OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Is wild sage OK for cooking?
    OK you food experts (foodies), is the wild sage that grows native out west the same as you buy in the store? I picked some and made a meatloaf last week (eating a sandwich of leftovers) and its got a very strong/bitter taste.

Of course it could be that I just walked across the road and picked some down low. Might be that they sprayed it with Paraquat to keep the hippies from smoking it!

Definitely am not a food expert but made a search for ya at McCormicks
    Ummm, haven't done this for a while lol so might end up being in gigantic letters. Can't remember how am supposed to do it but here goes:

Sage is the silvery-gray dried leaves of an evergreen shrub of the mint family. Sage is native to the Mediterranean area and is primarily imported by McCormick from the Dalmatian region of Croatia.
    Am guessing from that description that the wild sage is not the same you buy from the store.

Also got this from a govt. site:
    Wild sage, also known as
    button sage, common sage, sea sage, white sage,
    orégano, terete, peonía colorada, contite, and
    frutilla, is a shrub commonly 1 to 2 m in height
    with showy flowers.
    Did it have purple flowers?? Not positive but I think sage is salvia (a pretty plant with purple flowers ) There's a whole bunch of varieties of salvia and it's available in different colors. Umm, needless to say I have the purple. (Have never tried to eat it tho)

Looked up and found some other info and Native American Indians use the wild sage in their cooking a lot evidently. Recipes I found was very small amount used tho. Most uses were as herbal teas and skin products.

Since it says is also known as oregano I do know that can be pretty strong so you'd only want to use small amounts. Maybe you just put lil bit too much in the meatloaf??

Ooops almost forgot. lol yeap do know that can be smoked and some even want to ban it or least have it restricted.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Thanks Kathy, you are probably right that I used too much. I striped the leaves from half a dozen sprigs and chopped them (not too finely). Recipe called for 1 teaspoon ground sage. It wasn't dried out either.

Was talking with the wife of a buddy on the ski lift last week about growing herbs for cooking. When I started to make the recipe I realized I was out of sage and at $4-9 a little container decided I would harvest my own.

Next time I will dry it and use the prescribed amount. Thanks for looking into it.

You're very welcome. Don't really use much of sage except in the poultry seasoning for stuffing. Think it has a fairly strong taste, tho so sounds like was just a bit too much.

You should try growing your own herbs Have done some and is very easy to do and doesn't take up much room either. You can just have them in lil clay pots on or near a window in your kitchen. Lots you can do. Lemon basil is a really nice and easy one.

5. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    Wild sage is fine. In fact, a lot of wild plants can be great. Here in SoCal there's a class held every Saturday by a local expert in plant identification. Throughout the morning we walk through the woods learning about what we can eat and how to identify it, gathering as we go, and then at the end of the class we share a salad made from the plants we've gathered. If you can find a class like that in your area you may enjoy it. Lots to learn with interesting people.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

7. Thanks From:

I think sage is amazing - and the wild ones are just a bit more stronger aren't they? I use it all the time!

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread