Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Warner Bros Shop new terms for Non-Commissionable Items
    I've never seen a merchant do this before:

Warner Bros Shop is changing their TOS to add totally ambiguous terms that make the purchase of "large" quantities of a single product Non-Commissionable.

But how many is a "large quantity"? Try and figure that out:
    "Any order of large quantities (approximately 5 or more of a single item) that is intended for resale will not be eligible for commission."
    "approximately 5"? - Is 4 approximately 5? How about 3? Or 2?
    "intended for resale" - You have to guess the customer's intent?

I guess we all have to be mind readers now.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

That is surely the most insane terms I have seen in my affiliate carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound View Post
    I guess we all have to be mind readers now.
    Nah, we just have to be totally unambiguous in our responses to crap like this.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Why in the world would they want to punish affiliates who bring them large sales(more than 5)? How do they know an order is "intended for resale"? This ridiculous term only give WBshop an excuse to wipe out affiliate commissions.

Hi All,

Looks like we need to do some explaining here. I'm glad I came across this post because we had no idea people were upset about our new terms.

First, let me explain why we put these new terms into place. Over the holidays and the past few weeks, we were seeing orders come through for $10k, $20k and even more. Now, I know some people are huge WB fans, but I highly doubt anyone was purchasing $30,000 worth of DVDs for their Christmas presents WBshop.com confirmed that these orders were placed by resellers who found that by shopping WBshop.com's sales and placing their orders through the cash back sites, they could get a really good deal that rivaled their wholesale prices. WBshop allowed a lot of these orders to go through but when they just kept coming in, they decided they had to disallow it in the future.

Next, how does it affect you, practically speaking? It probably doesn't. Unless you're a cash back site, there's no incentive for a reseller to make his/her purchase through your site. Which means, if someone comes to your site and purchases 5 or 6 copies of a specific DVD, you'll be fine. (Although we picked that number because statistically, most of WBshop.com's orders don't see more than 5 of any specific title) WBshop.com has also spoken with these resellers and notified them that they cannot continue this practice.

So why did we add these terms? In short, we added these terms to allow us to cancel any invalid orders without any breach of contract. Again, in most cases, these sales will go through just fine. The cash back sites most affected by this were contacted personally and most other affiliates will not be affected.

In general, if you ever have any questions, whether it's regarding a cancelled order or anything else, you can always feel free to contact us. That's exactly what we're here for

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread