Need a little inspirational advice
    Hi All,

Wanted to see if the ABW family would take a moment to give me some inspirational advice - I really, really need it.

Been working on my affiliate marketing since 2004 in my spare time, as I had a very lucrative job with Sony PlayStation for the last 12 years. Came into the office on Wed to start the new year, and my boss came in and fired me with no warning and no discussion of what my supposed transgressions were. I'm having to pretend this is "voluntary" and work through a transition for the rest of the month, but of course all my co-workers that really know me have seen through this act. But I'll do it, because I manage a department of 30 people that I care too much about to leave hanging. And if I ever want to go back to making video games, the industry is just way too small to do anything stupid as I leave.

I just turned 45 the week before (Happy Birthday to me??) and I have always been trying to figure out how to make my internet businesses take off so I could retire from the corporate world. I'm going to make this a positive situation, as I have enough stashed away to not have to take another job for the next year. So I'm going to focus on my internet businesses - affiliate sites, website design and coding work, etc.

But honestly - I am really scared. While I've dreamed of having my own business, the reality is frightening and self-doubts keep creeping in. It's like a little inner voice that doesn't want to shut up...

I know a number of you made the transition from working for someone else to running your own business, and I'm looking for advice on how to handle the fear and uncertainty. I'm sure it's natural, but it just hits me like a bulldozer at moments and leaves me quaking.

Any and all words of wisdom appreciated right now. I'll have more time to be active in the community, that's a definite plus :-)

Barbara

Quote Originally Posted by housebg View Post
    Hi All,

Wanted to see if the ABW family would take a moment to give me some inspirational advice - I really, really need it.

Been working on my affiliate marketing since 2004 in my spare time, as I had a very lucrative job with Sony PlayStation for the last 12 years. Came into the office on Wed to start the new year, and my boss came in and fired me with no warning and no discussion of what my supposed transgressions were.

Barbara
    Don't know anything about your labour laws but this type of dismissal is illegal in the UK, seek advice.

Hi Daiarian,

Yeah, I wish I'd moved to London when I had the chance 2 years ago. :-) Unfortunately, I'm in an "at will" dismissal state in the US - so no recourse. But thanks for thinking of that.

Barbara

Affiliate Manager Yulia from DNP's Avatar
    You are scared because you are on a limited budget here. Although you stated that you have enough money to go for another year, But this time is not '" taking your time to learn" , its more of, "you have a dead line of a year and you must, you have, to do something with yourself and learn as fast as you can and make money during too."
    So, i can understand why you are scared.
    I would continue to look for a job meanwhile to have your plan B waiting. You are not feeling too secured about yourself right now and this is just not healthy , and no way to make a new start.
    Its either this, or you need to begin reading books, learning,etc etc . Until you make your first $ and then you will begin to feel more secured. So, i would suggest on checking out some IM helpers (books) tutorials, etc.
    [B]Yulia Borova
    Affiliate Manager - [B][url=http://DirectNetPartners.com][COLOR="Purple"]Tobacco Affiliate Program - GET 50$ Sign up bonus[/url][/COLOR][/B]
    Email: [email]Yulia@DirectNetPartners.com[/email] | Skype: DNPYulia | [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/DirectNet-Partners/211572005534452]Our Facebook Page[/url][/B]

5. Thanks From:

Quote Originally Posted by housebg View Post
    Hi Daiarian,

Yeah, I wish I'd moved to London when I had the chance 2 years ago. :-) Unfortunately, I'm in an "at will" dismissal state in the US - so no recourse. But thanks for thinking of that.

Barbara
    That is totally outrageous but there are limitations to "At will" agreements, take a look at this site.

(http://www) wrongfulterminationlaws.com/resources/wrongful-termination-law/wrongful-termination-claims/at-will-termination-legal.htm

As for AM do not expect quick and easy money, I have been in this for nearly 2 years and earned a shade under $400 and I have put in a huge amount of work. So your priority should be to find a regular job but any spare time you have give AM a go. Set up a WP site and jump straight in you will get loads of help and advice on this forum.

Best of luck

Thanks all for the advice. AM isn't the only thing I do, I design websites on a variety of platforms - and I'll be picking up more work in that area as well as my own AM efforts.

This is a great place to learn from, and I'll be up here more often I'm sure.

Re: fear + uncertainty. Yep, they have a way of creeping in & then you start second-guessing yourself. You sound like a very action-oriented person & that's the best way...just keep putting one foot in front of the other, learn + do as Yulia suggested.

This might not be what you were seeking, but thought I'd share these "stupid human tricks" a friend gave me to instantly lift your state of mind:
    • When doubts creep in, visualize an inner switch or button & say "Cancel, Clear" then switch to "GO!", "All Systems Clear" or whatever phrase you like that propels you forward. Then do something really physical for a couple of minutes.
    • Emotions always manifest in our physicality (fear makes muscles contract, breathing shallow), immediately do something to change your physical state: do jumping jacks, skip around your home, hop like a frog, put on fun dance music and dance like nobody's watching.

The sillier, the better. Keep doing until you feel the change.
    • Tie up negative thoughts one by one in a bundle, then throw them into outer space. Act out each step & make vigorous throwing motions.

Create ones that work for your style. Make sure they include vigorous physical actions that raise your heartbeat & increase breathing.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

9. Thanks From:

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread