Is anybody aware that AOL is redirecting sales from affiliates?

When searching through the AOL interface, it looks like once a link is clicked to an affiliate's store, AOL presents the store in a framed window. Once the sale is made, credit does not go to the affiliate, but rather to someone else (AOL I presume).

Since AOL is absolutely huge in terms of users, this could cripple our industry.

I'm interested if anyone else has discovered this, and maybe thoughts on how to prevent it.

Please post!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Looks like AOL has crawled into bed with the BHO redirect technology providers thanks to some network's pushing them to use Theftwarez techniques.

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Nothing AOL does shocks me anymore. Since their stock value has pummeled near 60% value in the last year .. guess they figure this is the avenue to take to gain free profits and put smiles back on investors faces.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com

ABW Ambassador
    I do not hope that google will join that too.

carneol

This has GOT to be illegal!

Do they do it on big sites? Surely there is some way to stop this. If AOL is going to steal my commissions. I want to block AOL viewers from my site. Show them a page explaining why the viewer is not welcome at my site, perhaps. If enough of us do this it should make some kind of impact.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

There is a way to prevent this problem. Move your site to a dbase format. With redirect links and jump frame links.

You can view the result at http://www.ssan.com.

I was loosing sales left and right due to this situation. Then I went xml dbase, when you visit the site you may notice it looks like it's an ordinary HTML site. What the dbase does is convert the info into HTML if you wish a static view for your customers and for the ease in being listed with the engines. You can also let your visitors view the live version of your dbase if you wish. Its all your preference.

Since the change to the dbase I have seen absolutely no theft, too many jumps is all I can attribute the loss of theft. There was a period where I had a drop in the engine listing, due to the page changes.

Hope this helps,

Sandra

Simple Search Advancing Network
    SSan.com - Roussel Enterprises
    http://www.ssan.com
    Relax, we'll do the work for you!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SSan.com:
    You can view the result at http://www.ssan.com.
    [QUOTE]

Sandra,
    what is that "See You Again" software trying to get installed when I visit your site?
    Do a lot of people install it?

ABW Ambassador
    WARNING That site attempts drive by download! Careful!!

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Which site are you referring too Joseph?? "WARNING That site attempts drive by download! Careful!!"

Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

The See You Agian Software does work. If you are a member of CJ get your info there so you can make your own commission if you decide to purchase :-)

If you are not a member of CJ visit http://www.syas.com/

I did forget to leave the address of the dbase software I was refering to...

http://gossamer-threads.com/
    Links SQL is the program I was speaking of. They do not offer an affiliate program. I have provided this information in the hopes we help each other find a way around the Theft machines building daily.

It was not my intention to drive traffic to my site "Just incase what I am reading is an inuendo" by Joseph Monuit

Sandra;

How can you know you are not losing sales to theft?

It seems I can't tell when a sale of mine is hijacked by someone else - I think I would register the click through on my company stats, but any corresponding sale would not show up. Essentially, I would not be aware one of my click throughs resulted in a sale.

My conversion rates would drop over time, but, I can't see any way to capture sales I may have lost.

I was lucky to stumble on the AOL redirect - a family member used my link to purchase, noticed the AOL interface changed, and notified me. When I tried to find the confirmed sale, it was never posted to my account. Hence, I was able to identify the AOL redirect.

I am very interested in preventing the theft. Can you expand on how the dbase software eliminates a redirect?

Thanks.

There is no absolute way to weed out every single new fraud method. The best way to ensure your sales are being posted correctly even through AOL and numerous others is by testing the systems out.

Please understand I am not a good writer if I was I would make a fortune from my experiences... I will try to explain this as best I can.

1. Associate yourself with reputable Merchants such as BackCountry, Ebags, JCWhitney "by far the best affiliate directors" willing to assist you in making the most of your sales skills.

2. The Dbase I presently use redirects a bit more than it should, off setting the other theft machines... Its hard to explain here without giving away trade secrets and possible AOL representatives reading this and finding ways to cheat us yet again. Boogers!

3. The most important part of using a redirect system...... Ask your affiliate director for the account name they have setup to test a sale.

4. Completely clear out your cache, and all tracks even reboot......

5.Go to AOL and make a sale using the affiliate directors Test account.. If it tracks you are good... Notice a slow down on sales... think its a new theft trap.. Again use the test account..

*********Please keep in mind you should use that account sparingly or someone will mess it up for all of us. Its only to test with.. If your tracking states you dropped in traffic from 1 mill a day to 500 a day well come on no sales...

Hope this helps

SSAN IS NOT THE SAME AS SSANF!

PLEASE, BE AWARE THAT I, SSANF (SANDRA), HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH SSAN!

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    _SSAN IS NOT THE SAME AS SSANF!_

_PLEASE, BE AWARE THAT I, SSANF (SANDRA), HAVE NO CONNECTION WITH SSAN!_

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct SSan.com (Sandra Roussel) has been in business online since 1995 store front since 1981. ssanf I am not completely sure???? Since we have similar names perhaps we should be acquainted and not the normal bulletin belligerent.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm sorry if I came off as hostile, but, your page tries to autoload some application, without even as much as asking first. With all of the browser plugins and parasites that we deal with around here, I don't think you'll get much sympathy from anyone here if your site does that. (I understand the particular application may not be a parasite, or spyware, but, then again, it may be? Who knows...I don't, and have no plans to install it to find out.) Some don't even like sites that give a normal pop-up/under.

----
    -J
    Up in the air in revenue share

After some serious consideration, your input could possibly assist me in not offending people. I decided to get rid of the automation for this program and have left it as Bookmark here option. Thank you for your input --- a less aggressive mode of input always has better results.

Thank you for your input.

Warmest Regards,

Sandra Roussel
    Simple Search Advancing Network
    SSan.com - Roussel Enterprises
    http://www.ssan.com
    Relax, we'll do the work for you!

SSan.com and others! Warning the owner of http://www.syas.com/ is well known for spamming, I totally suggest you do not use there program and suggest you use a regular bookmark link not there service. I am just letting you know from my past experience with there service. as they have caused a $2000 computer to crash and screw up my computer. I would terminate your relationship as a affiliate though cj with them.

Jason
    Santa Cruz

jasonco12
    I have never had any problems with this software or the merchant of this software until I posted it on this bulletin. I then received a complaint, of course we immediately did our best to assist this person in removing the link... Not a program from there system. I have always maintained a good relationship with this merchant. I can not say anything against this merchant he has always treated me with the utmost respect.

Sandra

Wierd, that's interesting because I got spam from them for nearly 3 months, I asked to to remove me from there list and even unsuscribed and they were still emailing me, after I threatened them and said I was a affiliate of theres and would sue them for spam they finally stopped. This was about a year ago, they must of changed if your telling me you haven't had any problems. because there customer service sucked back then. and they were a horrible merchant too :0(

Jason
    Santa Cruz

ABW Ambassador
    Back to the AOL issue.

Any link clicked on brings the site up in a new window anyway. Welcome to AOL, the land of a thousand overlapping windows.

Tried qksrv, linkshare, befree, and clickserve links, and apparently nothing was overwritten.

Must suspect that you have some other parasitic application residing on your computer.

-----------------------------

Hell wasn't big enough so I had to come back.

Deelzebub;

The AOL redirect was confirmed, and was fairly obviouse, as the retail store (initiated from my affiliate link) was presented in a framed window by AOL highlighting their shopping service.

The redirected sale was confirmed, as were follow up tested purchases, from three different PCs in three states.

Note that the original redirect occured just before Christmas, 2002 and the follow up tests were performed in January of this year.

I went back to the AOL interface in early March and tried the same links - they were not obviously redirected, and they no longer opened in the AOL shopping portal frame.

I can only assume that they turned this redirect off for some reason, or worse, found a less obvious means to implement. If someone tests their links through AOL, please post the results.

At Christmas time, I checked many of my affiliate links in the AOL interface and found roughly 40% opened in this AOL framed window. The other 60% opened in a regular window.

ABW Ambassador
    This issue was brought up a long time ago and a merchant and some affiliates tested this and nothing was overwritten, they just frame some merchants that they have in aol shopping. Actually AOL probably lost a lot of money from other parasites hijacking their links.
    Patty from AKA Gourmet tested this out:

"The AOL frame that pops up in Shop@AOL is there for merchants who are in Shop@Aol. We pay to advertise in the shopping departments. I too was curious about this..we don't have AOL as an affiliate..unless they go by another name..but I tested this out on AOL..I pulled up one of my top affiliates..went to our links and linked to our site..The AOL frame came up as usual. I placed the order and immediately checked the linkshare bin on my site and the order was correctly attributed to that affiliate.
    I then went it to the same affiliate and placed the order through Quickcheckout and the affiliate was again properly attributed.

The wallet is there to just store address and credit card..but the shopper is still on our site and all necessary tracking codes are still in tact."

I don't care what my girlfriend says, i know i can dance, watch me go

I hope AOL is not redirecting, 95% of my traffic comes from them.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread