OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Kim Jong Il dead at 69
    I hope his son moves the country away from totalitarian communism as North Korea has become completely insignificant in this time in history: North Korea's longtime leader Kim Jong Il dead at 69 - CNN.com

I've heard they don't have internet and cell phones in North Korea. Is that true ? Who would support such a person who doesn't even allow basic necessities.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabz View Post
    I've heard they don't have internet and cell phones in North Korea. Is that true ? Who would support such a person who doesn't even allow basic necessities.
    an article on msnbc quoted a travel agent that cell phones are starting to appear.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nabz View Post
    I've heard they don't have internet and cell phones in North Korea.
    Here are all of North Korea's IP addys:

# Country: KOREA, DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF
    # ISO Code: KP
    # Total Networks: 1
    # Total Subnets: 1,024
    175.45.176.0/22

SOMEONE there likes to try and hack into servers though...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

They've had an official website for several years. (Korea DPR)

It even has a souvenir shop. They use cafepress to make their stuff!
    DPR KOREA SHOP

That is too funny, I am adding this to my Christmas list:

Model 10 Throw Pillow

Product Information
    Add stylish fun to any room with our roomy Throw Pillow. It measures a sprawling 18" X 18" with an 11" X 11" image area so you can lounge in comfort. It's made of ultra-soft brushed twill with a sturdy canvas image area. Ships with pillow insert. Removable zippered cover for easy laundering.

Tax Paying Member
    If I am understanding this right........My head will lay in comfort on the 11 X 11 CANVAS picture area
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

As you dream of triumph with your comrades of the imminent battle with the capitalist swine from the South!

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Lol...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

I understand that despite the efforts of the previous regime the greatest threat to the new kid on the block is the advance of capitalism, albeit a very slow advance. As unlikely as it may appear this could be the same factor that was the undoing of the old Soviet block.

Time alone will tell

One news show I watched was comparing North Korean to China. Over the many centuries China had many uprisings while North Korea has had few. Also if you look at Google Earth and compare south to north at night it looks like the lights are off in the north.

I think that North Korea will be like Cuba in the transition, slow with little change. On the other hand depending on the power factors they could move in a direction like China as more capitalist with a 20 some year old in power. They are relatively isolated and other than saber rattling are no real threat.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Things are not nearly that crystal clear in North Korea, and Kim Jong Un's position is not that secure, for a couple of reasons.

First, there are two other people in the family who have had considerable influence and positions of power in Kim Jong Il's regime, and they may not be willing to accept the much younger Kim Jong Un. Kim Jong Il's sister, Kim Kyong Hui, is a four-star general in the military amd was a powerful player under her brother, and usually accompanied him in appearances and travel. She appeared to be in line to succeed him, but she lost considerable face with her brother and the country when her daughter committed suicide. Thereafter when Kim Jong Il suffered his stroke three years ago, it was his son named to be his eventual replacement.

The other major player is a fellow who was a top player in the National Defense Commission, and who just happens to be Kim Kyong Hui's husband, Chang Sung-taek. He was called Kim Jong Il's "right hand man" and was reported to be Kim Jong Un's tutor. Other reports have him as being the real guy in charge since Kim Jong Il's 2008 stroke.

Second, is the military. The real power in Korea is the military, and while they supported Kim Jong Il (as they did his father), there is info that they may not be so strong in supporting Kim Jong Un. North Korea has the fourth largest standing army in the world, with one-third of the population in either active duty military or in the reserve, and their support for the leader is imperative. Kim Jong Un does not have the military background that his father and grandfather had.

When Kim Il Sung died, Kim Jong Il did not immediately have total power or support. Rather it took him three years to consolidate power, and that pattern is likely to be repeated, but with no assurances that Kim Jong Un will also come out on top.

One other key point as unrest and uncertainty loom within a nuclear power: There remain, since the "end" of the Korean War, almost sixty years ago, 28,000 US troops along the demilitarized zone and in South Korea.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; December 20th, 2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, theres no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Well Hound seems you are a bit closer to the politics than I. Is this something you follow or do you have ties to Korea?

No ties to Korea. Always been interested in politics (Political Science major in college), active in several local political organizations, and I write a political blog. I also tweet a lot about politics.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Do you feel Korea can follow China and moderate or are they more like the old school Soviet Union?

There is no way of knowing at this point until Kim Jung Un solidifies his leadership, someone else emerges as the new power, or the military stages a coup. My guess would be, though, that whether it is Kim Jung Un, Kim Kyong Hui, or Chang Sung-taek, the regime will remain that of a totalitarian state with no personal freedoms, and certainly no democratic reforms, but with more emphasis on improving the country's deplorable economy and rampant poverty. I could see an opening up of the economy to include inviting still limited but increased capitalism, such as has occurred so successfully in Viet Nam. Over the past 10 years or so, there have been special economic zones created in North Korea with limited capitalism and foreign trade that have been very successful. That would be less likely to happen if a military leader emerges.

19. Thanks From:

So there has been some kind of a "deal" today where Kim Jung Un has agreed to share power with the military.

We'll have to see how that works out.

21. Thanks From:

i am really curious how that will turn out. i can't imagine any change in that regime. but then - its 2012 - who knows?

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread