OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Do you use Private Shopping Sites?
    I am curious if any here use them i.e. membership based shopping sites. I have been approached by a few this last year to manage but thought it would be difficult to promote. Seems like they only do internal promotion and would be difficult to promote externally other than to drive membership. Reading an article about curated catalog content brings shoppers back repeatedly to private sale sites.

A couple of designer clothing joints like this have cropped up recently.

Maybe the model works well for them and maybe they have studies to prove it. Numbers don't lie but to me it just doesn't "feel right" not to be able to show the customer what is available right up front without having to make them jump through hoops without any certainty that they'll find what they're looking for.

As an affiliate I would only feel comfort driving traffic to places like this on a pay-per-click basis. Again, numbers don't lie; other affiliates can have it and like it, but for me, there's a "comfort zone" issue. I just don't like to send customers down an overgrown path where they need a machete to clear the brush out of their way.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

That is my point, seems like a one sided USP that you promote how they have the "freshest" designs but you don't show them.

I've recently turned down offers from 'private sale' sites..

The datafeed is meaningless, as your reader has to be a member (some of them actually have feeds).. and I don't really understand how an affiliate earns any commission. The occasional sale if your reader signs up and buys something, sure, but what then? I have no way of knowing what's on offer..

Feels a little too much like free advertising.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Came across a ski related merchant on AL. Had to join just to check them out. Quickly declined thereafter...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

and I don't really understand how an affiliate earns any commission. The occasional sale if your reader signs up and buys something, sure, but what then? I have no way of knowing what's on offer..
    Slightly different merchant keeps asking me to promote their "affiliate Program" for a mobile app that geo targets local deals. Great app and idea but they want me to pay for a membership and physically demo the product. I told them it doesn't work that way in affiliate marketing and is called network marketing. They were ASE11 and had a booth, haven't even launched their site just have word of mouth and the mobile app.

Cool
    I promote two, including one from amazon.com. no, no sales yet by the way.

But some people think they are in something exclusive so those sites could appeal to buyers.

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I am curious if any here use them i.e. membership based shopping sites. I have been approached by a few this last year to manage but thought it would be difficult to promote. Seems like they only do internal promotion and would be difficult to promote externally other than to drive membership. Reading an article about curated catalog content brings shoppers back repeatedly to private sale sites.
    Chuck some can be very difficult to manage if they are open to all to become members (usually from subscription). Not because of the concept but rather the tardiness of the client settling invoices.

Also you didn't elaborate as to whether this'd be solely managing the affiliate side to boost membership and promote products (for which the customer must join first) or if this includes managing the consumer members side too and promote directly to the consumer managing their other channels. The latter is like any other retail operation. The former requires educating the public that the massive consumer discounts solely apply once you have registered as a member. It can be done and there are many affiliates who promote this sort of retailer but it's not an instant winner.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

In both cases it didn't get far enough to discuss the particulars as I passed on them due to my perception that this would be impossible to grow in the traditional sense. If it were merely for a subscription program then so be it but that is not something I prefer.

Just curious if there are ABW members who market membership based retail programs and if they do well by them. Or if there are managers who are successful in promoting them. I am doing some year end biz dev clean-up!!

Outsourced Program Manager John Jupp's Avatar
    Not sure about ABW members unless they post but I've managed some and membership does work, especially if the Brand has an exclusivity and strictly ensures discounts are only available to subscribed members. I've found membership pickup strong, especially subscriptions up to $80 a year per adult if the Brand is considerably percieved as upmarket.
    Flambi Media Limited - USA/UK/EU Affiliate Management Expertise

Private shopping programs
    Hi all from Spain,
    Im new on the US market. Im looking for Private Shopping clubs campaigns to promote on my website but I just find out one of them, Modnique.
    It would be great if you guys could let me know wich affiliates Networks has these kind of campaigns (Modnique, Myhabit, Gilt, etc).
    I really appreciate your support.
    Thanks.

Good question, you will have to apply as an affiliate and search the merchants.

Hi chuck, thanks for your quick reply!
    Yes, I apply as an affiliate in some Networks (CJ, Neverblue, Clickbooth, I'm sure there will be more, need to improve my "Sherlock" skills, ) but I didn't realize until now how big is the US market! its huge, lots of affiliate Networks, programs, ... Its seems to be hard to find out what Im looking for. ;-)
    Anyway, if you know other thread in this forum about best affiliate Networks, I'm all ears.
    Thanks and have a great New Years Eve!

private shopping site
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    I am not getting you. What do you mean about private shopping site? what is the reason of using private word. does all shopping site private or n't? Can you describe full details? I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by aritra View Post
    I am not getting you. What do you mean about private shopping site? what is the reason of using private word. does all shopping site private or n't? Can you describe full details? I am confused.
    "Private" means you have to be a member of the website (sometimes for a fee) in order to shop online. If you're not a member, you can't see what products are available to buy.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread