Questions from a Manufacture
    Hello All,

I have been reading this fabulous forum for a few days and have a couple of general questions for Affiliate Marketers.

First some background:
    I have a wholesale company (in business 36+ years) that sells to the retail gift and home decor channel. We have between 1200 and 2000 items at any given time.

We do not sell directly to consumers but do have an in-house affiliate system for our retailers which is in the form of a store that they link to & enables them to sell our products on line.

Only a very few of our customers have done this some get several sales each month, some only a few. I assume this is in direct relationship to their own sites traffic.

We also have a drop ship program and those customers seem to do better in general. I'm assuming that these customers are more savvy on SEO and advertising.

We are considering opening our affiliate program to independent affiliate marketers.

Okay, now the questions.

Do affiliate marketers prefer to market a product or products or is it better to let them market an entire on line store of products?

Our products range in retail price from a few dollars to a top tier of $60-$75. What is a fair commission? Or does price have nothing to do with it?

In our in-house system, We run specials & sales from time to time. Is this a good thing or bad thing for affiliates?

That's it (for now) But I'm sure I will have some more questions.

I look forward to your responses.

Thank You,
    Scott

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by clueless View Post
    Do affiliate marketers prefer to market a product or products or is it better to let them market an entire on line store of products?
    >>>Depending on their business model or how their sites are set up, they could try to sell one or all. They should have access to all. Datafeeds help.

Our products range in retail price from a few dollars to a top tier of $60-$75. What is a fair commission? Or does price have nothing to do with it?
    >>>What is your average ROI? Remember also, there is no commission if no sale. Do you want to reward for new customers only? That should cost you more. Lots to consider here. Personally I'd like to make 5 to 10% or more depending on your cost.

In our in-house system, We run specials & sales from time to time. Is this a good thing or bad thing for affiliates?
    >>>It impacts your profit whether an affiliate or the house sells. Why penalize the affiliate?

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ View Post
    >>>Depending on their business model or how their sites are set up, they could try to sell one or all. They should have access to all. Datafeeds help.

>>>What is your average ROI? Remember also, there is no commission if no sale. Do you want to reward for new customers only? That should cost you more. Lots to consider here. Personally I'd like to make 5 to 10% or more depending on your cost.

We want to reward for sales.

>>>It impacts your profit whether an affiliate or the house sells. Why penalize the affiliate?
    I'm not saying that we sell but that we put items on sale for a reduced price or sometimes run run a coupon type special. Do Affiliates like the idea of items "on sale" or do they prefer full price?

Thanks for the reply

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Scott, take a look at this article for some insight into affiliates.

Here are screening questions I ask when approached to launch or take over an affiliate program.

What is your monthly traffic in unique visitors?
    What is your site converting at?
    What is your EPC for your in-house program?

Its helpful to check several networks to see what your competitors are offering for commissions, EPC and cookie length.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick View Post
    Scott, take a look at this article for some insight into affiliates.
    Thanks for the reply Chuck,

Was there supposed to be a link to an article?

Scott

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread