W-9 thing isn't it.

Walmart does require that it be on file to receive your check, but once in, they WILL pay. They have been very slow about it at times, but you will get your hard earned money.

As to filing suit; I, for one, am getting pretty tired of reading how one particular poster here is always claiming to have basis for suit, and yet when the rubber meets the road, that poster appears to simply be all talk. This is another case where said poster is trying to get someone else to step up to the legal pump because he has nothing to litigate himself.

Obstinatedon

Professor,

Is there a $$ cap on small claims court claims?

ABW Ambassador
    The maximum amount you can file in small claims court varies depending on where you file. Each state has different amounts. For example, here in California the maximum is $5,000.

I suggest that you call Walmart's HQ at (501) 273-4000 and ask to be connected to Lee Scott (the President of Walmart). You will get one of his assistants. If you explain the situation to her, she can probably route you to someone that can help you. That would probably be the easiest.

If that doesn't work, I would send letters to Rob Walton (chairman) and Lee Scott. Make the letter very short and sweet but include back up documentation and ask them for their assistance in the matter.

At least one of these will probably do the trick for you. Best of luck!

Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Kip for the names and phone numbers.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Leader, babe of babes...thanks a billion <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lmao. Ditto, though.

Bet this is making Sam Walton role over in his grave!! If the legal recourse has to take place just send it to the PR folks at Kmart...that'll spread the word.

OMG, $5000!! And I thought I was po'd over my $100someodd from Franklin Mint!!!!

I would be livid. My best to you and hope you get your money soon!!

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Nevada cap is $10k. It's been going up every year.

I thought Caifornia raised their cap from $5k to $10K. But maybe not. I will have to go look it up.

You can look up the NY cap online.

ABW Ambassador
    In California you are limited to 2 claims for up to $5,000 each calendar year. That could be what you are thinking of. You can file as many claims as you want up to $2,500.

Cheers,
    Kip [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast