Newbie.....will this work.
    I've been on the customer end of a cash back website for a long time. Mrreabtes has been good too me until eBay dropped the cash back thing. I was making a killing just on the cash back.
    Anyway here's my question

Can I participate in affiliate marketing without having my own website driving traffic. For example I pay for an ad on a website that has my affiliate code imbedded and wallah collect the dollars.

I have specifics in mind but I guess my question is will the affiliate programs accept me without having a domain to show them or should I just set up one and proceed with the above idea.

These will be targeted ads to a captive audience that I know will want to purchase the products that's are offered.

Does this idea work, is it called something else?

I'm a total newbie on affiliate marketing but a serial entrepreneur and money lover.

In this day & age, I don't think many merchants will accept an affiliate without their own domain.. and in many cases, commission is only earned on links that originate from your own website.

Having said that, I believe it varies across merchants - the above is specific to merchants I deal with, but there are affiliates out there who know exactly which merchants allow PPC (which is what you're talking about - ie, advertising your affiliate link on another site, usually via Google AdWords). You would have to familiarize yourself with bidding policies for each & every merchant - finding yourself on the wrong side of that usually means being kicked out of a network.

In my opinion, if you're a serial entrepreneur, you would be better off creating your own site - where you get to control the traffic, and also have the opportunity to work with a greater number of merchants.

And welcome to ABW!

Awesome I got a response. Thank you.

Say I frequent a certain meassage board/forum. I have noticed that there prices for advertising are relatively cheap given the number of visitors they get.

Let me explain this in more detail. Mrrebates gives you 20 % of the rebates earned by anyone who signs up under you. My idea is too place a banner ad that they give you, on specific websites that are aimed at people who will want to purchase from specific stores that mrrebates has good offers from. Small banner ads on these sights are relatively cheap.

Since i have wasted most of my day exploring abw, I need to get some work done now and will post more on my idea when i get home.

Thanks for the input, this is an amazing informational sight btw.

Another way too explain..... I will be taking a banner ad meant for my website and paying to place it on another website. This is the root of my question. Will this work.

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Carwasher View Post
    Another way too explain..... I will be taking a banner ad meant for my website and paying to place it on another website. This is the root of my question. Will this work.
    In theory, yes.

Providing you can get accepted by a network and/or merchant without a website.

There are independent programs out there (aka indie / inhouse / no network) that may allow you to do just what you want to do without a website.

In any case, ALWAYS read both the network's and merchant's TOS (Terms of Service). Some clearly state the site must be controlled by you, no forum postings, no parked domains, etc...
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    In this day & age, I don't think many merchants will accept an affiliate without their own domain.. and in many cases, commission is only earned on links that originate from your own website.
    If you clearly define how you market in your affiliate profile a merchant will accept you if they are OK with the method. CJ and SAS have the best affiliate descriptions.

Yes I see how this works and could even see you doing it on ABW if you offered something that affiliates wanted. Your tracking link is of no consequence if the ad is approved.

Since i have wasted most of my day exploring abw, I need to get some work done now and will post more on my idea when i get home.
    You come here asking for advice and got some solid answers then go and make a statement like that! Do you say the same after spending an hour on Google looking for answers that Google wasted your time?

You come here asking for advice and got some solid answers then go and make a statement like that! Do you say the same after spending an hour on Google looking for answers that Google wasted your time?
    My initial reaction was the same. I don't think he meant it as an insult but some people aren't really clued in when it comes to communication. I've seen tons of that here...mostly from those who aren't fluent in English and therefore have an excuse.

8. Thanks From:

this this might have been more of a compliment than a slam - he/she got carried away reading abw.

Thanks for the input, this is an amazing informational sight btw.

10. Thanks From:

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread