sitebuilding tools
    Hey guys I was just wandering if any of you have had any experience with yahoo web hosting and yahoo sitebuilder. This is what I have been using to design and host my sites it has been working ok but I am wandering if there are any better free web design programs out that are easy to use such as WYSIWYG programs. Also for I would like opinions on webhosting. Thanks guys.

I hate those kind of drag and drop programs, this is what I just started playing with at the recommendations of a few people to make my sites html5 and CSS3 compliant.
    HTML5 Boilerplate - A rock-solid default template for HTML5 awesome.
    [url]http://deathchallenge.com[/url]

3. Thanks From:

Website Designing
    ya its so difficult to program. Its better if you consult a web designer. Your work will be easier.

I prefer to use Wordpress for site building. It has a user friendly interface and the themes are flexible enough to allow customization. There are numerous plugins too.

For hosting, I go with HostGator. They have good up time and customer service.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd
    Affiliate Marketing by Affilorama | Free SEO Software by Traffic Travis

6. Thanks From:

If you are a non techie like me then WP is the way to go. You will quickly get to be proficient with it and you will not be held to ransome by some third party programmer.

You can get a really professional looking site using the various themes available.
    0 to $1m before I am 70, Ok maybe 71 !!! (April 2013)
    You Can Eat Our Noodles Without Gaining A Pound
    What is this life if full of care we have no time to stand and stare.

For what it's worth, I know someone who runs a VERY successful content site using Pagebuilder & Yahoo hosting.

We are quick to throw around suggestions to use Wordpress & Joomla (myself included), but it's very easy to have your site performance & SEO suffer, unless you have some technical expertise available.

If a site performs well using old school html & css, why change it?

Disclaimer: I'm still cleaning up a URL mess that occurred when I upgraded a Joomla component. It NEVER would have happened using traditional html methods.

I would recommend using hostgator as your hosting company and wordpress.org to design your sites on. Hostgator has some really cheap hosting plans under $10 a month for unlimited domains. You can also use there Fantastico feature to install wordpress onto any one of your domains with a click of a button.

Hostgator & Wordpress.org

It's a beautiful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone View Post
    We are quick to throw around suggestions to use Wordpress & Joomla (myself included), but it's very easy to have your site performance & SEO suffer, unless you have some technical expertise available
    I think wordpress.org has some really great plugins to help with SEO, such as "SEO by Yoast" and "All In One SEO Pack"

Unless you've heard or have had experience in these plugins not working. I've heard great things.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by andymisiu View Post
    I think wordpress.org has some really great plugins to help with SEO, such as "SEO by Yoast" and "All In One SEO Pack"

Unless you've heard or have had experience in these plugins not working. I've heard great things.
    You still have to learn what to do with them, properly
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Convergence View Post
    You still have to learn what to do with them, properly
    Yea, you have to configure them correctly, but there is plenty of information on how to do that online. Just gotta find a trusted source (that's the tricky part)

I'm a fan of All in One SEO Pack myself. I use it on all of my Wordpress site, very easy to install and use.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Brett_Oranum View Post
    I hate those kind of drag and drop programs, this is what I just started playing with at the recommendations of a few people to make my sites html5 and CSS3 compliant.
    HTML5 Boilerplate - A rock-solid default template for HTML5 awesome.[/url]
    i also think that , this is good tool

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    +1 for WordPress hosted on your own hosting account.
    Wade Tonkin - Affiliate Manager - Fanatics
    NFLShop.com|Shop.NHL.com|NBAStore.com|Store.NASCAR.com
    Email wtonkin // at // Fanatics.com

If a site performs well using old school html & css, why change it?
    I agree. I would use old school HTML too (hand coding makes me feel all smart... LOL) but just really have no patience when there are applications/tools to make it easier.
    Michelle
    Affilorama Group Ltd

May the Force be with you:
    As a pro designer/developer and webmaster, I have to think more people should dig in and learn HTML and CSS - they are really not that difficult and they give you an extra edge when it comes to online marketing.

After all, these are not near as difficult as learning a programming language - they're only markup. Only inserting plain English markup tags into plain text. All very logical - and there are tons of helpful websites one Google search away, when you get stuck.

I wouldn't be able to format text beautifully in WordPress (or modify WP themes) if I didn't know CSS. WordPress default text formatting has improved over the years, but still leaves a lot to be desired - especially on mobile devices.

Also highly recommended:
    Commercial Code Validators:
    These programs scan your HTML and CSS and find errors, problems and issues with specific browsers. And they give you advice and suggestions, so you don't need to be all that expert to use validators.

For HTML, I use the "CSE" validator. For CSS, I use "TopStyle". When WordPress misbehaves and it's not the fault of a plugin, I find that running the theme's CSS through a CSS validator usually finds and fixes the problem.

For standard websites I really prefer the Adobe Dreamweaver web editor - and it has a built-in validator (but I still prefer and use CSE and TopStyle with Dreamweaver sites). For pro results, learn to use pro tools.

Other cool (free) tools:
    "Pixie" from Nattyware software: Hover your mouse over any pixel on your screen and read out the color settings for that color.

JR Screen Ruler from Spadix software: On-screen ruler (in pixels) to measure anything on your display screens.

Google Picasa: A great image database, album creator and more.

GIMP: A free Photoshop-like image editor.

Not free, but amazingly good for charts and graphs (make one of those viral "infographics" for a huge burst of traffic?) SmartDraw from SmartDraw software.

Hope this helps...
    _jim coe

I know this thread is ancient, but I thought I'd reply for future readers.

I've used Yahoo for hosting, domain registration and sitebuilding.

My advice is DON'T!

Yahoo is a fine company, but hosting, registration and sitebuilding is not their main business. Stick with companies that specialize in hosting and/or domain registration. If you need a sitebuilder template, most of these companies now offer them.

I had an old site with them I originally built with sitebuilder. I later rebuilt the site with WP. Things may be different now, but here's what I found:

Hosting leaves a lot to be desired. Support is there, but not always knowledgeable. With the WP site, I was not allowed to use an .htaccess file. Something about not wanting to expose their servers to hackers or something. This meant a lot of workarounds or just not doing certain things. Hosting on Yahoo is a bit more expensive. Also, when I switched to WP, I had to do a special installation and set-up just to get it to work on Yahoo's servers.

Domain registration was weird. I never quite new when my expiration date was.

Sitebuilding is probably different now. It's been a while. I can tell you that I think sitebuilder templates are very limited. Hard to change. There's a learning curve, but in the long-run you'll do much better with WP. It's easier to modify a WP theme. There are lots of forums out there and lots of people who will help you. Usually, you're just adding a line of code to the CSS. Also, there are plugins available for pretty much anything you want or need to do.

My advice is to forget Yahoo. It's not their main business. Sitebuilders are deceiving. It's easy at first, but as you progress with your web journey, you'll soon find you are very limited and you will become very frustrated. If you stick with it, you'll end up learning to use something like WP anyway.

site building
    I prefer to use Wordpress for site building. It has a user friendly interface and the themes are flexible enough to allow customization.

20. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread