Confusing Terms by CJ Merchant Gravity Defyer
    One of my CJ merchant's sent out new terms that are confusing. In their terms they restrict SEM for their branded terms but all their text links include branded terms.

I wish merchants would understand what SEM really is. I sent this response.

FYI,
    Your terms now prohibit SEM for branded terms. SEM by definition includes organic SEO which means all your affiliates are now prevented from posting any of your text links on their sites, since the search engines may index pages that include your links and then be in violation of your extremely restrictive terms.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am old fashioned and use SEO or PPC. To me SEM means both. Next thing they will prohibit display advertising including the banners from the program.

Chuck I completely agree. The AM replied and said "SEM does don’t necessarily include SEO, and in this case we are primarily talking about any paid marketing on search engines".

To be clear and I hope other AMs read this post, here's a definition of SEM:
    "Short for search engine marketing, SEM is often used to describe acts associated with researching, submitting and positioning a Web site within search engines to achieve maximum exposure of your Web site. SEM includes things such as search engine optimization, paid listings and other search-engine related services and functions that will increase exposure and traffic to your Web site"(What is SEM? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer Dictionary).
    Last edited by bibby; January 18th, 2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

4. Thanks From:

So I emailed the AM what I've posted here about the terms being confusing and received this response:

"t is worth noting that if a publisher’s only way to promote our products is to use SEO techniques to make a landing page rank for branded terms that ads no value to our product, that is not a publisher we are interested it. People searching for our brand will find us. However, if a publisher is creating a positive discussion or promoting our product in a value added way and ranks organically we have no problem with that.

In general we would rather have the rules in place and make exceptions for publishers. If a publisher loves our products and works hard to promote it to unique consumer base that is not already planning on buying our products, we will gladly make exceptions where reasonable. "

This is ridiculous. If you're going to set terms for your program, I believe they should be clear and free from confusion.

The AM intended the terms to reflect PPC or other paid search and is trying to confuse the matter.

Intelligent affilaites who understand what SEM is, would likely utilize all forms of SEM. So if a merchant doesn't specify that organic means of SEO are unacceptable they would be confused.

The other thing to note is that organic seo doesn't only mean slapping text on a page and trying to make it work but in the case of a deals site, it could mean placing a deal and trying to optimize a site which isn't unethical.

So, bibby, what merchant is this? I've signed on with a ton of CJ merchants and must confess I'm not doing much with many of them -- and tend to miss a lot of merchant emails such as this. (I know, my bad!)

I might want to drop such a merchant if I knew who it is?

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

The merchant is Gravity Defyer.
    Last edited by Chuck Hamrick; January 18th, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby View Post
    The merchant is Gravity Defyer.
    Ah, nope. Not a merchant I'm working with. Although looking at their products and website, I think they would fit very nicely into at least three of my websites.

Of course, after reading this thread, I think I'll pass rather than submit myself humbly at the feet of their affiliate manager for his blessing to have the privilege of sending them business.

Gary
    Generate more fake news.

9. Thanks From:

So they want us to reach customers and tell them "we have a very cool shoe to sell", when they ask What do you offer, you reply "We are not at liberty to tell"

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread