Pay Per Call - Does it Work for You
    I know there is a CJ pay per call thread but now that most networks have Pay Per Call platform, I thought a general Pay Per Call thread was appropriate.

I've been receiving emails from many merchants asking me to join their Pay Per Call programs. I don't have much experience in this area.

I'm curious if it's a popular form of affiliate advertising and if it's working for any of you.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    From the merchant/OPM side I have been trying to get this as a pilot for the last year and should be launching by months end. I can tell you that one successful affiliate is making good money with it via his site and PPC. With a unique 800# that is tied to you only you can do social and offline marketing as well.

3. Thanks From:

i have no answer to one thing is
    if affiliate program in affiliate network - rejected
    and PPCall program - accepted

can i still run the PPCall program and earn commission from call program alone ?
    or i still have to get approved by both ?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan View Post
    i have no answer to one thing is
    if affiliate program in affiliate network - rejected
    and PPCall program - accepted

can i still run the PPCall program and earn commission from call program alone ?
    or i still have to get approved by both ?
    can i still run the PPCall program and earn commission from call program alone ? --No

or i still have to get approved by both ?-- Yes

You need to get approved by the affiliate program first.

6. Thanks From:

I'm trying it on one of my sites and have had some success over the last couple of weeks. Not a lot of money, but people are definitely calling.

I think it depends a lot on the offer. For instance, I'm using this on a credit repair merchant, which is the type of thing people like to speak to someone about. I wasn't getting any clicks for this merchant, so decided to try the calls - which is working.

Of course, I have some that don't count because users call after hours. The "techy" thing to do I guess would be to swap out my ad with a version that doesn't have a phone number during off hours, but not sure if that's really usefull for this merchant. Good news is that if they were to call back with the same phone number during business hours I'd get paid - so that's a plus.

8. Thanks From:

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Hi Bibby

From the merchant side of things, we have Paychex running on Pay per call and the standard web based system. The Pay Per Call business exceeded the web based business last month. Pay Per Call was set up about 8 months ago.

I believe it does very much depend on the offer in place as housebg said. It won't work for everything but does work very well for the right offer.

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

10. Thanks From:

...and a Pirate's heart. Convergence's Avatar
    Tomorrow we are going to remove ourselves from all Pay Per Call Programs on Shareasale. Here's why:

Even when someone clicks on a standard (non-pay per call) link - ANY link, you only receive Pay Per Call rates. You don't receive the regular merchant commission.

Our understanding was IF a visitor physically CALLED the merchant with your assigned phone number then you would have the opportunity to receive the Pay Per Call commission rates. Not true. When we noticed that our regular sales stopped. We removed all Pay Per Call creatives and left just normal text / banner links. We even let phone numbers expire. Yet the only commissions we receive now are at Pay Per Call rates. Even when someone clicks on a non-pay per call creative/banner.

Thought this to be unusual but it's happening on all the merchants we are signed up to do Pay Per Call with.

Again, this is on Shareasale - have no idea about any other network...
    Last edited by Convergence; April 25th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
    Salty kisses, Sandy toes, and a Pirate's heart...

12. Thanks From:

>> We even let phone numbers expire. Yet the only commissions we receive now are at Pay Per Call rates. Even when someone clicks on a non-pay per call creative/banner.

means you have to unjoin all PPC programs too rather than just removing PPC links ?
    is it written on any terms or webpage ?

>> can i still run the PPCall program and earn commission from call program alone ? --No
    >> or i still have to get approved by both ?-- Yes

i am still confused to this.
    It it CJ or ringrevenue have definite answer to that ?

means you have to unjoin all PPC programs too rather than just removing PPC links ?
    It would appear so based on our experience in the past few months.

is it written on any terms or webpage ?
    Not that I personally recall reading, and I'm a TOS reading freak. I don't remember even reading any TOS for Pay Per Call. Has been a while...

16. Thanks From:

Hi Convergence,

Could you clarify a little more, as this might explain a few things for my sites. I have a couple PayPerCall merchants setup. On one site, I have a banner with the phone number but the link is also clickable. One another site, the same banner is just a link - no phone number.

So if someone clicks through to the site from either banner and purchases, I won't get the commission because I'm part of the PayPerCall for that merchant and no one called?

Quote Originally Posted by housebg View Post
    Hi Convergence,

Could you clarify a little more, as this might explain a few things for my sites. I have a couple PayPerCall merchants setup. On one site, I have a banner with the phone number but the link is also clickable. One another site, the same banner is just a link - no phone number.

So if someone clicks through to the site from either banner and purchases, I won't get the commission because I'm part of the PayPerCall for that merchant and no one called?
    Not saying YOU won't. Saying WE only received the Pay Per Call commission when ANY link/creative was clicked on. Saying, I personally don't believe we were getting that many phone calls to merchants from banners that were clicked on. Banners that had NO phone numbers. Banners that were merchants' normal URL/links from the SAS interface - not the Pay Per Call interface. Yet all clicks tracked as a phone call. As mentioned before, we actually have let all our unique phone numbers EXPIRE and return back to the pool. Yet ALL clicks show as a phone call and this is for ALL the merchants we were doing Pay Per Call with.

Reminds me, have a phone call to make...

Furthermore, we host nearly all merchant banners (99.99%). Meaning we serve them from our ad server and even created BYOL from the SAS interface for those banners. Those, too, tracked as a call and in our stats from our ad server, showed as a click...

Vendor
    Convergence & I connected on the issue he was experiencing. While we were unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem he reported, I just wanted to clarify for all the way you can expect commissions to be attributed when the merchant has both a pay-per-call offer and an online affiliate offer. Clicks on any online creative are tracked via your network's standard online process and calls are tracked through our platform. If the customer converts online, that commission is tracked through the affiliate program. If the customer converts over the phone, that commission is tracked through the pay-per-call platform.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; April 27th, 2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: removed link

21. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by Lorelei Curt View Post
    Convergence & I connected on the issue he was experiencing. While we were unable to pinpoint the exact cause of the problem he reported
    Feel so, well, unique...and...special!

Lorelei and I had a GREAT conversation. Explained to her how we verify all clicks to the merchant and even demonstrated how we monitor all traffic...LIVE. So when Shareasale's interface shows a CLICK from a banner - it's a click from a banner and not a phone call in any shape or form. She gave me the clarification as she pointed out above, how each creative's click stream works.

So we are doing some testing for the next three months on the merchants we discussed to better figure out what may need addressing.

Am still VERY excited about Pay Per Call and will start testing it on CJ as well, very soon...

23. Thanks From:

Be interested to see how things go Convergence with your testing. My patience is about gone. I'm just a teeny affiliate so the volume is not even close to the amount you would have but have done a lil bit of experimenting with both CJ and SAS with a couple of merchants and has amounted to absolutely nothing. There have been calls made but for whatever reason not received anything from any of them, not even a single penny. So, patience is about gone.

25. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by purplebear View Post
    Be interested to see how things go Convergence with your testing. My patience is about gone. I'm just a teeny affiliate so the volume is not even close to the amount you would have but have done a lil bit of experimenting with both CJ and SAS with a couple of merchants and has amounted to absolutely nothing. There have been calls made but for whatever reason not received anything from any of them, not even a single penny. So, patience is about gone.
    Calls just like clicks is a number game. Not getting commissions on Pay Per Click calls has nothing to do with what I've been experiencing.

Not trying to start some sort of hysteria - just trying to figure out the tracking...

Nope, no hysterics started or intended Was just commenting on my own very limited experience with it and interested in what kind of experience others have had with it.

Was originally asked to participate in it so have done so with kinda baby steps til I see how it works. Also, admit I don't completely understand the benefits of it either given how it's turned out for me so far. Just from my own experiences, does seem a bit strange to have calls that are made (altho not talking about a large number) but none of them convert to anything at all. Would think if somebody picks up the phone to call and speak to somebody there's some sort of serious interest in what they're calling about or why would they have bothered.

Would have thought there would be a higher converting rate than just having regular ole links on your site. Just from my own experience tho it doesn't appear that way at all. That's the reasoning for me saying my patience was near to running out.

28. Thanks From:

Affiliate Manager
    With mobile on the uprise, I've been seeing more PPC (the OTHER PPC - call not click) offers come up. I'm interested to see the metric though, as they're so new they haven't been tested much.

30. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread