Kill New Thin Content Quickly
    superCool made the mistake of adding a new section with mostly thin content to a website last week (about 1000 pages). the pages were quickly indexed and started getting traffic. it was fine for a few days but now it seems to have killed the traffic for the entire site. superCool would like to get rid of the new pages if possible and hopefully get back some traffic to the old pages ASAP.

any ideas on the best way? here are the options superCool has considered
    - redirect all the new pages to home
    - robots.txt disallow the pages
    - robots meta the pages to noindex

this is superCool's daughter's site so he feels really bad about it

thanks for any suggestions

ABW Ambassador
    Ouch!

I assume that you are talking about Google traffic?
    Did your traffic tank "over-night" and stay there?
    Did the site see a large increase in traffic leading up to the drop?

It is too soon to tell but you might have just got Panda-slapped...

If I were you and I was absolutely sure that I just got slapped, I'd start "301ing" all those pages out of existance. I'd shy away from Robots.txt entries because the 301 will get the message across.

I was slapped a while back and I have been going through Webmaster tools cleaning up everything they suggest. After days of reading about Panda, it sounds like quality is key now... So I wouldn't stop at just the new thin pages - I'd go after any thin pages on the site. Then start beefing up your pages with more and better content.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by CanadianDave; December 9th, 2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: typo
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

Yes the pages went live last week and shot up pretty well with traffic. then the night before last the google traffic was turned off by +90% for the whole site. it's the only low-quality content on the site, but it was a small site.

it was a dumb move in light of what's been going on, but everything with google is such a moving target these days superCool thought it was worth a try. the content's not terrible and it's actually useful - the people who visited the pages stayed and looked around, but it didn't pass the sniff test. oh well, another lesson for superCool and his daughter. looks like coal in the stocking for her this year

If I were you, I would robots.txt them... treat it like an "oops" moment..

But balance out this incident with 3-5 new pages of original content.. write up some new articles that only contain ALL original text, no images.

I think Google looks for trends in websites - if these new pages were only available for 1-2 weeks, and then you pulled them back, I don't think that would be worthy of a Panda slap. Spend a little time sprucing up some of the other content pages while you're at it.

Good luck!

ps. The only issue I see with a 301, is that you *might* transfer the bad rep these pages had
    Last edited by teezone; December 9th, 2011 at 02:30 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by superCool View Post
    ...google is such a moving target these days...
    That's an understatement. Matt C and his group seems to be very busy lately tweeking the algo. The fact that even a single page can drastically change the ranking of an entire site is retarded. They want quality but their definition seems change daily. Who is going to risk building big/deep sites for the risk of having you "about us" page killing your ranking?

BTW superCool, I just looked at my own stats and my traffic tanked again two days ago too - another angry Panda?
    When the only tool you have is a hammer - everything looks like a nail.

ABW Ambassador
    "superCool made the mistake of adding a new section with mostly thin content to a website last week (about 1000 pages)."

I'm sure there are some people still making that work but not many. That kind of thing worked great back in the day, when Datafeeders were King but not for awhile. If you're cranking that many pages out, they can't be good. Quality lasts, do it right.

It's not really unusual for a site to get shuffled in and out of the index a few times before settling down. One time I made the mistake of panic and scramble when this happened with one of my sites, so I had to panic and scramble again to restore the site when the new material got indexed and started to get a flood of fresh traffic to the removed pages. Thank g*d for backups!
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread