hi all,

i just logged into cj to find that in the last 24 hours i have had six sales of $0.00 from two merchants

this happened before at the begining of last month i was doing really well with a merchant then after the first two weeks all sales i have had from them have been for $0.00

now the same thing seems to be happening with my two remaining 'good' merchants

i know you will all want me to name them and i wont hesitate to do so if i dont get replies to my emails in 48 hours

is this happening to anyone else?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Not me... That sounds pretty weird and I can't wait to read their excuses! Are they all run by the same place or what?

ABW Ambassador
    Yes it happened to me in October 5 sales 0.00 I posted the letter I got back from Catalog City explaining it in the merchant fraud forum
    Cazzie

it gets weirder,

i know it was halloween yesterday but this is too spooky for me

those sales of zilch accounted for 50% of yesterdays sales, the other 50% netted me about $35 yet only $20 has been added to my account

any ideas?

ABW Ambassador
    I've had $0.00 commissions happen a few times recently. I wrote to Elisabeth.com (love that name!) to ask about it. Here's their reply, copied from my CJ mail.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Dear Elisabeth,

First, we would like to assure you that tracking for the Elisabeth.com affiliate program is fully functional and that no sales data have been lost. However, due to a technical glitch, the "Amount" variable is not currently being passed with all of the other transaction information. We are matching all of the Order IDs that come through Commission Junction to our back end system and are adding in the amounts as a temporary fix to this problem. We are ensuring that all publishers are paid the commission owed.

For example, the Oct. 8 transaction that you mentioned, Transaction #65494176 with Order ID els000056262, was credited on Oct. 12. You can verify this transaction because they have the same Order ID.

We apologize for any inconvenience or confusion that this may have caused.

Our technical team is working on a solution to this and will have this resolved shortly. We appreciate your patience during this time.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I share this in case it helps anyone ...

Elisabeth Archambault

Thanks, it did. Now I won't lose any sleep over my prior decision to get that off my site...

I wondered how their CR was so pathetic...just how many transactions totally disappeared, I wonder?

Affiliate Network Rep
    I don't say this ofter, but I would worry a bit about $0 sales. There are some legitimate reasons for $0 such as complimentary gifts setting off the CJ Advertiser tracking code, however, for the most part $0 sales should not happen.

This has happened to me once as well...when merchant batch sends orders to CJ and the amount doesn't carry over the transaction posts on CJ as $0.00. From the merchant side we see a $0.00 transaction and a $.30 minimum charge from CJ [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]. So the easiest way is to simply reverse out the transaction and resend the file as a new transaction. My affiliates know there's no reason to freak out over this because they trust me to get over every commissionable transaction to CJ.

Jared
    Crucial Affiliate Team www.crucial.com

Jared

I wish there were more merchants like you, a good few of the merchants I deal with do not even bother to answer e-mails.

The same thing happened to us recently: four $0.00 sales in a row!! I wrote to the merchant and got no reply, then I wrote to commission junction and got no reply. I guess I have to start making phone calls.

Selma.

Selma,
    Why waste the dime on the phone call? Drop the merchants and get new ones. I have yet to see a $0.00 sale from the merchants that convert on my sites. The $0.00 sale I had with Designer Couture House was the last day they got traffic from me (only a couple of hundred hits a day).

This $0.00 sale stuff is a way of getting the reversal data not to show the merchant reversal rate. When the amount of the "declined transaction" is $0.00, it doesn't show in their reversal stats. So someone like DCH looks much better than Rafaello Ties in the reversal department. However, after over 800 clicks to RT (the amount of clicks I sent DCH before getting my delightful $0.00 sale, which they bothered to answer my email was a "declined transaction"), it's rare that I haven't had some good sales, most of which don't get reversed. The ones that do...frankly I still trust RT, despite the lowered cookie recently and a number of reversals. The pages are profitable, I leave them up (can ya tell who my mentor is????).

I will be considering a $0.00 sale to be a sign of a merchant that ought not to be on my pages, frankly. (Just re-read Jared's post. I will add that the only way a merchant will continue to get my traffic if I see a $0.00 sale will be if they have already won my trus).

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: webmistress ]

when i first posted this topic i had sales of $0 from 3 different merchants over 2 or 3 days, i am convinced that this was a software glitch, i was watching tv yestrday and they where talking about how much money is spent on the web each minute, i cant remember the exact figure but its really a mindblowing amount and i have to admit that my jaw nearly hit the floor, i cant belive any tracking will ever be invented that can track all of the sales all of the time

i advocate patience, the three merchants i mention have been converting well since i posted

Actually the REAL problem is probably not the tracking - everyone knows there is at least a 1% to %5% discrepancy in any tracking software due to connection speed, click-outs etc. But tracking does not really effect the actual orders. It does effect what you ever know about the orders or if you know anything at all.

The REAL problem is that SALES in almost every case have to get checked and sorted and such by REAL humans. As a result, what you see is not necessarily what you got.

There is not one merchant on the planet who will not try to fudge paying affiliates if they can get away with it.

If you send a zillion hits to any merchant and you get no sales and you complain, like magic one or two sales usually show up in the next few days. You get credited for a sale and the merchant can then just say well you made a sale so we must be honest.

However what you don't see is the 100 other sales you made that never got credited to you for a bunch of reasons, all of which are potentially real reasons - the most real reason being we don't want to pay you.

Just think about this if a merchant can get away with paying a commission on 1 out of every 2 orders how much money will they get to keep if they sell 1,000 deals a day and would have had to pay $5 per deal to the affiliates. Add it all up and multiply by 365 days.

There is only one way to combat the cheating factor whether the merchants cheat or not and that is for every merchant to pay a minimum click thru against sales commissions and for the merchant to send every affiliate a copy of the name and address of each order with the price of the order and what they bought with the relevant affiliate ID number attached. Or the affiliates have the right to audit every order to check the merchants honesty.

The order list is no big deal because the merchant has to have a copy for accounting, shipping and to send to the customer. So it exists and would be easy to send out.

For example, if you send XYZ merchant 1,000 visitors and you get paid say 1 cent per click thru against sales - if you DO NOT earn more than $10 in commission the merchant has to pay you $10 amount. If you make $40 they have to pay you that. And you would get a copy of each order made.

Then if you think the merchant has screwed you, you simply request an audit of every order they have made.

In the real world of commission sales there are thousands of cases where sales reps got screwed out of commissions that they eventually got when they sued the merchant and got to audit their orders and how they were treated.

Not sure if this is the same thing, but I've gotten two sales today with 0.00 on commission. But the sale *amount* is blank, not 0.00 I've written the merchant and hope to hear from them soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Professor...you are very correct on a lot of things, but I would like to add one thing...COMMISSION JUNCTION IS SUPPOSED TO BE THE THIRD PARTY THAT KEEPS US AND MERCHANTS FROM GETTING SCREWED. That is their position, and why so many people get reversals (that may or may not be legit) is beyond me.

Tom Pyles

It appears this happens when somebody comes through to the merchant and orders something that does not have a set price as yet, I am trying to resolve this for our affiliates by manually entering figures for around, if not usually bigger than the price will be.

Just FYI:

This can happen if a merchants site is trapped in a frame. We recently had this problem and the referrer to CJ is the site trapping the merchants site in a frame and not the merchant. The data will be passed but not the amount because CJ's tracking sees the referrer as a different site then the merchant !

ABW Ambassador
    I know this is a bit off topic but instead of a $0 sale I got a $1.00 sale that gave me a whopping nickle commision.

The crazy thing though.... there was an attached transaction that said 0 commisisons for free gift wrapping on orders over $500. Hmmmmmm. I tracked down the item # did a lookup on the vendors site and guess what the sale was.

A $1,495.00 pair of earrings. Is this good or what? Not bad I made a nickle. I have asked the folks at linkshare to look into this and have a feeling that even if the order amount gets corrected it's going to be reversed. If that happens I'll be back to post the name of the merchant. It's one of those ughhhhhh - "well respected companies".

This happened to me about 1 year ago. I reported it to CJ along with the merchants and it ended shortly thereafter.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Since this thread has been brought back up--whatever happened with that big order, Happypoon?

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thi has happened to be so many times from Best Deal Magazines. I refuse to even link to them now because of this.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

ABW Ambassador
    I had two $0.00 sales at linkshare.com from a link for pagoo.com. This merchant was "deactivated" some time before, and I forgot to change the link.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    FYI
    I you didn't notice, this thread dates back to Nov 2001.

I'm told that the NS browser can causr duplicate orders and cause the 2nd order to show as $0.00. I have not verified this myself.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread