ABW Ambassador
    Here is a graph I just did tonight.

I did it by hand, so please excuse the crudeness. (no XL wiz here)

It shows number of sales (on the vertical; each line up equals one sale) as a function of time (ie, days) from March 2002 to September 2002.

During this time, traffic varied from 30K to 40K per month consistantly staying in that range with slightly more at the beginning to slightly lower towards the end, but with a bump in July.

In this case, the cookie duration was set to 45 days, and keep after first sale. You can see the effects. Remember, the traffic, banners, website, etc did not change during this time, other than just random variations, and the traffic notations above.

Dollar figures were (gross sales after reversals)

March 285
    Arpil 2270
    May 4200
    June 4900
    July 10,500
    Aug 7800
    Sept 8000 (just 2/3 of the month they were online)

Now tell me cookie duration and persistance don't matter.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

[This message was edited by AffJus on November 06, 2002 at 02:46 AM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    AFFJus ..the issue of longer cookie duration NOT creating better sales ratios is indefensable. Steve Messer (LS CEO) digested this 2 years ago as well the other 2 CEO's during the Cashpile discussions. Only the merchants revolted at publishing this hidden tool used to make sure affiliates didn't get rewarded for furure sales. Many only feel affiliate marketing is just another form of advertising and refuse in real conversion efforts to make affiliates part of their sales channel.

My Fair Practice Policy statement addressed this and all other forms of diversion the networks let the merchant get away with...BeFree so far refuses to publish anything regarding cookies durations or conversion ratios.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    I agree it's indefensible. But the reason I posted the chart is to show people the amount of money envolved. When I look at many of my merchants, their charts look like the chart above for the month of March only. Month after month, we get this little trickle of sales. I'll bet most people's charts would look similiar. What I'm trying to demonstrate to everyone is just HOW much money we are talking about. Look at the numbers below the graph. Now Imagine we only got commission on $300/month for every month! The difference is what these merchants who kill cookies on first purchase are saving by not paying us.

Great post! Saved to disk.

-- Less is more --

You didn't say what type of product it was unless I missed it. Wouldn't that have a large effect on it too?

ABW Ambassador
    I'm confused by this graph... sorry.. what exactly is it showing.. was there something that happened in some month that is significant? Or are you saying sales gradually increased due to users who had previous cookies purchasing later and this is what is responsible for the higher numbers every month? Thanks..

BTW, one thing that constantly tells me that cookie duration matters is LS "non commissionable sales report" "cookie duration exceeded" .. Bam. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

--
    ...only in the affiliates interest...
    The Newer Nicer Joseph [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Crucial Technology:
    You didn't say what type of product it was unless I missed it. Wouldn't that have a large effect on it too?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

sorry, I lost track of this topic...

the items are in consumer electronics and a very, very competitive field.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Monuit:
    I'm confused by this graph... sorry.. what exactly is it showing.. was there something that happened in some month that is significant? Or are you saying sales gradually increased due to users who had previous cookies purchasing later and this is what is responsible for the higher numbers every month? Thanks..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes to the later

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    BTW, one thing that constantly tells me that cookie duration matters is LS "non commissionable sales report" "cookie duration exceeded" .. Bam. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly as it should. There was a post by Webmaster Mike (I think) after I posted my graph above. In it he said he had anecdotal evidence that shoppers will purchase a small test product first. Then after they get it and everything is "cool" they will go back later and get more. I noticed this exactly with the sales above. Early on, we saw mostly small purchases. (most under $100) By the time the graph ended in Sept. we were seeing $300 purchases all the time.

This is the effect I believe people are trying to convey when they talk about AM being a "channel" and not "advertising." It's like building an aqueduct. At first the water is a trickle. Then it increases into a stream, and finally it's a river. This is exactly the effect we have seen with our best performing merchants every time. Now that we've had months of data to compare, I see what people mean when they talk about "channels." When it works, it's like a flood.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    AffJustice you are correct. Merchants who turn off cookies force all their affiliates to start over from scratch on their revenue stream. It is impossible to build a long term relationship with any merchant who speaks out of his mouth one thing and chuckles behind your back mumbling SUCKER.

Only the parasites get around this by setting new cookies on every popup and they even monitize these greedy advertising merchant's own free links...

Merchant must divulge in their profile if they use any of the following diversion tactics:

a] Whether the merchant uses a 800# call center that either acts as an affiliate or works on a commission basis without recording original referral ID# for commission credits.

b] Third party gift certificate or gift registry services, who themselves are earning affiliate commissions by swapping their ID# with original referrers.

c] This merchant selectively approves and works with "incent" and reward affiliates.

d] The merchant's number of return cookie days and whether they are disabled after the first sale. ( no need to single out CJ for this request)

e] This merchant has passed all network test purchase transactions done on a random basis at least once a month.

f] Some sections of this merchant's website contain non-commissionable products or links to partner sites that do not track commissionable sales.

g] This is a special class merchant who offers commissions based upon recruiting customers for outside parties or offers loyality shopping incentives.

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

ABW Ambassador
    What I'd like to see at CJ are 7 columns labeled a,b,c,d,e,f, & g to coincide with your list above and then a Y or N in each box. That would be more effective than EPC anyday! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread