Paid Placement of Ads
    I have started to receive a lot of email request from Merchants wanting me to put them on my sites as a paid placement.

I would like some suggestions from the ABW members, and the merchants here, as to what would be a fair monthly price for paid site placements.

The site has over one million pages on it.

Thanks

Richard
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; December 28th, 2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added some more

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I don't do paid ads either though I have investigated about a year back or so.

It depends on a few things and depends on:

(1) How much traffic you get
    (2) Your niche
    (3) Location of ads or links
    (4) What the client are willing to pay
    (5) What your competitors are charging
    (6) Whether you are selling monthly, quarterly, bi-annually, etc.
    (7) How much would you get if you place Google Adsense in that very same spot?
    (8) Is the ad site wide or only on selected pages?

I think it would be hard to get ideas from fellow ABWers since we all have different niches. But a good place to start is looking at Google Adsense and see how much you would earn if you place an ad in various locations on your site and see how much you would get in say a month. Obviously the money maker location is above the fold, in the center, smack between content. So this is also probably where link buyers would want to pay more for keyword rich text links. For sidebar 125x125 ads you would have to charge less since this area gets less eye balls and click throughs.

Another place to look is at is Semrush where they give you an idea how much your traffic is worth versus competitors.

3. Thanks From:

The site gets around 120,000 visitors per month and around 80,000 of them are unique visitors.

I do have adsense on the site and get around 600.00 dollars per month from it.

I have gotten a lot of these over the last few years. Some of the merchants that have contacted me do not have affiliate Programs. However some of these merchants have affiliate programs and I am an active affiliate that send them a lot of sales (and they know that)

So up until now If they do not have an affiliate program, I tell them I not interested and if they setup an affiliate program to let me know.

The ones that do have an affiliate program and I send a lot of sales their way, I tell them I not interested in paid placements but if they give me better terms (for the long term) I will give them a better placement on my site for FREE!!!

Up until this point most merchants are willing to work out a better deal to get what they want. Some offer me short term bonus but I always refuse that offer I want my base rate increased for the long term and not the short term.

Not sure i answered your question but this is what I do when someone contacts me about paid placements.

One other note, if the site did not generate much income for me I may consider a paid placement but up to now no one (other then SEO firms) have offers me $$ for these sites. (I always turn down SEO Offers on all mt sites)

Kevin..........
    MERCHANTS: Start showing your coupons directly on your site, that way your shoppers will stop leaving your site looking for them!! If not then remove your Coupon Box!!

6. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy View Post
    I do have adsense on the site and get around 600.00 dollars per month from it.
    You have some nice traffic. Now is that for one ad location or multiple Adsense ads on your site. If you are able to break it down further into a specific Ad location then you'll have an idea for a starting point $.

Let's say you have one ad 300x250 in your Adsense sweet hotspot, above the fold center, that produces $600. Each ad has 3 text links if text ads are your form of ads. So each textlink produces $200. So if you were to replace one of those Adsense text ads with a paid ad you will have to at least charge $200 to make up for the difference (charge more). That's the way I would approach it if I were to do it. Others will probably have better ideas and experiences

8. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Have you looked into using some of the ad networks like Doubleclick, see what they would offer for CPM banners on your site. Might give you an idea what to charge. Also ask Diane from iNet since she sells banner ads for all the iNet sites.

10. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah View Post
    You have some nice traffic. Now is that for one ad location or multiple Adsense ads on your site. If you are able to break it down further into a specific Ad location then you'll have an idea for a starting point $.

Let's say you have one ad 300x250 in your Adsense sweet hotspot, above the fold center, that produces $600. Each ad has 3 text links if text ads are your form of ads. So each textlink produces $200. So if you were to replace one of those Adsense text ads with a paid ad you will have to at least charge $200 to make up for the difference (charge more). That's the way I would approach it if I were to do it. Others will probably have better ideas and experiences
    I have 3 G banner ads at the top of each page. 1 728x90 and 2 468x60. Best Shopping Center, Best Shopping Mall, Best Shopping Directory

The site brings in around $2,000 per month in commissions from merchant affiliate sales.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Consider adding ad server software to your site. This will allow you to better target your ads vs showing non-relevant ads, ie: Baby stuff on medical supply pages, etc.

This will allow you to manage both your advertisers and affiliate banners. You can "weight" your banners, ie: choose to show paid over your affiliate or show one set more frequently.

Being targeted allows you to charge more. You can set things up to charge for a week, month, year or by number of impressions. If you don't want to publish your ad prices, you can then customize based on the advertiser. If you are an affiliate of a merchant making you $50/month then you should consider covering any potential loss of income from commissions.

You can have one ad server to handle all your websites.

EDIT: With ad serving software you can also include the likes of adsense in the rotation.
    Last edited by Convergence; December 28th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

14. Thanks From:

ABW Ambassador
    Some very good suggestions here.I also had some merchants ask for my paid placement proposals over the years. Realy have no idea how to response to them. Ladidah brought up some good points for ad placement. I also like Kse's approach to negotiate a better term instead of paid ads.

16. Thanks From:

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    When I was running a domain/hosting affiliate program I kept finding high traffic sites that would make great affiliates. Was able to talk to several and they were making good money by selling advertising. They didn't have to worry about tracking off the site and just impressions. You may want to contact John Jantsch and see if he can steer you in the right direction: Small Business Marketing Consultants, Strategies and Ideas - ::

18. Thanks From:

Thanks - some really good ideas so for.

Keep them coming if anyone has some more ideas.

Richard

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread