ABW Ambassador
    After a long negative thread mysteriously dissapeared today, at least 5 (mildly) negative posts were removed in rapid succession from the ABW GoCollect forum today -- each time a new one was posted by someone else it was removed, with no notice or explanation whatsoever. Take that however you like. Makes me wonder what (else) they are hiding.

I intended to post this in the feedback forum, but, I now believe it was intentional. If its a UBB Software issue, I apologize, please move this post to the correct forum!

----
    -JM

BTW, From what I've seen in the past this is NOT standarard operating procedure from ABW merchants who have their own forum here at ABW. Is this sanctioned behavoir?

I've seen many AM's "take the heat" and let negative (and sometimes highly inflammatory!) threads run their course, at most I've seen a lock applied.

ABW Ambassador
    I am just about ready to pull their entire program from my site. I have had no sales after almost 1,000 visitors

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

ABW Ambassador
    I'm not so sure this belongs in the fraud column but I do take issue with GoCollect deleting the thread and refusing to "really answer" the questions that were asked.

The issue is a simple one. Their private program DOES NOT write out a cookie. In an initial response by Lou, it was stated that no cookie was written because some people had failed to update their site. This was not the issue at all because NO COOKIE is written at all even on the latest version of the datafeed currently available.

OK so some simple questions were asked which was basically :

What was the "cookie duration" for the in house program and how was it tracked with no cookie?

There was never a response to that question despite it being bumped (I believe 3 times).

Certainly, no reponse of those questions and deletion of the thread was not a response anyone using the in house feed should feel comfortable with or appreciate.

I see where Lou has put in a post that he may feel describes their "extensive tracking" by way of "some scripting that they themselves created" but the questions asked remain unanswered in my opinion.

ABW Ambassador
    Holly $h1t! I just spent days to finish up GoCollect datafeed stuff. I tested after reading this thread. Yes, it does not creat any cookie. I am using the datafeed direct from GoCollect with the modification for CJ PID etc. I tested regular CJ links. They creat cookies for qksrv and commission-junction.

Without a cookie being written to the visitors PC there is no way to track a returning visitor irrespective of the 'scripting' used. If they track IP addresses, that may work with some visitors, but most ISPs will use dynamic addresses so making that inaccurate at best. Any other method I can think of for tracking a PC would rely on security flaws within the browser.

With respect to the data feed version, that has nothing to do with cookies being written. The cookie is placed by the merchant's website - how the visitor got there (by banner, text link, or datafeed) is irrelevant.

Having said that, I am a GoCollect direct affiliate, and have had 5 or 6 (small) sales this month alone - so it isn't a total loss.

I don't understand the reluctance of GoCollect to fix the cookie issue, though. It is a pretty trivial thing to do and would make affiliates far more likely to promote the site and make them more money (never minding the negative publicity they are getting here).

“There are only two settings, stun and kill...it would be best not to confuse them.”
    --Malcom Reed

I suspect there's something fishy going on. I send them traffic...no sales. I get a sale...it gets reversed. Or returned. Then it's out of stock for 8 months.

Their program either sucks really, really badly, or there's something underhanded going on. Deleting posts is a big red flag waving in the wind...

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Merchant Fraud?
    Post any/all skullduggery here!
    ---

fraud-
    1. A deception deliberately practiced in order to secure unfair or unlawful gain.
    2. A piece of trickery; a trick.
    1. One that defrauds; a cheat.
    2. One who assumes a false pose; an impostor.

--
    skullduggery -
    Crafty deception or trickery or an instance of it.

--

I thought this forum fit perfectly.

It is my opinion that Lou is trying to trick affiliates by removing negative posts/replies. Trickery.

Again, take the info as you wish. I just wanted you to be able to HAVE the info.

----
    -JM

ABW Ambassador
    I checked again, the clicks from datafeed links do not show up in CJ stats.

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>BTW, From what I've seen in the past this is NOT standarard operating procedure from ABW merchants who have their own forum here at ABW. Is this sanctioned behavoir?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A merchant can move, delete, edit, or lock posts/threads within their own forum. Nothing precludes them from doing so. However, those actions sometimes can speak volumes more than anything they could possibly post as a response.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

I just posted this in the GoCollect forum - didn't know other posts had been deleted, so pasting it here too. Mainly because I think it explains what the problem has been between affs and Lou.

Maybe I'm being too charitable, but I don't think the GoCollect behaviour in their forum is malicious (but I didn't see what got deleted apart from the main cookie thread), I think there's just a lot of stuff they don't "get". This whole thing has really blown up because they didn't "get" the significant difference between a visitor and a customer.

This is v frustrating for me as I regularly make very good commissions with GoCollect.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Firstly, thanks for clarifying this key point concerning "return days" and cookies on the in-house program.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lou Cohen, GoCollect.com:
    Clearly, some of you feel that this is not what is going on.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you have misunderstood the source of concern, and I'm not entirely sure you yet understand that there is a significant differentce in affiliates eyes between the CJ and in-house program.

At CJ, your program is listed as:

Action Referral Period 45 day(s)
    Action Referral Occurrences Unlimited

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand that to mean that an affiliate-referred visitor who doesn't buy on the first visit keeps the affiliate cookie for 45 days (unless overwritten) and the affiliate gets credit for any and all purchases made within that time.

What you have clarified about the in-house program is that an affiliate-referred visitor who doesn't buy on the first visit keeps no association with the affiliate. That means that any break to think about the purchase, talk it over with a spouse, research other web sites, buy when they get paid, etc etc - means that affiliates get no credit.

That's why this tetchiness has arisen between us and you - we kept wanting to talk about how you track visitors and you kept telling us how you track customers. Now you've clarified how the in-house program tracks visitors - it doesn't.

Now, opinions vary between affiliates about the importance of these "return days" - many think that if the sale isn't closed immediately, it's unlikely to be completed next day or later - the most important thing is that (at last) the facts are in the open so people can make an informed choice.

One important question remains: wouldn't it be better/fairer/more attractive if the in-house program offered the same return days setup as the CJ program? While some affiliates prefer a 3rd party solution, many others favor independent programs ... all other factors being equal.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KCEdit:
    I checked again, the clicks from datafeed links do not show up in CJ stats.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The only clicks you will see are from the banners because they use qksrv. The datafeed links dont.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread