An Affiliate program where the customer pays your PayPal account and then you forward the money to the merchant, less your commission. Basically, you get your money upfront. Does anyone have any insight on this process? Does it sound legitimate?

Just Lurking
    No it doesn't sound legit!
    Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Sounds like a merchant poser using a cheap shopping cart with a paypal option and one of 5000 datafeeds. Not legit without the actual fulfillment merchnat having your DNA on file with signed notorized contracts.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

ABW Ambassador
    This is highly suspicious. Steer away from such schemes.

Sounds to me. Is there supposed to be any other benefit to this arrangement, other than the affiliate getting their money up front?

What about returns? How are those handled?

Andy

Hey Andy and all!
    Thank you sooo much for sharing your thoughts and confirming my fears that this does sound fishy. There are no other real benefits to speak of. They even create your webpage for you. I know it sounds too good to be true and I would love to see where the legal issue exists that makes this illegitimate.

hmmm

ABW Ambassador
    This isn't an affiliate program, despite what they call it. This is a drop-ship account. You are the merchant if you collect payment from the customer. You assume all responsibilities as if they bought an item in your store. You are responsible for returns, honoring guarantees, collecting and reporting sales taxes. etc. This could be a successful arrangement if you know what you are getting into, can set your own prices, etc. If they are calling it an "affiliate program" then I would steer well away from it.

Wayne

http and a telephoto
    Yeah, what NorthernStudio said was just what I was thinking as I was reading it, you are NOT an affiliate, you are a wholesale merchant. BIG difference, you are responisble for returns and chargebacks and it is s YOUR paypal account that can have problems if you have a large number of fraudulent transactions.

Don't do it if you have alternative programs to use for this product line, and there almost always is an alternative...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    Catalog city?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Similar to Catalog City but sounds sleazier. CC is an affiliate, plus charges merchant setup fees and monthly hosting like a ducktaped mini-network. Give them setup money and a feed and they charge you 150/month to use the feed to make a 60/month Yahoo store. Then pay 50% of their earnings to duped affiliates on a 60 day basis. Sweet.

If this is a drop shipper with a feed template site they probably use Kowabunga with the replacate site option where the affiliate gets a cookie setting canned entry page with a small graphic and link back to their main site.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

NorthernStudio & loxly are providing you with sound advice. Be prepared to take on ALL the responsabilities that come with ALL the aspects of being the PAID vendor of ANY product purchase(s).

You will be held 100% accountable for ANY/ALL issues arising from ANY/ALL sale(s) made with this so-called 'affiliate' setup.

This particular setup is certainly a 'Drop-Shipment' vendor account setup as currently outlined above.

I STRONGLY recommend that you get legal council and signed contract(s) before accepting this type of partnership that clearly outlines YOUR responsability & ANY/ALL liabilities that you may incur by this partnership.

Keep this in mind ... just because you have a signed contract ... this does NOT mean that the payment cart service will honor any other services responsability in the event of warranty, returns, fraud, etc., you will be held 100% liable regardless of ANY contract you may have with ANY/ALL alternate service(s).
    Ray Thomas
    Webmaster Resources: http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board Category: Programming / Coding
    http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

I just skimmed this thread and may be speaking out of turn but I'm reminded of a guy who was offered a very lucrative deal. He was to receive payments and was to forward most of it to the seller in Europe, keeping his percentage. He was to cash the checks in to his account and send money orders to the seller.

Sounded great until the non-delivery of goods complaints came in, followed by a knock on the door.

He was inadvertently left holding the bag, so to speak. Those in Europe placed nonexistant goods for auction on eBay and he was unknowingly forwarding most of the money back to them.

You all are my goldmine of information. Thank you for all of the feedback. Herb, just as you said, the post commission money does go to Europe. The product is software code so I don't foresee any non-delivery issues. I am certainly using all of your suggestions.

I use a drop-ship merchant for the main portion of my site and have good results with it. My site has a PayPal buy button for the cutomer to buy from my site - then I order the goods to be drop shipped from the merchant.

PayPal offers protection from customer fraud if you only ship to the customers 'confirmed' address - so I refuse the bulk orders coming in from Pakastan and Maliasia.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread