eBay.com apparently only pays for leads that come from the US. eBay.ca only pays for leads that come from Canada.

This isn't listed in their "lead qualifications". If you have a site that gets a lot of US/Canada traffic, if your leads don't sign up from the right URL, eBay gets free leads (since the signup is good on both eBay.com and eBay.ca). If someone signs up from any other country, you get $0 for the trouble too, yet eBay gets a valid user.

Since they're not publicizing this fact, isn't this fraud?

Ralph

http://www.hockeydb.com

ABW Ambassador
    >>eBay.com apparently only pays for leads that come from the US. eBay.ca only pays for leads that come from Canada.<<

Has this been confirmed?

-------
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go to bed.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Perhaps someone going to CJU could ask the eBay rep? Possibly at a public forum?

It'd be nice to get some hard info on who they will and won't pay out for.

Here is a copy of a letter I wrote to eBay.ca, along with their reply:

My question is, does the eBay.ca program disqualify leads that are from
    countries other than Canada? Does the eBay.com do the same? How about
    eBay.co.uk?

I know it's all one big eBay. But should I try and corral my potential
    signees to the correct program, like "if you're from Canada, click here to
    UK, click here". If so, how about German, & Swedish collectors?

It is one big eBay, however, we are now paying for leads generated from
    the country that the visitor originates from.. so if 'you're from Canada,
    click here to sign up for eBay.ca' will generate a commision for you if
    they click on one of the eBay.ca Affiliates banners in our program.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

eBay.ca Affiliates Team

A bit vague, but it certainly seems to confirm what I stated above, that eBay pays only for leads generated from the country of the affiliate program.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    That sucks. I know a LOT of people that buy stuff on eBay USA and have it shipped internationally.

I'm one of them.

I deserve credit if I introduce them to eBay.

ABW Ambassador
    According to eBay, you do get paid.

I wrote to ebay and AFTER they responded, I requested permission to post their response here, the gave permission. Here's our exchange:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>My Question to eBay:
    "I promote ebay.com only (none of the localized ones) -- if someone from Canada registers and bids on ebay.com via my link, do I get paid for that registration?"

eBay's Response:
    "If a visitor to your site clicks on an eBay link and is from Canada you will still receive credit for the transaction. They only transactions that we reverse are leads that never place a bid within 30 days. I believe that publishers are confused because we do not allow publishers that are outside of the United States to advertise our links. If you have any other questions about this let us know."

emphasis mine<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Until there is concrete evidence that they are doing otherwise, I don't believe there is a valid claim for "fraud."

[edited to clarify: this exchange was with eBay.com, not eBay.ca]
    -------

Hey Ralph,

This is off-topic (sorry to others), but I wanted to say I like your HockeyDB site. I've been enjoying reading the "Where are they now?" posts on the message board!

EBay affiliate hockey fans might want to check it out! OK, so it's still off topic, despite my weak attempt. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Thanks for clearing that up. It is certainly a direct contradiction of what the eBay.ca representative sent me. Of course, we have a 1-1 tie now, so who do we use to break it? eBay.co.uk?

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    Actually, I think it's more like 1 to 0.25 . [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

The meaning of the message you received is just not at all clear to me. All it really seems to say, IMO, is that they do pay for Canadians who register via ebay.ca and make a bid. Beyond that, I haven't been able to draw any conclusions or meaning from it.

It does seem like a waste of email to report that particular fact, but perhaps the writer didn't understand the question... I don't know.

-------

Well, let's analyze the response you got, apart from its question:

If a visitor to your site clicks on an eBay link and is from Canada you will still receive credit for the transaction. They only transactions that we reverse are leads that never place a bid within 30 days. I believe that publishers are confused because we do not allow publishers that are outside of the United States to advertise our links.

This doesn't specifically address whether or not a visitor from Canada is considered to be a lead on eBay.com. It says:

1) You get credit for the transaction. This might mean that you get credit for the $0.05 sale. It does not specifically mention a lead. In fact, taken at face value, it says that all I need to receive credit [for a referral] is someone from Canada to click to eBay from my site. That's obviously wrong.

2) The only leads that are reversed are those which do not bid within 30 days. It doesn't address whether those people are considered a lead to begin with.

It never specifically and definitively says "If someone who lives in Canada registers as a brand-new eBay member from a CJ link at your site and places a bid within 30 days, you will be paid $5 for a referral".

Nit-picking? Definitely. But their response is certainly not definitive, and if you use the "maybe they didn't understand the question" angle, it might not address the issue at hand.

Ralph

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Several days ago I invited them to this thread to, once and for all clear up all of your concerns, but they did not deign to reply to my email. Two emails in a row that I sent to them, asking straightforward questions that they never bothered to answer.

If you try to please everybody, someone won't like it -Rumsfeld

I've always understood the high reversals on leads.. they're a PITA but on the other hand a $5 payout ain't bad. But the 5c sales are frankly pointless.. so if they're worried about fraud on 5 cents a sale.. get rid of it and stick to leads.

5 cents a sale doesn't exactly count for a whole lot does it? They could always up the lead payment a bit (my stats it would be $5.25 per lead) to compensate.

Frankly if I wasn't running with ebay.com then I wouldn't run with the other eBays either, I'd look for an alternative program instead.

Does eBay NOT WANT the business? Maybe it should consider exactly where its leads originate from before it cuts off non-US affiliates. I'd guess about 50% of my traffic is US.

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    No! Keep the 5 cent leads. While on most of my sites I don't bother with ebay, I created one site just for ebay. Its drives alot of traffic their way and the 5cents adds up in volume. It is a car payment every month, for doing almost nothing.

The $5 leads are just icing on the cake getting the ebay total closer to my house payment.

chet

Well, I e-mailed eBay the following question via CJ about a week ago:

"If someone from a non-US country (Canada, for example) clicked on my eBay.com link and then immediately registered for eBay, and then immediately placed a bid, is this considered a "lead" for which I would be paid the $5 referral fee?"

I have not received a reply yet. So in my mind, the question is still open. They have not definitively answered this one yet.

Ralph

I finally got a reply back from eBay:

You will be paid for this lead. We only allow US based publishers to advertise for us. If you have any other questions let us know.

eBay Publisher Support

--- Original Message Separator ---
    If someone from a non-US country (Canada, for example) clicked on my eBay.com link and then immediately registered for eBay, and then immediately placed a bid, is this considered a "lead" for which I would be paid the $5 referral fee?

===

So I'm satisfied that we're being paid for all leads signed up, no matter which country they're coming from.

Of course, this now begs the question; why not sign up all your users via eBay.ca, to get the automatic $4 commission (instead of dealing with reversals)?

Ralph

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    These ppl are so full of Cr+p.
    They had approved me about a year ago yet I live in Canada. What a load of doo doo they peddle on us for a stupid .05 lead fee.
    I suppose this is where all my e bay clicks lead into no conversions.

It's off to mail them and see wtf they are really doing.

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    I live in Spain and am an affiliate too. Maybe they have just recently introduced this USA affiliates only rule.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread