Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    All, I urge you to read to the other threads in this forum concerning 0 day cookie durations if you havn't first.

This list of linkshare merchants was compiled based on companies with 0 and 1 day cookie durations in the linkshare system on 10/2/2002.

499 Car Warranty
    Adventurous Traveler
    Alazing
    ATT
    BoardTactics
    Columbia House
    Case Logic
    Click Vacations
    Collectors Choice Music
    Continental Airlines
    Critics Choice Video
    CVS Pharmacy
    Delias
    Dell Home
    Delta Vacations
    Dexter Shoes
    Drugstore.com
    Dutch Gardens
    Dygo Inc
    EB Games
    Enterprise rent a car
    Franklin Mint
    FreeSpark
    FTD
    Fujitsu PC
    Gallery Collection
    Gemplers
    Gift Baskets
    Green MarketPlace
    Haband Online
    HallMark
    HandSpring
    HarryAndDavid
    IMSI
    InPhonic
    InsWeb
    International Star Registry
    JCrew
    Jackson & Perkins
    JustGive
    Hotels at Anywhere
    Marine Park Camera (MP SuperStore)
    MediFocus
    MyFreeSoftware
    Lilian Vernon
    Mikasa
    National Instruments
    Nordstrom
    OfficeMax
    Omaha Steaks
    Orchard Bank
    ParGolfGear.com
    PGP Security
    PitneyBowes
    Red Envelope
    REI
    REI Outlet
    Ritz Camera
    SelfTest Software
    Sephora
    SharperImage
    SharpeScissors
    Shop At Home
    Site59
    SmarterKids
    UncommonGoods
    ValPak
    Vitamin Shoppe
    Walmart
    Weider Publications
    Wicks End1
    Wine.com
    YourActivePet

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Have to admit to truth. I haven't picked out any of the new ones on this list to try. Gave up on signing up for new merchants at LS a year ago until Mondera and ColdWater Creek came to ABW. I have 26 of the loosers on this list and the all convert sporatically... 7 of those haven't shown a sale in over a year. I have over 100 in the LS deadpool who all were 1 day cookie wonders.

I'll assume many are not high performers for even the parasites or Dupers either. Zero or 1 Day merchants are advertisers ..not sales partners.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    Add these folks to zero cookie day list too.

I have been waiting on approval for these folks for 4 months LOL and now that the holiday nears they approve me. They have a 0 cookie a $100 threhhold and offer quaertly payment according to the email.

I did send them a response back ugggggghh informing them of what I thought about their offer and that I would not be promoting them.

They'll get no holiday cheer from me.

Nice headsUp to the folks here Happypoon. No matter what seasonal promotion or creative you place for LandsEnd, or other ZERO cookie day merchants, you end up like 95% of all their affiliates with no check coming to you for your efforts. Take it from me LandsEnd never cut me a check. In over 2 years of effort to get 2814 clicks throughs they produced me 34.50. At this rate in 4 more years I will break their barrier to payment. They will drop their program like the other 100.00 mininum merchants before they ever cut me a check.

If your not a DUPER or parasite them stear clear of all ZERO day cookie merchants. The Angry Duck has spoken.

Have any of you ever seen a post for any of the above merchants on any affiliate type forum? Don't hold your breath waiting on it to happen. These are advertisers NOT sales partners and we are not in the advertising business.

WebMaster Mike

ABW Ambassador
    I actually got a response back from the lady there and she said they were considering changing the threshhold and the cookie durations. If enough others contacted and informed them you would no longer promote them until this policy was changed we might can get them to see the errs of their ways and actually bring them around. Of course if we don't say anything, and continue promoting them well you can guess what the results will be.

One at a time we can make a difference but it takes us working as a group. Contact them now.

I do very well with the Sharper Image affiliate program.

Are you sure that all of these have 0 or 1 day cookies? I recognized a few that claimed to have longer cookies.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

We have a 365 day cookie promotion in place, so I hope everyone reads the details in our forum, and signs up. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Thnaks,
    Michael

Michael
    973-621-6211 x 5040
    michael(at)barenecessities.com

Just checked the ones that I work with on that list. Found a couple that shouldn't be on the list:

OmahaSteaks.com has 7 return days.

SmarterKids.com has 5 return days.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I have tried the following email on a few of the 0 and 1 day cookie wonders, that I was interested in; only Reebok replied, they stated that there was no intention of changing their zero day cookie to something more resonable in the near future.

My email:

I have examined your site, and believe you offer a sevice that will be accepted by the internet users.

I would like to publish your site, however believe the majority of visitors would require time to obtain the information needed to complete the form, before taking advantage of your service.

Consequently your one day cookie is a non starter, If your intention was to avoid paying commissions you are well aware of the one day cookie impact.

If however you received bad advice or were unaware of the affect of this decision, I would be interested in taking advantage of your program.

Please Reply Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    I noticed on the above Linkshare list - SmarterKids.com - but, in Linkshare it states 5 return days. Not that this is a great thing but it is also not 0 or 1

Am I misunderstanding cookies and retun days?
    Where do I find info on cookies specifcically?

We have since changed our policy. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    All, I urge you to read to the other threads in this forum concerning 0 day cookie durations if you havn't first.

This list of linkshare merchants was compiled based on companies with 0 and 1 day cookie durations in the linkshare system on 10/2/2002.

499 Car Warranty
    Adventurous Traveler
    Alazing
    ATT
    BoardTactics
    Columbia House
    Case Logic
    Click Vacations
    Collectors Choice Music
    Continental Airlines
    Critics Choice Video
    CVS Pharmacy
    Delias
    Dell Home
    Delta Vacations
    Dexter Shoes
    Drugstore.com
    Dutch Gardens
    Dygo Inc
    EB Games
    Enterprise rent a car
    Franklin Mint
    FreeSpark
    FTD
    Fujitsu PC
    Gallery Collection
    Gemplers
    Gift Baskets
    Green MarketPlace
    Haband Online
    HallMark
    HandSpring
    HarryAndDavid
    IMSI
    InPhonic
    InsWeb
    International Star Registry
    JCrew
    Jackson & Perkins
    JustGive
    Hotels at Anywhere
    Marine Park Camera (MP SuperStore)
    MediFocus
    MyFreeSoftware
    Lilian Vernon
    Mikasa
    National Instruments
    Nordstrom
    OfficeMax
    Omaha Steaks
    Orchard Bank
    ParGolfGear.com
    PGP Security
    PitneyBowes
    Red Envelope
    REI
    REI Outlet
    Ritz Camera
    SelfTest Software
    Sephora
    SharperImage
    SharpeScissors
    Shop At Home
    Site59
    SmarterKids
    UncommonGoods
    ValPak
    Vitamin Shoppe
    Walmart
    Weider Publications
    Wicks End1
    Wine.com
    YourActivePet<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.insweb.com/about/associates/default.htm

http and a telephoto
    Is this list still accurate? Don't want to have links to places that aren't even going to attempt to let me earn money...

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

That list is so accurate, these merchants are fodder for pages and that’s it.

If there was a punishable crime for traffic theft, all of the above listed would be in prison for life!

SandraR

I was going to keep it to myself, but...
    Site59 changed their cookie duration to 14 days.

Mucho better IMO.

-----------------------------
    Scott

Have a nice day unless you have other plans

This list has many wrong listings.
    Drugstore.com, Mikasa, REI, Lillian Vernon and several others offer several return days, Drugstore.com is showing 20 return days for me..

That is the problem with having a listing like this...unless someone is going to keep it up to date. Very unfair to those merchants on the list that do offer return days.

Connie that is a load of doo doo.

The companies mentioned above are at the cookie level that is questionable.

SO the F*&*(&*(if they have heart ache over some bad publicity and change there cookies for a few months. Over the years they revert back to bad tactics.

If you are interested in sticking up for SHITY merchants than so be it. But to claim they are not shitty is WRONG.

SandraR

You can't equate "0 or 1 day cookies" with "won't make any money".

Some people may feel that cookie duration is the holy grail of affiliate marketing, and it may make a significant difference with some merchants, but the impact is minimal with others.

I looked through the list, and I saw 8 merchants that I currently work with (and I may have missed some). Virtually all of them perform well for me. Would they perform better if they offered longer cookies? Of course.

I've said it over and over again. You can't judge a merchant using only factors such as cookie duration, commission percent, toll free numbers, parasites, payment frequency, minimums, etc. You gotta look at the bottom line.

Amazon.com is awful if you look at it in terms of cookie duration, commission percent, and payment frequency. But they're consistently in the top 10% of my merchants. I suspect that many other affiliates could say the same thing. In fact, I've seen many say that Amazon.com is their #1 merchant.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I very seldom add on a new merchant with 0 or 1 day however I have a few that I use and seem to work out for a few sales
    I generally don't run with them but will. I am usually preferring to find one that is parasite free first and foremost.
    If they at least are running a legitimate program they will get a further review, even though a longer cookie merchant will usually be chosen before them

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    The list was accurate when it was posted but thats been a long time ago.

The point to this thread was not necessarily to point out each merchant that has a zero day cookie duration (that would be senseless IMO), but to inform newbees to consider the terms and understand what kind of deal they are signing up with.

My compliants are on several levels regarding most of these companies:

1) Do a cross reference with how many zero day merchants partner with parasites. Should parasites get unlimited cookie durations while you get zero day cookies?
    2) Micheal says you gotta look at the bottom line - well, most networks or merchants don't give you an epc indicator to judge what the bottom line will be. I could spend months building a site(s) exclsively for 0 day merchants and I'd likely be rewarded very little for my efforts. It's a broad stroke but on a massive level you are going to make much less on merchants with 0 day cookies.
    3) If affiliates are all so willing to promote 0 cookie day merchants what does that do for the outlook of good terms in the future?

I do believe merchants will continually reduce the terms if they see affiliates "promote everyone regardless". I could be wrong but, I feel that our own affiliate practices play a huge role in how competitive merchants offers are rather than "the system and the competitive nature of merchants against each other". I would like to see the bar being rasied on terms being offered - "not lowered" and want to do my part to help that happen! Either I'm screwed up or - many here completely miss this point as they promote anything and everything that can regardless of the terms.

For us, we've passed on all 0 day merchants for a long time and we've pulled the ones we wokred with when we were newbees. I do not like the prospects of promoting someone who would so easily take advantage of my skills and then partners with parasites to further undermine my work. We're in this field to feed us from the work we do not merchants who already screw their employees and partners and not the parasites who live off the scum merchants either. Feed them all you like and waste as much time as like promoting these slimeballs.

** Have you asked for change? **

I agree with Poon. Looked over the old list and everyone of them isn't worth a page view for conversions. Walmart's program ...bless their greedy hearts..must be run by some monkeys as the stats show they are SEASONAL???? Like clockwork they show some sales at certain times over the last 3 years and then off goes the tracking switch.

If you don't use a BHO or the SE coupon listing trick they are all duds.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well, I see 20 return days from drugstore for over a year now.

7 Return days for Lillian Vernon at least for a year now.

7 Return Days for REI since 2000...

Many of these stores have had more return days for much longer than a few months. Some it has been for over a year.

I think it is unfair to call them shitty merchants...

Many of those stores on the list are my best performing merchants.

The reason affiliates have to deal with merchants offering 0 day cookies or 2% commission on the sales of electronics is simple.

Affiliates like Michael make there pocket change with these merchants and then have the audacity to stick up for them.

What Michael does not seem to grasp is we the affiliate actually run the game, not the merchant. If all affiliates dropped any merchant that refused to maintain a reasonably cook or commission rate.

I have watch merchants come and go and then those that RETURNED to the affiliate game. You know me I have the “cohunes” to call and ask why the return. TRAFFIC dropped to almost nothing without the help of the affiliate.

We are stuck with terms that are crap because of the affiliate that is willing to settle for chump change!

SandraR

ABW Ambassador
    "Micheal says you gotta look at the bottom line - well, most networks or merchants don't give you an epc indicator to judge what the bottom line will be."

I think he meant his bottom line. I don't care what other affiliates epc is with the merchant, i care what mine is, how much I make with the merchant.

"What Michael does not seem to grasp is we the affiliate actually run the game"

Depends on the size of the merchant. Usually the merchant runs the game. Small merchants are usually more dependent on affiliates, so there you have some say. A Barnes or Best Buy don't need affiliates as they bring in very little $$ so they can have low cookies and affiliates will promote them because people trust big brands and they convert.

I don't like 0 or 1 day cookies but if they convert for me and send me checks it would be stupid for me to drop them. Some of the 0 and 1 day cookie merchants i have actually have a higher EPC then those with longer cookies. Conversion ratio and how much $$$$ i make with a merchant is more important to me.

I work in lounge pants

ABW Ambassador
    Yep trust. yep. While with all things equal, I will pick the longer cookie, but personal conversion is the most important.

To be honest. To keep myself sane. I pretend all merchants are zero day. Because with all the crap out there, most of them really are.

Chet

15 years and counting
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Connie Berg - Well, I see 20 return days from drugstore for over a year now.

7 Return days for Lillian Vernon at least for a year now.

7 Return Days for REI since 2000...

Many of these stores have had more return days for much longer than a few months. Some it has been for over a year. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Connie, why do you think these people are more affiliate friendly, now? Because they have competition.
    I don't promote unethical merchants and I'm not alone. I don't have any of the merchants listed by happypoon on my websites and I'm doing just fine with LS.
    Several years ago, I would have been begging them to accept me as an affiliate. I don't need them anymore. They were so arrogant at that time, some are still, others are begging to have me on board.

It's not the big that eat the small... it's the fast that eat the slow. Jennings & Haughton

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast