Amazon.com has zero return days, but that doesn't seem to matter. They still perform well for me.

With their name recognition and excellent promotions, they're always extremely popular on my site.

They do very well converting traffic I send their way into sales. Much better than most merchants.

Those two factors make a great combination.

I always prefer reasonable return days and high commissions, but it's the bottom line that matters.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

amazon have now 1 return day - making quite a difference overall. it only confirms how important return days are.

Do they really? Where did you hear that?

I just checked on their associate site, and don't see any information about it. I just checked my conversion ratio, and October is virtually identical to September for me (10.80% vs. 10.74%). I also checked my affiliate link, and couldn't tell that a cookie was being set (which would be necessary for return days).

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Amazon does well for me, as well. Especially, selling more units to each customers I sents, with their very sophisticated tools and services, I guess.

Also, on Linkshare, I have two merchants doing well for me this month: REI & Land's End. They both have 0 day cookies.

Anyway, my site is a month old, only depend on Google for traffic, so it's hard to give dependable statistics.

SamBay
    http://www.shopsofnet.com

Hi Michael,

Amazon is one of my top-performings stores too. With their promotions and free shipping specials I don't find their lack of return days to be much of an issue. They're great!

Maggie
    DealHunting.com

Return days seem to be more important for purchases of bigger ticket items.

My opinion is that targeted visitors to Amazon are very inclined to buy (I'm assuming books and media here). Not having cookies won't effect conversion much.

When it comes to things that people think over for a while, or tend to have questions about, there's a gestation period between first visit and closing a sale.

I'm curious as to how many more affiliate sales there would be if Amazon had return days. Does anyone know if they have experimented with this?

David Nguyen
    Nexus Imports, LLC
    www.nexusimports.com/affiliates/index.shtml

O return days means if a shopper buys a book on the first visit to your site you will get commission for that purchase. But when that same shopper returns to your site the 2nd, 3rd, 4th times and makes a buy, you get nothing. Those affiliates that are satisfied with first time only purchases may be happy, but I believe they would be much happier if they were compensated for all their efforts, especially if they were compensated when they bring returning shoppers to a merchant. Anything other that a long term or continuously renewable cookie is an attempt to get free traffic. The merchant looses nothing by having a long term cookie. The merhant that shortens cookies and claiming they have proven that the affiliate doesn't benefit from a long cookie is lying and is only trying to cut expenses by not having to pay for the advertising that brought him additional or returning customers.

Some would like you to believe and agree that once the shopper has visited their site through yours, the shopper is theirs. Not! The shopper returning to my site may be directed to his competition next time.

Gene
    TCS

Not getting return shoppers is a big loss of commissions. Especially, with the fact that they are now gobbling up whole stores are intergrating them with their regular merchandise. They are competing with us.
    Luke
    Have you promoted your brand name today?

15 years and counting
    Amazon is no more just a bookstore but a super affiliate competing with us. I'm thinking twice before sending my traffic to them. They are everywhere in Google (even in the smallest niches) and have good rankings. Yes, they do convert well and I'm doing OK with them but I don't like it. What's going to be their next move?

Do they still have no return days, or just 1 day as someone stated couple of years ago?

No wonder I haven't made any sales in jewelry. I have their jewelry banner and computer banner on top of most of the pages just because they offer everything and I hate to keep replacing the banners.

Guess I should have second thought?

snakebaby

it has always been a period of 24 hours, unless your visitor placed an order in the shopping cart. that could persist for a while.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    All merchants who have BHO partnerships with those hundreds of popup S/W affiliate effectively have sesson only cookies. That really means a huge number of major merchants give 90% of commissions to the BHO's or cookie stuffers if the shopper doesn't buy on first try.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread