OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Universal Login
    This conversation reminded me of a comment made at the Speakers Enclave at last months PubCon.

One of the last comments made was by a gal involved in the privacy area of online marketing. She said there is an effort well underfoot to create one universal login for everything, social, banking, membership, etc. She said it was akin to Big Brother being able to peak in on what we were doing behaviorally. In this case it wasn't the government but rather companies like Google, Facebook and others.

I don't recall her name or the sites she mentioned to reference so I thought I would reach out to the ABW community for references. More and more I see sites that want to have me login with my Facebook or Twitter accounts.

That's a bit paranoid. I don't like a lot of what Google does (and Google is probably the biggest offender of tracking activity), but I think that's going a bit far.

From the perspective of a developer, there is so much to worry about when creating your own registration system. As a user, many such systems don't even handle it properly. By developers who don't know any better, there are still plenty of systems in the world that store passwords in databases as cleartext instead of just md5 hash (which in itself is susceptible). SQL injection, double opt-in, etc. All to create a proprietary system.

Honestly, you're probably safer by using your FB or Twitter account as your credentials on 3rd party sites (although Twitter has famously had security issues, particularly with using HTTP connections over wifi, but it never compromised passwords). At least until either are compromised.

None of this is new anyway. It's called marketing. Just a different way of doing things that's been done since time began.

I'm not paranoid by any stretch.. but you're asking for trouble if/when your universal login gets compromised.

My 'social self' is separate from my 'business self' (something the new generation fails to understand), and neither of these identities will ever be linked to my banking/financial self.

And Google keeps asking for my phone number now.

4. Thanks From:
    kse

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback but I am looking for the source of the information as I want to look further into it. I absolutely agree and get freaked out by the number of sites that want my FB/TW login info.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread